Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

And for you wonks that like to keep track on the inside baseball aspect of delegate distribution, Project Five Thirty Eight has historically been a very good "just the numbers" resource.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/politics/

Delegate tracker for Republicans

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/delegate-targets/republicans/

Delegate tracker for Democrats

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/delegate-targets/democrats/

Five Thirty Eight is pretty OK. As for the polling, I've been consistently and happily surprised just how accurate the polling has been this election season. My take on that is that people are really excited about participating this go round. And this has been proven by turnout numbers. If you are a Trump supporter, you are Gung Ho, truck-balls to the wall for Trump. The same if you are a Cruz guy since he is basically the blue print for your standard social and fiscal Big C Conservative.

On the Democrat side, you've got Sanders people who are equally motivated, loud and obnoxious.

On the flip side, the polling for blah, squishy "moderate" candidates who are running because it's "their turn" like Kasich (Rubio, JEB!) and Hillary has been a bit tougher to nail, and that's because their supporters aren't really that thrilled by them - in my opinion - and are holding their noses to vote. You saw this in 2012 and 2008 with the Romney and McCain campaigns.

I guess after Trump criticizes NATO, all of a sudden it is worth looking into how the treaty organization is financed and by whom.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/04/06/senators-slam-nato-free-riders-in-closed-door-meeting-with-secretary-general/

From the linked article:

Some expressed particular dissatisfaction with Germany, the fourth largest economy in the world, which does not meet the 2 percent threshold.

I for one prefer to live in a world where Germany under spends on defense.  There track record over the last century when given access to a lot of weapons is a bit disturbing.  

From the linked article:

Some expressed particular dissatisfaction with Germany, the fourth largest economy in the world, which does not meet the 2 percent threshold.

I for one prefer to live in a world where Germany under spends on defense.  There track record over the last century when given access to a lot of weapons is a bit disturbing.  

man Walt, you are just saying all kinds of stuff I like tonight. 

From the linked article:

They should do like us, we spend way way less than Germany!

As a matter of fact, we spend less on defence than we did in nineteen-fucking-thirty-eight. We fought the Germans using this shit:

38771025.jpeg

Geschut%208cm%20brons.JPG

An orchard in front of our main defence line wasn't allowed to be cut down because that would cause the owner much financial damage, and we can't have that, can we?

So when the Germans attacked they went "Hey, nice cover, thanks!".

Mmmm, such eloquence:

“Well, I think many. I mean, when we get into the Bible, I think many, so many. And some people, look, an eye for an eye, you can almost say that. That’s not a particularly nice thing. But you know, if you look at what’s happening to our country, I mean, when you see what’s going on with our country, how people are taking advantage of us … we have to be firm and have to be very strong. And we can learn a lot from the Bible, that I can tell you.”

I'll let you guess which candidate this is from.

Is it worth pointing out that Jesus specifically said that eye for an eye was not his bag?

Matthew 5:38-42  “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.”

God damn it Walter!!!

The Republicans have been bashed for years for being a bunch of Bible thumpers and religious fundies! Now that we have finally got a front-runner who isn't one and he's being bashed for NOT knowing the Bible? Sad!

Am... Am I doing Trump Twitter-speek right? I'm supposed to end any statement with "Sad!" or some such one-word phrase.

God damn it Walter!!!

The Republicans have been bashed for years for being a bunch of Bible thumpers and religious fundies! Now that we have finally got a front-runner who isn't one and he's being bashed for NOT knowing the Bible? Sad!

Am... Am I doing Trump Twitter-speek right? I'm supposed to end any statement with "Sad!" or some such one-word phrase.

Close, but probably too many syllables. 

The Bible, at least to me, contradicts itself too many times for me to take people too seriously when they say "well actually the Bible says X." It is refreshing to have a Republican who doesn't have a theocratic streak, but it is Donald.

The Bible is a total mess as far as any sort of coherent message goes.  Heck, the Gospels don't even agree with each other, let alone the Old and New Testament.  If I were running for office and someone asked me what my favorite bible verse is, my answer would be Deut 25-11.  This is why I will never be elected to public office.  

This is, by the way, why serious biblical scholars (including Christian ones) think that Bible literalists are retarded.

For one thing, the conceit that any book made by man is perfect and awesome and should be interpreted totally literally is basically the same thing as saying any preacher is divinely inspired and infallible, which is probably a very fun way to troll Bible literalists.

I think a lot of Americans are coming to terms with The Great Modern Crusade. The Rise of Evangelism in the past few decades has been built on the same grounds as the oldest media construct: Give someone an enemy. Tell them that Satanic or Gay influences will drag your children into Hell. Being able to point a finger provides a comfortable simplicity, which makes it easier to scare and exploit followers.

The problem is that many movements have learned that you can't keep people at a certain level of angry for too long. It's hard to remember to wake up, work, come home, handle your home life/family and oh yeah make sure to be super angry about the possibility of X movement like you were. Maybe it'll pop into your head, but more often than not you'd rather just go drinking with the lesbian or atheist couple you know from work than try to pop a vein being mad about them being happy.

Manhattan's AD73 ED46 Precinct had 67 votes for Clinton, 19 for Bernie, 13 for Kasich, and 8 for Cruz. 23 voted fro Trump. This is where Trump Tower is located. Trump won ~18% of the vote in his own neighborhood. 

Other interesting notes:

Looks like Cruz won the Jewish vote based on what neighborhoods he actually won.

Sanders looks like his anti-Wall Street rhetoric got him only ~25% of the votes from Wall Street itself.