Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

A bit of trivia dug up from the before times:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/business/economy/the-mirage-of-a-return-to-manufacturing-greatness.html

I think the diagnosis of the problem is correct in the greater scheme of things, but the proposed solutions are hilarious. Education, healthcare and green energy. Really? That's what's going to provide a living wage to the 25% of the population left behind after manufacturing?

The true takeaway here, I think, is that nobody has the right answer yet. Heck there may not even be one, at least if you constrain the possible answers to those that include 95% employment of working age citizens.

We're all in the dark here.

I think at some point you have to choose between cheap imports and a robust domestics that provide jobs at home. And I think you should choose the latter.

It wouldn't solve everything, but it would help a lot, I reckon.

It seems that the emerging consensus is that manufacturing in general is dead, so trying for domestic job growth there ends up being agricultural subsidiaries all over again.

Worse, I think that a consensus is forming that service sector jobs are also dying, so the 1990s plan of going post-industrial is stillborn.

We're fucked, basically. At least in as much as our societies are built around the idea of global capitalism and full employment as normal, desirable things.

It seems that the emerging consensus is that manufacturing in general is dead, so trying for domestic job growth there ends up being agricultural subsidiaries all over again.

Worse, I think that a consensus is forming that service sector jobs are also dying, so the 1990s plan of going post-industrial is stillborn.

We're fucked, basically. At least in as much as our societies are built around the idea of global capitalism and full employment as normal, desirable things.

In the long run, I think you are right. My hope is that eventually enough meaningful busy work will be created to keep our inner monkeys happy, but that requires a pretty radical re-envisionment of the current concepts of both welfare and employment.

Fortunately, I think that monkeys are made happy by their work having value to other monkeys, so a mass hallucination that the ditches you dig and refill are super valuable would probably work.

In the long run, I think you are right. My hope is that eventually enough meaningful busy work will be created to keep our inner monkeys happy, but that requires a pretty radical re-envisionment of the current concepts of both welfare and employment.

Fortunately, I think that monkeys are made happy by their work having value to other monkeys, so a mass hallucination that the ditches you dig and refill are super valuable would probably work.

comieboos ahead of the curve again - we already have our own ditch :)

A bit of trivia dug up from the before times:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/business/economy/the-mirage-of-a-return-to-manufacturing-greatness.html

I think the diagnosis of the problem is correct in the greater scheme of things, but the proposed solutions are hilarious. Education, healthcare and green energy. Really? That's what's going to provide a living wage to the 25% of the population left behind after manufacturing?

The true takeaway here, I think, is that nobody has the right answer yet. Heck there may not even be one, at least if you constrain the possible answers to those that include 95% employment of working age citizens.

We're all in the dark here.

The thing with manufacturing is that it creates a lot of wealth. While post-industrial societies with their services can make a lot of money, they won't be creating a lot of wealth. The large disconnect in wealth and money made can create issues when trade is disrupted for whatever reason. High industrialization would in theory produce a more stable economy as it keeps people employed and a lot of wealth can be created.

The solution that was proposed just takes the idea even further, with all the advantages and disadvantages.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is racist?!? Actually....it kinda is. Funny thing, I have been to numerous Indian restaurants and I have yet to find one that serves chilled monkey brains or eyeball soup.

It's hard to find authentic Thugee Cult cuisine in the US. Not to mention the heartburn you get afterwards...

Since the highest and best use of these election threads is to mock Libertarians and Gary Johnson, let this be known.

Oddsmakers Put Tom Brady Ahead of Gary Johnson in 2020

According to oddsmakers, Johnson has a 500-to-1 chance of being President behind Jill Stein who gets 300-to-1 odds and Brady who garners 100-to-1 odds.

Johnson is currently tied with Kim Kardashian and Vince McMahon.

49112486.cached.jpg

Having been part of a recount in 2004 in Washington's governor's race, the number of ballots that flipped then were 500.

It is a bit much to suppose those states where the difference is - what - 100,000 or more how that many Clinton votes can be magicked up.