Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

So, besides that post being content-free, what about that guy turns people off so much?

I mean, he seems like a douchebag, but we don't exactly have a shortage of those.

Presumably jealousy. Also, fair warning but I'm about to link to a BuzzFeed article:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/this-millionaire-playboy-is-the-most-interesting-man-on-inst#.kh4b5Wj0bl

But yeah, you can't say he is not living life to its absolute fullest.

There are a variety of reasons Sturgeon which I'll try to relay. (Sucks to have to rely on hunting and pecking on my handheld because of the obstacle of firing up, keeping charged and tethering my laptop).

Yeah. The guy comes off as a douchebag. And he's doing stupid and unsafe shit with firearms. The greater sin is that he isn't funny while trying to be while doing stupid and unsafe shit with firearms. You know I'm a fan of Carnikcon and they do stupid shit there too. But it is funny and clever. And that matters. This guy is just a stupid bro.

In a broader context is the type of firearm culture that we want to see promoted. And to me there's too much focus on buying the most expensive shit out there, burning through thousands of dollars of ammo making noise until you break the gun. This comprises so much of current gun culture and gun journalism/YouTube channels that it has become obnoxious.

Using an analogy that I hope Jeeps can appreciate, there's a similar attitude with off-roading/four wheeling. To me a good day four-wheeling is one where you can go out on the trail with your friends, overcome a reasonable number of obstacles and get somewhere with a great view where you can relax with your buddies and have a responsible drink.

Then you have the guys whose idea of entertainment is to thrash their equipment, make noise and rip up the terrain. I find this obnoxious. And expensive. Which is why this sort of behavior is promoted by magazines who rely on advertising by parts sellers who prey upon the insecurities of guys with money who must have the bestest and most expensive toy.

To me gun douchebag is the same. Obviously he is rich and can afford his hobby and has a lot of expensive automatic noisemakers.

Which creates an attitude in the "gun community" with Joe Average that he can't be happy as a shooter unless he is burning through thousands of rounds of ammo on a $10,000 plus gun.

It's the emphasis on stuff and buying stuff and you gotta have the latest stuff to be happy shooting. It creates unrealistic expectations when the real lesson should be that you can have a great time out with your buddies using a used .32 revolver and an old Winchester bolt action rifle. That's not to say new stuff isn't cool and all. But are we really learning about that watching hookers jerking a trigger blasting away at drones?

I think if whatshisfacerichboy makes people feel insecure and that they need to buy a bunch of dumb toys, that's their problem, not his.

I also think you can have a fun time with a wide variety of guns, and people generally realize this. Having said that, if I want to make new friends at the range, I bring my AR or AK.

Sorry Alex. Not jealousy. Pure disdain.

Forgive me if I'm not impressed with this dude who (let me guess) inherited his money and plays professional poker while engaging in conspicuous consumption to fill the void in his life.

That isn't "living the dream".

He's basically the modern equivalent of "The Great Gatsby" but with less class and poorer taste. It is the type of lifestyle which is anathema with America, our culture and how this country was founded. Which is why that sort of behavior has routinely been frowned upon.

So yeah, mini post on the QBZ-03 or, why does this rifle exist?

First, differences between the QBZ-03 and QBZ-95A which was made around the same time the more notable QBZ-95 was made, most people don't even know it was a thing.

The story I was told is that it was a parallel development with QBZ-95, and originally they were supposed to be the same rifle.  It could be switched from bullpup to conventional configuration ala MSBS.

Dont be so surprised.

I transfer Springfield XDs to people all the time because they want to buy American (nun a dat Glock euro crap!1!!!) and/or want to support the age old Springfield Armory.

Edit: I would like to state that I believe .30 Remington AR edges our .25-.45 for dumbest name.

Imagine my excitement when I hear from a company that they have plenty of .30 Remington in stock, only to be made aware that .30 Remington AR is a thing.

I'm not surprised. I'm annoyed. :)

Here's a fun claim from the SRC website about the .25-45:

• Proven on Antelope, Whitetail, Mule Deer, Mountain Lion and Boar.

You mean, exactly the same animals 5.56 is good for? Well, I would use 77grs on Mulies, but still.

As for the claim that the short, stubby bullet is better for long distances?

uRzs2lL.png

Ks4EPr7.png

nhwmRfi.png

So whenever a manufacturer introduces a new round for the AR-15, the first question anyone should be asking is: Does this round offer anything versus widely available 75/77gr 5.56 ammo, especially Mk. 262?

The answer is almost always no. The only exceptions I can think of that aren't silly big bore stuff like .458 SOCOM are .300 Blackout (it can uses big subsonic bullets, the supersonic ballistics are crap) and 6.5 Grendel (which isn't everything its proponents make it out to be - but it legitimately has good ballistics).

Ok, rather then be reasonable and send a file....

LoooSeR! GIVE ME STRENGTH!

9xEGO5R.jpg

MZJ7CJL.jpg

mA1yoZN.jpg Just your typical guards and border guards at various locations of some importance.

jeGI5yT.jpgShell mid ejection, just liked this one.

vgzPeoM.jpg

3 part technical sheet below, no translation (yet.)

B2oPR5s.jpg

X81Dr5x.jpg

gYa2tUx.jpg

Kr6XLLy.jpg

cwTJObO.jpg

2Tece30.jpg

XsMANW8.jpgOlder image judging by the look of some of the gear, gimme dat water son!

