Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

5 hours ago, Belesarius said:

Hmmmmmmmm

"(Chapter 11, however, will be phased out between the U.S. and Canada, Trump officials said. This chapter, which outlines the investor-state dispute settlement, allowed corporations to sue governments at special tribunals for interfering in their business.)"

Somewhat concerned that this sounds like it remains for US-Mexico. It's used to allow Mexican trucks to only be to Mexican standard when using US roads. Given that I live off the biggest US-Mexico trade corridor and have seen these gigantic beaters first hand, I'm not favorable to that. 

My roomie is a political junkie. He couldn't sleep last night and read the entire agreement.

Bascially, it's the same damned agreement, with some technical updates, some caving in on some corporatist IP issues that most people won't give a shit about or everyone will be equally pissed off with, and Y'all get 3.59% of the dairy market, which will almost certainlly go to expensive cheeses.  We'll be able to get artisianal hispter US cheese here now. 

Oh and they updated the amount that you can ship on an online order from the US from $50 to $150 before duty kicks in.

1 minute ago, Belesarius said:

My roomie is a political junkie. He couldn't sleep last night and read the entire agreement.

Bascially, it's the same damned agreement, with some technical updates, some caving in on some corporatist IP issues that most people won't give a shit about or everyone will be equally pissed off with, and Y'all get 3.59% of the dairy market, which will almost certainlly go to expensive cheeses.  We'll be able to get artisianal hispter US cheese here now. 

Oh and they updated the amount that you can ship on an online order from the US from $50 to $150 before duty kicks in.

The most relevant seeming update there was requiring a high minimum wage for auto factory jobs, I wonder how difficult it would be for those companies to skirt that.

1 minute ago, Lostwingman said:

The most relevant seeming update there was requiring a high minimum wage for auto factory jobs, I wonder how difficult it would be for those companies to skirt that.

Easy.  Though Mexican auto workers are already reasonsably well paid compared to workers in other sectors in Mexico.  They'll be looking at roughly an 8% raise.

1 minute ago, Ramlaen said:

I haven't been able to read it yet so I'm relying on twitter snippits.

As SH is a documents based forum, let me fix that for you.

Also... ew. Ezra cooties. Gross.

https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/united-states-mexico-canada-agreement/united-states-mexico

1 hour ago, Belesarius said:

Easy.  Though Mexican auto workers are already reasonsably well paid compared to workers in other sectors in Mexico.  They'll be looking at roughly an 8% raise.

Maybe it's a trap?  Wait for one side to inevitably skirt or flout the agreement, and then tear it up as soon as they do?

3 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Maybe it's a trap?  Wait for one side to inevitably skirt or flout the agreement, and then tear it up as soon as they do?

Meh.  There aren't a lot of enforcement mechanisms.  The union provisions in this make it so that Mexico is supposed to allow real unions to form instead of the fake assed ones they have now. Secret ballots and everything. And possibly. Mexico is a bigger issue for the US than Canada. This agreement isn't really strong enough to move jobs back to the US but it should significantly slow the movement of auto jobs to Mexico. Mexican auto workers often already get like, $14 US an hour. It's supposed to go up to $15 under this. 

1 minute ago, Ramlaen said:

How much were Canadian and Mexican workers making manufacturing parts imported from China?

Canadian auto workers make probably more than US workers do. Our unions are significantly stronger up here.  And there were already 50% mandatory made in NA parts. That's going up to 65%.  Keep in mind, most of the auto parts in NA are made by 2 companies, both of which are headquartered in Canada.  But they have factories all over the US and Canada, and Europe.

46 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

Canadian auto workers make probably more than US workers do. Our unions are significantly stronger up here.  And there were already 50% mandatory made in NA parts. That's going up to 65%.  Keep in mind, most of the auto parts in NA are made by 2 companies, both of which are headquartered in Canada.  But they have factories all over the US and Canada, and Europe.

My read is that the new amount is 62.5% which goes up to 75% in 5 years.

I see the White House has officially authorized the FBI to expand the FBI investigation surrounding Kavanaugh.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/409300-white-house-authorizes-fbi-to-expand-kavanaugh-investigation-report

Which further jives with my prediction on discord chat that the FBI is going to be going after Feinstein and/or the Dems.

24 minutes ago, Lostwingman said:

Clearly, she didn't even need the full 15 minutes to get hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Just as planned.  All that money spent on fake glasses worked well.

27 minutes ago, Lostwingman said:

Clearly, she didn't even need the full 15 minutes to get hundreds of thousands of dollars.

She will be a folk hero to the left, she will now get speaking events and get to go to all the fundraisers, and I heard she had four Gofundme and she was near a million bucks last week.   Her story has changed, she lied about her background, and the prosecutor says she has a weaker than normal 'he said she said' case with holes in it, yet they still call her credible. The same people who call her a hero, tougher than a Marine,  call the Judge a rapist drunk with zero evidence. In fact, they are smearing a man, whose only crime seems to be liking beer, while a teen.

As we have seen though, the left doesn't care about the truth, fairness, the US Voters, rules, or decency, they hate Trump, and they are going to stop him and his agenda.  The people who say both sides are the problem are stupid, the Right is still willing to talk and work with the other side, and is not calling them rapist and racists when they don't get there way. Things are so bad, there is talk that we are going to shoot each other coming from all sides now. Only one side is interested in fairness and the truth and they other has adopted the by any means necessary strategy.  

