Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Can any of the Russian speakers here tell me what the actual SOP for cleaning AK-74s is in the Russian Army? My experience has been that you have to clean them fastidiously if you're shooting corrosive ammo, or you start getting corrosion at the barrel fixtures and the muzzle brake seizes up. I don't think any of this stops the gun from working, but I'm wondering if there's either a trick to it or if Russian conscripts typically don't care.

Cuz... I'm just sayin', but on this side of the pond everyone bitches about having to clean AR-15s and M4s...

Can any of the Russian speakers here tell me what the actual SOP for cleaning AK-74s is in the Russian Army? My experience has been that you have to clean them fastidiously if you're shooting corrosive ammo, or you start getting corrosion at the barrel fixtures and the muzzle brake seizes up. I don't think any of this stops the gun from working, but I'm wondering if there's either a trick to it or if Russian conscripts typically don't care.

Cuz... I'm just sayin', but on this side of the pond everyone bitches about having to clean AR-15s and M4s...

I used to have a translation for the AK/AKM manual, it was basically the old "Clean after shooting stopped, then for three days afterward, run a patch down the pipe once a day" kind of stuff.

The best way to deal with any "corrosive" element in a munition, primer or propellant is; If you're anywhere where there is more than little humidity, flush with boiling water, dry and then oil. Otherwise you're in the desert, and it's a non issue.

Teaching everyone to clean as if it's a worst case scenario ensures the stuff works in those cases, and gets them used to/familiar with the piece.

I used to have a translation for the AK/AKM manual, it was basically the old "Clean after shooting stopped, then for three days afterward, run a patch down the pipe once a day" kind of stuff.

The best way to deal with any "corrosive" element in a munition, primer or propellant is; If you're anywhere where there is more than little humidity, flush with boiling water, dry and then oil. Otherwise you're in the desert, and it's a non issue.

Teaching everyone to clean as if it's a worst case scenario ensures the stuff works in those cases, and gets them used to/familiar with the piece.

I have a translation of the AK-74 manual and it says something similar. I was more wondering what actual practice looked like.

I do know that it is possible to neglect an AK to where it will no longer function.  The worst was a thoroughly abused PKM that simply refused to work.

It's owner was a twit with far more money than brains or mechanical aptitude, and was thouroughly afraid to strip the piece to let the big chunks fall out.

I'd imagine the practice for cleaning the AK in the barracks is to look busy, wait for sergeant to leave, then kick back and read decadent 1980s Playboy magazines while listening to The Talking Heads on a black market Sony Walkman.

Even for Donward, this is chillingly accurate

He even got the fucking band right  :blink:

We did the same thing. If there is a way to get around cleaning rifles, soldiers will find it. 

And I am proud of my little contribution of band tshirts, cassette tapes, and other swanky western items to my family in the Украї́нська РСР.  I hope they found their way into some soldiers hands and helped him sham out on duty. 

On an actual firearms related note, I had the chance to put a few rounds down range with a FN 5.7 and I am still on the fence about it. Anyone have any thoughts, pro or con, about it? 

We did the same thing. If there is a way to get around cleaning rifles, soldiers will find it. 

And I am proud of my little contribution of band tshirts, cassette tapes, and other swanky western items to my family in the Украї́нська РСР.  I hope they found their way into some soldiers hands and helped him sham out on duty. 

On an actual firearms related note, I had the chance to put a few rounds down range with a FN 5.7 and I am still on the fence about it. Anyone have any thoughts, pro or con, about it? 

Thought it was a neat range toy. Very flat trajectory and little recoil, would be fun for silhouette or NRA.

But for daily carry?

Makarov or a CZ82/83. Maybe a Remington 51 if I could find another.