Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

1 hour ago, T___A said:

If the dems were smart they would've accepted Gorsuch and filibuster whoever Trump nominates this time around. 

We can only hope that Ginsburg is next. Stack the court like they are bricks in the border wall!

1 hour ago, Donward said:

So Justice Kennedy is retiring?

Well I guess that means the American Left can stop pretending to care about illegal immigrant children being detained and can move on to the current crisis du jour. 

Yeah, what a day, the left must be shitting themselves. Kennedy announces he's retiring, and the supreme court rules against public employee unions and they ruled the state can't force Christian Pregnancy Crisis Centers to advertise abortions. 

What a great day for America!

Oh and let's not forget the Travel Ban ruling!

26 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Yeah, what a day, the left must be shitting themselves. Kennedy announces he's retiring, and the supreme court rules against public employee unions and they ruled the state can't force Christian Pregnancy Crisis Centers to advertise abortions. 

What a great day for America!

Oh and let's not forget the Travel Ban ruling!

#stillnottired

Now, we need NFA reform, healthcare reform, and a few other things while we are at it. Kick them while they're down.

11 hours ago, T___A said:

If the dems were smart they would've accepted Gorsuch and filibuster whoever Trump nominates this time around. 

Yeah, they definitely showed their hand too early on that one.

But who could have possibly foreseen the possibility that Trump would potentially appoint three SC justices in his first term?  It's not like it's really, really obvious or anything.

I had not realized this before, but the Janus vs. AFSCME decision is a big loss for the Democrats.

Yes, I realize that Trump said that it was a big loss for the Democrats:

Y8Ts3CP.png?1

But the guy has a penchant for hyperbole, so some times you have to follow these things up yourself.

GbpQr5o.png?1

Public sector union donations were indeed heavily slanted towards the Democrats, and the donations of public sector unions were a high percentage of total union donations:

SdpJrWt.png?1

You can see that public sector union donations are about a quarter of the total.  Putting a dent in that will most definitely materially hurt the Democrats.

(source)

This week has been a really ridiculous windfall for Trump.

I want to note that despite being spineless McConnell was smart enough to only do the things the Democrats have done themselves. The thing with Garland was a repeat of Bork and to a lesser extent Justice Thomas. It is also an extension of  that time the Dems kept two appeal justice positions open for years during the Bush administration. Reid also declared he was going to use the Nuclear Option when the Democrats won the election. I think by doing that McConnell put the Democrats on slipper ground.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:43 AM, Collimatrix said:

-snip-

This is genius. 

Using Neural networks to make ads. 
Using the virtual space of the internet to do millions of simulations a day.

This is just GENIUS. You can't do this in reality, as every sheet of paper costs money, but in virtual reality, you can make trillions of copies without costing a dime.

The possibilities are just endless.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:09 PM, LostCosmonaut said:

Anybody want to throw up odds that if the Democrats win in 2020 they'll try to increase the number of justices on the Supreme Court?

Zero, because unless the Republicans run Mitch McConnell, the Democrats will lose.

I'd love to see them try anyway.

17 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

And it makes me question those cheering for the Leopard.

If The King in Orange wants to gaslight the Republican Party, I'm fine with that.  Fuck those people too.  Honestly, the back and forth in this thread seems to break down like so:

A:"Guys, I'm worried that Trump appears to be exhibiting a repeated pattern of trying to damage institutions and traditions, embarrass officials, and glibly dismissing any criticism with a series of baffling and nonsensical one-liners that he clearly improvised."

B:"FUCK YES THAT'S WHAT I VOTED FOR!  IA IA, TRUMP FHTAGN!  HAIL THE ALL-CONSUMING MADNESS AND MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"