JuEabv7.jpg

bj1LF2O.jpgOddly, that sight is supposedly not a locally made version, but a genuine EOTech.

XX6PNEk.jpg

cJzeUG7.jpg

ehOUz4s.jpgI'm not sure why this is relevant, but I dig it.

wGEj0IY.jpg

2azHhBh.jpg

A27BdRN.jpgDear Alex, a small part of my wishlist on your next visit to the PRC. (Though, get the 95-1 variants is all.)

jWrYNTX.jpg

qLl43uO.jpg

FZ3CxpP.jpg Rare photo if real and not a drill but, 2 arrests with the man on the left watching with a QBZ-03. (There was a second photo, the man in the back has his hands and feet cuffed with another dog and soldiers holding him, he's not going anywhere.)

Aside from the QBZ-03, some other shit too.

rkT16P5.jpgA model of Rifle grenade for the QBZ-95 I haven't actually seen before.

biLaKIY.jpg

6z5QQso.pngQJY-88 being operated in Point GPMG configuration, man on the right has extra belts and spotting goggles for long range suppressive fire spotting.

A bit back on topic.

gB7rpp8.png

pBEM2tu.png

Zs7nkJu.jpg

b75d3Zf.jpgRifle grenade.

0bPaZwS.jpg

qYvUj6S.jpg

6qyPuaD.jpg

7zPt4Hr.jpg

2833bba79a0a3ac2ec4d9efdcd036f18.pngNot really sure about the context behind this, think it's from a more rural place as I've really never seen anyone dress that way near the very populated east coast during my 2 trips, I'll have to ask Jiayi when she's home later.

Anyway, is that enough selection for POTD material or did you want more?

Excellent, thank you very much. Not to impose further, but can we get a translation for that article?

Probably tomorrow, Jiayi got right home and crashed basically since she got up at like 5 AM today.

In Protestant Work Ethic America you have an arbitrary line of socially acceptable behavior that artistic folks can dance around giving us songs, poetry, novels and paintings that the knowledgeable among us can appreciate for tweaking societal taboos just so.

In Hedonism America, someone like Oscar Wilde would probably wind up as the manager of a community theater.

On the other hand, in Hedonism America, one can be offensive by simply knowing that Lefty Loosey, Rightsy Tightsy because it is a microaggression against liberal women's studies majors by implying that they might be sexually promiscuous sluts.

Also. Epic gun pic post Khand-e!

So, besides that post being content-free, what about that guy turns people off so much?

I mean, he seems like a douchebag, but we don't exactly have a shortage of those.

"Turns off"? 

Meh, it's behavior I've seen off and on for most of my life.  God knows I've done my share of converting money into noise, and it gets very hollow, very quickly.  You either find some other means of enjoying those expensive toys or you go to something else.

I'm betting he will move on to the next adrenaline rush in a few years.

http://k-a-r-d-e-n.livejournal.com/36711.html

GSh-18 is almost a cr@p. 

h-9870.jpg

h-9940.jpg

h-9929.jpg

h-9872.jpg

h-9942.jpg

h-9933.jpg

h-9873.jpg

h-9945.jpg

h-9881.jpg

h-3827.jpg

h-9896.jpg

h-9895.jpg

h-9885.jpg

h-9952.jpg

h-9904.jpg

h-9898.jpg

h-9905.jpg

h-9900.jpg

h-9906.jpg

h-9917.jpg

h-9909.jpg

h-9916.jpg

h-9913.jpg

h-9912.jpg

h-9911.jpg

h-9932.jpg

h-9918.jpg

h-9902.jpg

h-9931.jpg

h-9930.jpg

h-9927.jpg

h-9943.jpg

h-9939.jpg

h-9944.jpg

h-9938.jpg

"Pistol, though it seems relatively compact, is actually not so compact ..."

h-3853.jpg

h-3855.jpg

"Well, about the quality of manufacturing ..."

h-9869.jpg

Karden's impressions:

"

- Light, especially without ammo.

- "peculiar" triger - heavy and unpredictable.

- Recoil is forcing pistol muzzle to "jump" high

- Magazine lips design and impossibility of manual loading of more than ten rounds makes magazine loading an unpleasant task.

- The loading device has no place to attach sling to tie it. Otherwise, it is not difficult to lose ...

All these difficulties with loading magazine suggests this scenario of use of the gun - fire two mags, and that forget about the gun.

- Because of the great efforts that are needed to load a mag with the help of the loading device, mag loading can be done only on hard surface/solid support, and it will be very difficult to load mags in any other position.

Of course, the situation with mags loading for pistol in combat is unlikely to happen, but sometimes the life of a military man presents such surprises ..."

From comments:

"The desire to carry it is lost because of such miracles?

- Yes, it is lost."

"- I cleaned it twice and both times lubricant was rust-colored ..."

"It looks terrible. As if it was machined from billet with a rasp.

- There is some disharmony in how it looks.

- The second assumption have a real basis..."

"From domestic pistols the GSh-18 is probably the best, but compared to our foreign guns - stone age. -rant-

- As strange as it sounds, but I will say as folk said, "There is nobody there to fuck designers, manufacturers and officials. We don't have normal competition and there is no concept of "Doing it for country"

"- Assigned resource - 4000 shots with very angry 7N31 bullets.

- Glock is cheaper only abroad. It is 2 times more expensive than GSh here.
There have been cases of premature death of Glocks from 7N21 bullets in units on the territory of the Russian Federation."