Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

Just now, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Everything is sharper and more defined with our info-boxes dumping stuff at us 24/7. 

I'm not arguing that the political climate is a bit different from the previous 30 years. I just feel as though context is crucial. 

I feel like half the time articles, journalists, talking heads, twitter feeds, etc are trying to convince me how close we are to a radical violent split akin to a civil war.

And the rest of the time I can't help but notice how small the loudest contingent is, and how large the moderate and delightfully tolerant contingent is. 

See, this is why I have a hard time with the 'right' vs 'left' narrative.  Because I view myself as pretty hard left, but, man, there are a lot of people who the right claims to speak for me who I view as downright fucking nuts.  And I view it as a media problem, not a political alignment problem. Because there is a distinct lack of actual reporting, rather there is a reliance on 3 second sound bites and tweets that lack context and nuance.

1 minute ago, Belesarius said:

I view myself as pretty hard

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL 'BOUT IT! CANADIAN MAKES LEWD REMARKS TOWARDS INNOCENT AMERICAN POSTERS! 

When asked for a statement, President Trump grimaced, hand hovering over the Red Button with Syria still smoking in the background. "Canadians think they're better. sad!"

---

See? It can happen anywhere, at any time. 

From what I've seen, there's a certain context and narrative that's being inflated that's simply not indicative of the majority of the populace. 

6 hours ago, Belesarius said:

Yeah right...  If you actually believe that I've got some swampland in the mojave desert to sell you.

You're wrong man, If Obama had put this guy up, the press would have acted like he was the only possible choice for the Job, while giving Obama a handjob just to show their love.  The level of hate sperg for all things pro trump in the mainstream press was shocking, at first, and now just serves to further drop their credibility with the US people who don't buy the blatant anti American Propaganda the press spews. Obama being the worthless Cunt he was, did nothing for the VA, but he gets a free pass on that too. 

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

If Obama (or Bush, or Clinton, or Reagon, or...) had nominated him, they would have properly vetted him first and said, oh, wait, this ain't gonna work.

You can't blame the opposition for doing what they are supposed to do and finding flaws in your candidates.  That's how politics work.  If an NFL coach names an unknown highschool player as his starting quarterback and he gets destroyed by the opposing team, is it the other teams fault that the highschool player lost?  No, you blame the coach for making such a bone-headed decision.  

So you don't think the Whitehouse Doctor for several Admins was vetted?  That seems pretty unlikely. It seems far more likely, anti-Trump staffers or press are making shit up to fuck with Trump, like they've been doing from the start, and they already had it in for this Doc because he disappointed them by saying Trump was healthy and sane. 

7 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Obama's credentials were a bit thin compared to some older candidates, but US Senator is a pretty normal resume for a Presidential candidate.  State governors seem to do better overall in winning the Presidency, but in general congress-critters are regarded as qualified for the job.  The unique thing about Trump is his complete lack of experience at any level of governmental service.  It's a true break from precedent.  You might consider it a good thing, but there is no denying that it's a bit unusual.

I could say the same thing about your devotion to Mr. Trump.  Anyhow, it might shock you to know that not all my friends are "Democrats", nor do I discuss politics with all of them. Life is far too short to limit ones social circle along narrow political lines.  

What devotion to Trump?

Mine?

Bwahahaha that's the funniest shit you've said yet Walt!

You're so far off base here you're not even wrong... but it's still pretty fucking funny.

I didn't vote FOR TRUMP... I voted for NOT HILLARY and not the evil preparation H alliance that was the rest of the Republican pack...

So far NOT HILLARY and NOT MCCAIN/JEB is doing a great job of not being any of these people!

At the very least we get to see new and exciting fuckups rather than business as usual.

That's really all I was hoping to get and I got it that even before November 8th...

The two major parties doing everything they can to discredit themselves and the mainstream media coming along for the ride is just icing on the cake at this point.

So what reason again do I have to be unhappy?

Because the government isn't functioning for shit and fucking up everything it touches?

It was going to do this no matter what!

At least this way some awareness is being generated, and I strongly suspect the seeds of real change are getting the time to take root and grow just a little bit more daily.

