Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

Scott Adams on presidential temperament and the risks of each candidates. I don't know that I agree with him on some of the details, but I agree with his statement that a major problem with American foreign policy is that the other countries we are dealing with don't know what our motives are or how we will react. I also agree that Clinton is high risk in this regard, for the same reasons he outlines. I'm not sure about Trump.

I'm with Dilbert, at least on wondering if Clinton will get us into more wars, the way she talks about Putin and Russia makes her sound like she's willing to start WWIII over Syria! 

Trumps a turd, but he is a predictable, and funny turd. 

Clinton is a horrible person, a criminal, the worst kind of feminist, and a baby boomer with all their idiotic baggage and bullshit ideas.  She will go after the second amendment,  if only through nominating judges that will never rule in favor of gun owners again, but probably with another assault weapons ban. 

I don't think illegal immigration is all that big of a problem and stopping it wouldn't really solve the labor problems we are going to have. We should have controlled boarders and a streamlined migrant worker program though. 

Maybe this is a California thing, but finding anyone to do a labor job, even a skilled labor job that pays well is pretty damn hard.  Go to a job site, and you will see a lot of Hispanics doing manual and semi skilled laborer, but the plumber and electrician will be older white guys in most cases, or older other races in rarer cases. In my opinion, this problem starts with every parent who wants to be a good parent encourages their kid to get a 4 year degree, no one wants their kid to go into the trades, as if being a skilled worker is something to be ashamed of, but they don't bother telling them to get a degree in something that's in demand.  I see service trucks from all arms of the industry and they all have help wanted signs. Finding a younger guy who's worth a damn, and actually will to work for a paycheck is pretty hard, finding older guys who can still hack it is also hard.

There are a lot of over educated kids looking for jobs, stuck with a big debt, because they got a worthless degree. Yet these kids all think they are to good to learn a trade.  Why am I ranting? We just had a millennial, make it to his one year mark, when he promised two, who we trained, twice as long as normal, bought tools for, and bought a truck, since he couldn't drive a stick. So he could go do a sales job that would pay less, but not require sweat.  This kid had never held a wrench before in his life!

So, on the one hand, yes, a lot of millenials are nigh-useless people. However, I think they mostly have underperformed due to circumstances outside of their control. Frankly, millenials are getting screwed, they got screwed growing up, they got screwed in education, and they're getting screwed now in the workforce.

I can't tell someone to take the time and effort to correct the mistakes of some hapless millenial's parent, I just... I dunno, it's a shitty situation, and the parents of millenials and boomers share more of the blame than I think millenials themselves do.

Also, it SUCKS to be a millenial. I mean, take me: I was put on antidepressants when I was ten. They helped calm me down, but also made growing the fuck up like trying to swim through molasses. Everything happened slowly, and by the time I went off the drugs when I was 17, I was behind. Lots of millenials are in this situation, or even worse. Plus, it seems like the previous generations decided to just make millenials an experiment to prove how much of human decency is a product of nurture or nature. Millenials seem like they don't have any morals, skills, ethics, etc because those things aren't inherent to human nature and many of them were never taught any of that stuff.

Millenials are therefore like wild children, except in their formative years they were put on powerful psychoactive drugs, told a bunch of lies, never taught how to actually do anything, sheltered from risks and consequences, and their birth coincided with the invention of the World Wide Web. No wonder we're a shit-show!

I see the Fact Checkers and Clinton campaign are unable to grasp that if Trump/Pence says that Putin is a stronger leader on the world stage doesn't mean that he is a better person.

The shrill bleating of Kaine in this debate is really turning me off. Pence definitely seems to be for the most part trying to take the high road and attack Clinton's record instead of who she is.

For the most part.

It has become a punchline that Trump insists that he'll hire the BEST people to do a job and get things done. You can debate whether he is the BEST but Pence did a good job at coming across as an effective and coherent choice for Veep.

Conversely, Kaine came off as a sniveling little Yes man. Which, considering many of the choices for Veep in this country's history, might be a little more in keeping with the actual duties of the job.

Shit, Pence probably made a lot of people feel like they wished the ticket was the other way around.

It's always one of those theoreticals. The question is would <Insert GOP candidate here> be able to make a race out of Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Maine, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and the swing states which are all conveniently located in depressed, Rust Belt states? Because the standard playbook is to paint Republicans as religious fundamentalists who also don't care about American workers. 

I mentioned before but social issues have had very little impact on this campaign and abortion has - believe - only been brought up once and that was in this Veep debate and it was the last question asked. 

As for this debate, Pence did his job of laying the groundwork for Trump to attack Clinton in the 2nd and 3rd debates on substantive issues like the Clinton Foundation and the e-mails and her foreign policy decisions. I personally believe that Trump intentionally held back on using these attacks in the first debate.

Clinton is a horrible person, a criminal, the worst kind of feminist, and a baby boomer with all their idiotic baggage and bullshit ideas.  She will go after the second amendment,  if only through nominating judges that will never rule in favor of gun owners again, but probably with another assault weapons ban. 

I really don't understand this sort of hyperbole.  For some reason, people can't seem to think rationally about Hillary.  She has a long political career, which has seen its share of things worth criticizing.  Pretty much the same as most politicians.  "The worst sort of feminist?"  Not sure what that means.  Actually, on issues relating to gender issues, she has generally been behind the curve.  She and Bill certainly did not stick their neck out for GLBT rights until it was fashionable to do so.  As to being a Baby Boomer, so is everyone else in this race.  Boomers have no specific political preference as far as I can tell.  In fact, I would suspect that Boomers are voting for Trump at a higher number than young people.  As to being a criminal, that's propaganda.  Every single supposed scandal has failed to result in a prosecution.  Considering the incredible amount of resources that the Republicans have put into investigating the Clintons, you would think they could get something to stick, but it hasn't.  Perhaps the answer is because most of the investigations have been politically motivated.  Just about everything that Hillary has been investigated for, the Bush Jr. administration was guilty of as well.  However, there was never a willingness in the congress to investigate it.  I'm not saying the Clinton's are perfect, far from it.  And yes, they certainly are willing to bend the rules and try to get away with as much as they can.  Guess what, so does every other politician.  Politics is a shit show and it's pretty hard not to get some on your shows when you are on the stage.  

I am no fan of Hillary and I will vote for her reluctantly.  I believe she has probably sacrificed a good deal of her personal integrity in the pursuit of power.  However, the Donald has never had an ounce of personal integrity to begin with.   I'll take the advice of every single living ex-president that the Donald is categorically unfit to hold the office.  

I'm on a phone, but ill will expand on it when I get home. My baby boomer comment has led to with politics and more to do with boomers being stuck im the past and still think issues that have been dead or stupid for decades.

I'm also not defending trump, the Republican party is joke. The best thing to come out of this whole shit show is how it's destroying both parties