The greatest irony of the whole thing is, Trump has done none of the shit they said he would, he has done a pretty good job if you look at it with an objective eye, and the proof is the Economy is ticking along better than it has in decades, by just about any measure, that is if your not a mindless anti Trump drone with no ability to reason and no desire to anyway. These assholes, who cry about how oppressed they are while living in the US, might actually destroy it all with their bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

She will be a folk hero to the left, she will now get speaking events and get to go to all the fundraisers, and I heard she had four Gofundme and she was near a million bucks last week.   Her story has changed, she lied about her background, and the prosecutor says she has a weaker than normal 'he said she said' case with holes in it, yet they still call her credible. The same people who call her a hero, tougher than a Marine,  call the judge and rapist drunk with zero evidence. In fact, they are smearing a man, whose only crime seems to be liking beer, while a teen.

As we have seen though, the left doesn't care about the truth, fairness, the US Voters, rules, or decency, they hate Trump, and they are going to stop him and his agenda.  The people who say both sides are the problem are stupid, the Right is still willing to talk and work with the other side, and is not calling them rapist and racists when they don't get there way. Things are so bad, there is talk that we are going to shoot each other coming from all sides now. Only one side is interested in fairness and the truth and they other has adopted the by any means necessary strategy.  

The greatest irony of the whole thing is, Trump has done none of the shit they said he would, he has done a pretty good job if you look at it with an objective eye, and the proof is the Economy is ticking along better than it has in decades, by just about any measure, that is if your not a mindless anti Trump drone with no ability to reason and no desire to anyway. These assholes, who cry about how oppressed they are while living in the US, might actually destroy it all with their bullshit. 

Remember, fake news was coined by the cable networks (I think it was even CNN) and it only became a naughty term when used on them. 

This is the power of societies leash holders. There's too much trust in curated news. Not a shred of ability to research and deduce. I also fail to see anything particularly bad with Trump besides he likes to shit post on the twatters but I've already made my opinion on how we shouldn't hold elected officials on a social pedestal clear.

Look Trump is a sentient circus peanut who makes me (and a large number of my saner family) smile because he is a large and obnoxious speedbump in the inevetiable slide toward a full on oligarchy this country is headed toward.

9 minutes ago, Lostwingman said:

Remember, fake news was coined by the cable networks (I think it was even CNN) and it only became a naughty term when used on them. 

This is the power of societies leash holders. There's too much trust in curated news. Not a shred of ability to research and deduce. I also fail to see anything particularly bad with Trump besides he likes to shit post on the twatters but I've already made my opinion on how we shouldn't hold elected officials on a social pedestal clear.

Oh yeah, anyone who admires, or even likes, a politician, is a person who does not understand, they, by going into the profession, are and probably always was an asshole, and most are pretty stupid. Much like most people in the media, both are places that have no real standards, and being smooth and good looking pays well.  They should not be trusted and should be verbally beaten and abused until they only do their voters biding, and the ones that put the others sides voters above the people who elected them, like Flake, must be purged because they are the lowest of the low. 

See I don't even doubt that he's intelligent. Just that a part of his personality is to be audacious and make people like him. I get how that can make someone come across as not intelligent compared to the archetype of the stoic laconic personality. I had an uncle who was a pretty big businessman, left my aunt millions and had stuff from meeting...I think it was either Ford or Nixon. In any case one thing that my dad always told me about him was that part of the reason he was soo successful negotiating is that he always made the other party feel like they got one over on him. He could be practically robbing the other guy blind but that guy would still think that boy howdy he was the winner in that one! I see that all over the place with Trump. If you think he's just a buffoon who needs handlers, I think you're just falling into his strategy of interaction.

1 minute ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Oh yeah, anyone who admires, or even likes, a politician, is a person who does not understand, they, by going into the profession, are and probably always was an asshole, and most are pretty stupid. Much like most people in the media, both are places that have no real standards, and being smooth and good looking pays well.  They should not be trusted and should be verbally beaten and abused until they only do their voters biding, and the ones that put the others sides voters above the people who elected them, like Flake, must be purged because they are the lowest of the low. 

At the very extreme least, narcissistic. You have to have a pretty high view of yourself to think you're a savior just like you would if you were a swindler.

1 minute ago, Lostwingman said:

See I don't even doubt that he's intelligent. Just that a part of his personality is to be audacious and make people like him. I get how that can make someone come across as not intelligent compared to the archetype of the stoic laconic personality. I had an uncle who was a pretty big businessman, left my aunt millions and had stuff from meeting...I think it was either Ford or Nixon. In any case one thing that my dad always told me about him was that part of the reason he was soo successful negotiating is that he always made the other party feel like they got one over on him. He could be practically robbing the other guy blind but that guy would still think that boy howdy he was the winner in that one! I see that all over the place with Trump. If you think he's just a buffoon who needs handlers, I think you're just falling into his strategy of interaction.

I don't consider Trump a regular politician, cause he gives no fucks what the Media thinks of him, and I actually agree with his agenda, and he certainly is not stupid, a little odd sure.  

I was talking your standard dipshits, Obama, Warren, Bush, McCain, Flake,  etc.