Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

Having been part of a recount in 2004 in Washington's governor's race, the number of ballots that flipped then were 500.

It is a bit much to suppose those states where the difference is - what - 100,000 or more how that many Clinton votes can be magicked up.

It would be amusing if it showed a bunch of DNC voter fraud.  Maybe that's why Hillary isn't calling for it. 

You mean that they'd off her if she didn't do it?

The recount doesn't benefit her in any way and it would benefit Hillary the most and she also said that she supports Trump over Hillary earlier. There is little reason for her to only want to recount Trump's swing states and Hillary doesn't want to call it.

Also, if we're talking paper ballots, the 5,000 or so challenged, late and under/over votes that I witnessed filled an 8 by 16 foot room.

ALL the ballots in King County filled an entire floor of an office building in the "Gary Ridgeway" building. The building is/was on Boeing Field and it also happened to be the facility where the Green River Killer was held before trial.

So imagine 100,000 sheets of used heavy mill paper in boxes and how much room it would take.

That's the shear volume of space we are talking.

I'm not saying there isn't fraud - there is - but it is difficult to get a firm grasp on what is fraud and what is human error and what is just shoddy politics as usual.

The Oregonian did a profile on the 120 rioters arrested in the Portland anti-Trump mayhem.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/11/who_they_are_profiles_emerge_o.html

Seems the normal demographic slice of Portland weird including book store employees, baristas, the "homeless", a wooden bicycle maker and the Pokemon guy who has prior arrests for breaking into a rock and mineral museum dressed as moss.

I shit you not.

While amusing, the repercussions would be immensely destructive.

Agreed.  While I absolutely hate the outcome of this election, I don't see how a recount does us much good.  If it's found that Trump did not win the electoral college, then what?  If the election was given to Hillary, her administration would have absolutely no legitimacy in the eyes of Trump voters.   We would spend the next four years hearing how the Dems "stole" the election with a recount which the right will say was tainted.  Things are bad enough right now.  They would be even worse if we had a contested recount.

It seems extremely unlikely that a recount would change the outcome.  The 2000 election hung by Florida by a margin of 500-something votes.  By changing which method was used to count marginal ballots, either Gore or Bush could have gotten Florida, but only by a margin of a few hundred votes.  For a recount to change the results of this election, multiple states would have to change their results by thousands of votes.  That's compound unlikely.

It seems extremely unlikely that a recount would change the outcome.  The 2000 election hung by Florida by a margin of 500-something votes.  By changing which method was used to count marginal ballots, either Gore or Bush could have gotten Florida, but only by a margin of a few hundred votes.  For a recount to change the results of this election, multiple states would have to change their results by thousands of votes.  That's compound unlikely.

And even then, there's nothing stopping Trump from demanding recounts from the swing states Hillary won.

This has sparked a ton of conversation on MZWs wall.

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/trump-there-should-be-consequences-for-people-who-burn-the-us-flag

I'll agree with Mad Mike on this one. Burning the flag (aside from doing it to properly destroy a damaged flag) is a dick move.  But it's protected speech.