Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Zaloga Interview

Walter_Sobchak

Richard Anderson is the hero tanknet deserves. Also, he wrote a very good book. Buy it if you want to know just about everything possible about d-day

I have that book, Forczyk's book on tank warfare, and Yeide's Weapons of the Tankers in my Amazon cart. I just haven't bought them yet. 

Zaloga talked about the cost of the Tiger versus its contemporaries in Reichsmarks (which we all have hashed over as being a very ineffective way to accurately measure the cost of the vehicle). I wish we'd all just agree to use man-hours as the accepted norm.

Zaloga talked about the cost of the Tiger versus its contemporaries in Reichsmarks (which we all have hashed over as being a very ineffective way to accurately measure the cost of the vehicle). I wish we'd all just agree to use man-hours as the accepted norm.

Not just accepted, but necessary/required in any "cost of tank X vs cost of tank Y" analysis. 

A few months ago, someone chanced upon a combat report where a panther was lit on fire from a frontal transmission hit.

Might have been a freak occurrence, but given the whining in WoT about that, it was pretty funny to read.

Tank usually are getting hit into upper part of hull and turret (turret have higher probability to be hit, even if it is smaller). I have somewhere Israel-made report about that matter, although it is about T-72/62/55 tanks. In case of T-72 almost 70% of hits were turret hits, which is crazy taking into account size of turret.

So yeah, lower plates were made to be less protected to save weight on a part that have very low chances to be hit. Which means that transmissions were shot very rarely in general.

I'd be curious to know what about the panther's transmission made it a fire trap for the crews.  Any chance you can do follow-up Walter?

No idea really.  I felt a bit bad that the interview ended up on my blog rather than where it was supposed to go.  The original idea was that there was a possibility that it could make it into a print magazine, but Scout.com pulled the plug on that.  The good thing is that at least the interview didn't end up buried in a subscriber only website.  And of course having it on my blog has helped me get a lot more pageviews.  Too bad I don't have any ads on the page....

• 2 weeks later...

His quoted RM figures are different from the usual Wehraboo babble, so it at least looks as though he tried to quote figures from the same time period and same level of production maturity; as opposed to the Wehraboos who tend to quote first-run MK IVs with higher cost versus late-run Panthers.

I've know about Zaloga for years, and IIRC, even met him very breifly once when I was a little kid at a hobby show down in the states.  His work were always very coveted by my Dad, but were kinda pricy at the time for us, as we weren't very well off economiically at the time and blowing $85 on a book was a no-go