Even if the Dems take the midterms Walt, the seeds that have been growing since that day in November all but guarantee that any "victory" your team has will be very short lived and pyrrhic...

And for that thought alone I wake up with a ghost of a smile every fucking morning.

3 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

You're wrong man, If Obama had put this guy up, the press would have acted like he was the only possible choice for the Job, while giving Obama a handjob just to show their love.  The level of hate sperg for all things pro trump in the mainstream press was shocking, at first, and now just serves to further drop their credibility with the US people who don't buy the blatant anti American Propaganda the press spews. Obama being the worthless Cunt he was, did nothing for the VA, but he gets a free pass on that too. 

So you don't think the Whitehouse Doctor for several Admins was vetted?  That seems pretty unlikely. It seems far more likely, anti-Trump staffers or press are making shit up to fuck with Trump, like they've been doing from the start, and they already had it in for this Doc because he disappointed them by saying Trump was healthy and sane. 

Jeeps, what exactly defines "Anti-American"?  Generally I cringe when I see that phrase, it's right out of the McCarthy playbook.

8 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Jeeps, what exactly defines "Anti-American"?  Generally I cringe when I see that phrase, it's right out of the McCarthy playbook.

When the Press goes after Trump for doing something that's his right as President because they don't like him or the policy is just one area. Disputing a fair election is another. When you attack the foundations of American society, with fake problems, that's unamerican.  

A declassified congressional report confirms that Daniel Jones, a former intelligence committee staffer for Sen. Dianne Feinstein, hired Fusion GPS and Christopher Steele to push the Russian collusion narrative against Donald Trump.

“The report also revealed that Jones told federal investigators that he had raised $50 million from “7 to 10 wealthy donors located primarily in New York and California.””

16 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Shouldn't you be asking for examples, rather than an exact definition? Like, you don't want to know what he thinks the definition is, you want to know what sentiments he's talking about more precisely, right?

It's the McCarthy parallels that have me worried.....That whole 'reds under the beds' thing was not your finest hour really.

There's just no excuse for falling victim to that sort of psyop/media-manipulation BS in the internet age.....It wasn't the Russians, it was the DNC & UK Tories.

47 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It's the McCarthy parallels that have me worried.....That whole 'reds under the beds' thing was not your finest hour really.

There's just no excuse for falling victim to that sort of psyop/media-manipulation BS in the internet age.....It wasn't the Russians, it was the DNC & UK Tories.

The fact that one of Trump's early lawyers and mentors was Roy Cohn, who was mentored by Joe McCarthy, does seem like a rather unfortunate coincidence.

6 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Shouldn't you be asking for examples, rather than an exact definition? Like, you don't want to know what he thinks the definition is, you want to know what sentiments he's talking about more precisely, right?

Pointing out the press and the left shit the bed, with examples, get McCarthy brought up? That seems odd since the only connection is the one Walt made. 

I didn't bring up the red scare and the media is lying scum has no connection to it, they lie all the time about Trump, his policies, and his cabinet, this is not a disputable fact.

But it's also not like scumbag commies in the government was not a real thing...They did give atomic secrets to the USSR.   And you could be a commie in America back then, you just couldn't work int he government, for good goddamn reasons.

P.s. fuck typing this shit on a phone!!!!!! (fixed on the PC)

3 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Are you saying Trump... is gay?

Yes, yes, I see what you did there.  Actually, I would guess Trump is not nearly as afraid of gay folks as much of his evangelical base.  He is a rich guy from New York, he is used to dealing with all sorts of folks.  That said, I think he is completely capable of throwing the gay community under the bus if it serves his purposes, I just don't think it's an issue that really matters to him personally all that much.  Mike Pence on the other hand... 

15 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Yes, yes, I see what you did there.  Actually, I would guess Trump is not nearly as afraid of gay folks as much of his evangelical base.  He is a rich guy from New York, he is used to dealing with all sorts of folks.  That said, I think he is completely capable of throwing the gay community under the bus if it serves his purposes, I just don't think it's an issue that really matters to him personally all that much.  Mike Pence on the other hand... 

Just what is Mike Pence's crime against teh gays again?