Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

8 hours ago, Donward said:

If I were running a Political Action Committee, I'd run this story and this photo in every contested congressional district in November.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/400348-women-poised-to-take-charge-in-dem-majority

delaurowaterslowey_gregnash.jpg?itok=TYh

Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.) argued another benefit of having women in charge: They are simply more open to compromise, a breath of fresh air in a Congress practically defined by partisan conflict.

“I believe women tend to find common ground, work together and accomplish big tasks,” said DeGette, who’s in line to lead the oversight subpanel of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

“As more of us get elected to Congress and fill these critical leadership roles, chances are good that we will see less gridlock and more cooperation.”

tenor.gif

33 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

We tried and orange dude with the worlds weirdest comb-over.  Perhaps giving the ladies a chance is not the worst option.

12 hours ago, Donward said:

delaurowaterslowey_gregnash.jpg?itok=TYh

No. No. PLEASE don't make this the face of the Democrat Party.

PLEASE don't run on the premise that these faces will be put in charge of Congress!

PLEASE don't!!! There is no way that average, every-day American voters will be able to resist the raw charisma, capability, and confidence these faces inspire!!!

wverrors.php?getimage=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5xLW

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

I knew you'd interpret that as me saying "lol women in politics". This is why everyone hates the Left now, they can't give anyone else credit.

Its a picture of three women, accompanied by quotes of them talking about the importance of more women being part of the political process.  How else am I supposed to interpret this?

1 hour ago, Donward said:

No. No. PLEASE don't make this the face of the Democrat Party.

PLEASE don't run on the premise that these faces will be put in charge of Congress!

PLEASE don't!!! There is no way that average, every-day American voters will be able to resist the raw charisma, capability, and confidence these faces inspire!!!

wverrors.php?getimage=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5xLW

Considering that the face of the Republican party is an orange skinned con-man, this would probably make things fair.

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Its a picture of three women, accompanied by quotes of them talking about the importance of more women being part of the political process.  How else am I supposed to interpret this?

You could bother to read the quote I was laughing at, for a start.

Also, you could not just assume I'm a sexist knob.

6 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

We interpret it differently.  Not assuming anything.  I'm not calling you anything.

OK, fair enough, I think I interpreted what you said as being more aggressive than it was intended to be. I think I probably also expected something more aggressive, just because I was on my toes already a bit.

I don't have a problem with more women in politics. A 50/50 split wouldn't bother me at all. Hell, a 70/30 (F/M) split wouldn't really bother me. At the same time, I find the idea that politics would improve if more women were in it to be totally hilarious. I grew up around women predominantly, and man. Women are just as nuts as men.

1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

OK, fair enough, I think I interpreted what you said as being more aggressive than it was intended to be. I think I probably also expected something more aggressive, just because I was on my toes already a bit.

I don't have a problem with more women in politics. A 50/50 split wouldn't bother me at all. Hell, a 70/30 (F/M) split wouldn't really bother me. At the same time, I find the idea that politics would improve if more women were in it to be totally hilarious. I grew up around women predominantly, and man. Women are just as nuts as men.

I get where you are coming from.  I get riled up a bit sometimes, but I'm not here to piss people off or start fights.  Always more interested in generating light than heat. 

But muh Blue Wave!!! 

Background. Heidi Heitkamp is the Democrat incumbent Senator from North Dakota. And she is running on deporting illegal immigrants and for being Besties with Donald Trump. And she doesn't list herself as a Democrat in the ad.

Oh she is also polling behind her GOP opponent.

So much for Trump being a hindrance to candidates when even the Democrats are trying to show how much they support his policies.

Edit: And meanwhile, the Republican Kevin Cramer is running an ad in North Dakota that is just Trump rambling on in his unique oratory fashion, for almost a minute.

But muh Blue WAY-IVVVVV!!!

And here we have an advert from Jon Tester, the incumbent Democrat Senator from Montana.

Wait. Did you catch that? Tester is running a campaign on bills that President Trump signed into law. Five seconds into this ad and Democrat Sen. Jon Tester is giving an in-kind contribution in the form of positive air time to Trump. 

