Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

On 5/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, Donward said:

I see Oliver North is now the new President of the National Rifle Association.

Well, if there's anyone experienced in making sure weapons get into the hands of undesirables over the express wishes of Congress and the Federal government, it's Oliver North!

What?

Too soon?

And of course, Wayne LaPierre is continuing in his lucrative job as Vice Grand Vizier.

Does the President of the NRA actually do anything?  Seems LaPierre is the one really in charge.

Damn, that's pretty gross.  I'll admit, I don't watch Samantha Bee very often.  If I had to pick between liberal cable political comedy, I'd rather watch John Oliver because at least he goes after a variety of targets, not just Trump.  It's just sad that instead of actual investigative reporting on issues, we get these sorts of infotainment news/comedy hybrids.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:49 PM, Walter_Sobchak said:

I'm not sure Trump pulling the US out of the Iran nuke deal (against the advise of all of our allies and his own Secretary of Defense) puts him in a very good position heading into negotiations with North Korea.  If I'm Lil' Rocketman Kim, I might be suspicious of any deal made with USA under Trump considering his willingness to arbitrarily pull the US out of the Iraq deal for reasons that seem to be based solely on his own domestic political goals and not on anything that Iran had done to violate the agreement.

Trump has been remarkably consistent on the Iran nuclear deal.  Indeed, his statements on the matter from five years ago are prime examples of his, erm, nuanced rhetoric:

"We will end up going to war with Iran because we have people who don't know what the hell they are doing," he said. "Every single thing that this administration and our president does is a failure."

The Trump approach isn't to be nice to get everyone to the negotiating table.  Trump, in his heart of hearts, believes that being nice to get along with people makes you a faggot.  I'm not saying I endorse this view, but Trump clearly does.  Trump believes in a very hardball game of psychological pressure.  Bad cop/good cop.  This is all his New York real estate shenanigans writ large.

Step 1 is to freak the other party the fuck out.  This may include large military exercises right outside their country, letting the Israelis and Saudis off the leash a bit, or buying up all the property around the property that Trump wants to buy and talking about building a bunch of ugly high-rises on it.  Step 2 is to wait for the other party to crack under a volley of twitter insults, and then Trump sends in some subordinate to work out the details of a new dispensation.

The world is ready for this new sort of diplomacy.  What the world learned from the Obama Administration was that the USA will backstab longstanding allies for no reason at all, see Egypt.  The idea that Trump is trying to sell, both here and abroad, is that any arrangements made in the Obama years are suspect, and the work of a fundamentally incompetent and unstable bureaucracy (he's more than a little right).  Whereas the Obama Administration was concerned about very abstract concepts like Democracy, Change, and Movements, Trump cares about the fucking bottom line.  Obama needed to sell the idea that his legacy would be turning the entire world into America.  Trump needs to sell the idea that his legacy will be opening the world to American business.  One is a lot easier to measure.

5 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

That jokes about a year and a half stale.

No, they are not. Al-Clintoni deserved them until end of her life. In fact, she deserved a time in a jail, but American justice system is as bad as ours when it comes to politicians.

40 minutes ago, Lostwingman said:

We talking about those Pakistani brothers that up and disappeared with with a bunch of congresses private information?

No, I am speaking about Libya. There were leaked messages about their plans in Libya. She deserved a jail for being part of destruction of functioning state and rise of human scum (open slave trading and so on) and she should receive death penalty for doing her job and plans totally incompetently.

She also was photographed with al-Qaeda PR "reporter", which I posted in Syrian war thread in 2017 IIRC, which is complete fucking disgrace for Americans died in fight against them and people died from their hands in last decade or more. 

In short - she is fucking POS of a human and there is sadly no labour camps in America where Trump could put her to compensate with a tree chopping all that damage done with her help. 

It is still too damn early to talk conclusively about mid-term elections. But with that premise, I'm somewhat amused by the takes on last night's primary elections in Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Idaho, and Oregon where the Democrat "Blue Wave" is hitting the shoals of political reality by nominating far-left progressives over "moderates".

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/15/2018-primary-election-results-updates-590389

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/did-democrats-just-have-their-first-tea-party-moment-of-the-2018-primaries/

Even the perennially wrong FiveTurdyAte is pondering the question.

"The Democratic Party woke up this morning with a clear signal from Tuesday’s primary elections: The #Resistance means business. The more progressive candidate won in Democratic primaries around the country. The question, however, is whether those more liberal candidates will hurt the party’s chances in November."