Unlike Sen. Heitkamp, Tester is a more savvy politician and he almost makes you believe that he is conservative senator from a very conservative red state. He's also polling three or four points ahead of his GOP opponent currently Matt Rosendale. 

Here are some stills from a few of his other commercials.

M0lMZ6R.png

Look at that. Tester found someone to hold a gun in one of his commercials, albeit a very responsible over-and-under shotgun with empty tubes. But still! He must be for "responsible" gun rights.

And here is a screen grab of Tester himself driving an old, beat-up 'murican pickup truck.

A4PaZbD.png

Savage Model 99 in the gun rack. Clearly trying to appeal to the most intelligent and discerning of voters, and that would be lever action rifle fans.

In any other part of the country, if a Republican had run an ad featuring a gun called "Wired to Fight" he'd be labeled a terrorist and every other name under the sun. But that's the issue. These races for Senate that the Democrats need to win in order to ride the "Blue Wave" aren't in "any other part of the country". No. They're in Montana. And North Dakota, Missouri, Tennessee. Florida, Indiana, and a few other states where Trump won by running on his #MAGA message and where Democrats are now having to do the same in order to retain their seats.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:54 AM, Walter_Sobchak said:

Ok guys, feel free to leave anytime.  I'm sure you will have a great time living under Putin.

Dj3ENbwVsAAKhzv?format=jpg&name=small

Funny, that's the exact same sentiment that I have when I see illegal aliens hopping the border, refusing to assimilate, and taking down the US flag from government buildings to fly the Mexican flag instead.

So, the only options are to be either a Democrat or a Russian? Non-Democrats aren't welcome and should leave the country?

18 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

tenor.gif

Ah yes, good old Degette the regret. You may also know her from other incidents like the "once the bullets are fired, you can't reuse them (magazines)". People say dumb things about guns all the time, but that was the equivalent of saying that an island could capsize.

3 minutes ago, Ulric said:

Funny, that's the exact same sentiment that I have when I see illegal aliens hopping the border, refusing to assimilate, and taking down the US flag from government buildings to fly the Mexican flag instead.

So, the only options are to be either a Democrat or a Russian? Non-Democrats aren't welcome and should leave the country?

My point is not that everyone should be a Democrat.  These fellows have a perfect right to be Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, etc.  That's what America is all about.  Something they would not be allowed to do in Russia.  30 years ago dudes like these guys were wearing "better dead than red" shirts.  My, how times have changed.

My point is not that everyone should be a Democrat.  These fellows have a perfect right to be Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, etc.  That's what America is all about.  Something they would not be allowed to do in Russia.  30 years ago dudes like these guys were wearing "better dead than red" shirts.  My, how times have changed.

Yes, how the times have changed indeed.

So, I'm guessing, but based on the Maga hats and other clues in the pictures, these guys are Republicans. They are also expressing a sentiment that Russians are preferable to Democrats, and because of that you say that they should leave?

Better dead than red isn't incompatible with what they are saying now. Death > Russians > Democrats. It may be wrong, but it's not inconsistent.

14 minutes ago, Ulric said:

Yes, how the times have changed indeed.

So, I'm guessing, but based on the Magach hats and other class in the pictures, these guys are Republicans. They are also expressing a sentiment that Russians are preferable to Democrats, and because of that you say that they should leave?

Better dead than red isn't incompatible with what they are saying now. Death > Russians > Democrats. It may be wrong, but it's not inconsistent.

Hey, they are the ones saying they hold more kinship with members of a hostile foreign country than their own countrymen of a different political party.  

37 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Hey, they are the ones saying they hold more kinship with members of a hostile foreign country than their own countrymen of a different political party.  

That speaks to the state of American politics right now. 

I have my disagreements with Russia, but they too desire to remove kebab. Russia could be our greatest ally in the war on radical islamic terror, considering that they are one of the few nations that isn't willing to accept peace trucks as a regular occurrence. On that alone there is more common ground than there is between the left and the right in this country.