Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

This sounds fake to me.  Its been a while since I had to call a tow truck that was not covered by my car warranty, but I think they typically ask for some sort of payment in advance.  If for some reason "bernie" supporters were ripping him off, perhaps he should ask for payment in advance?  Also, if someone owns a tow truck in Asheville and refuses service to Bernie supporters, they are going to very quickly run out of customers.  That place is pretty much the Portland of the East.  That said, it's got some very nice used book stores and breweries, as well as the Vanderbilt mansion, which is worth touring.  

This SNL skit didn't suck. Mainly because it is a rehash of the 1990s.

It is interesting how an outfit like Saturday Night Live chooses to mock Trump versus how they ravaged Ted Cruz. Cruz is a phony, hypocritical, preachy Bible-thumper. 

Whereas Trump is "insulted" since he hangs out with beautiful women, is demonstrably not a Christian (which is a positive among certain voter blocks) and always getting over on his opponents by insulting them until they cry. He's a buffoon, but he's a LIKABLE buffoon, much like how SNL portrayed Bill Clinton in the 1990s.

I think this is significant.

I know it's fun to make fun of Trump for being a buffoonish Oompa Loompa. 

But Hillary Clinton is really running on the fact that the US government needs to come clean on UFOs and space aliens?

Hillary Clinton Wants more transparency about Aliens via FiveThirty Eight.

Hillary Clinton Gives UFO Buffs Hope She Will Open the X-Files via the New York Times

CNN also has a story.

And my local Alt Weekly. 

So we finally get to learn whether the Greys are responsible for all of our futuristic technology or whether everything is derived from Nazi Scientist Wunderwaffe amalgamating V-2 Rockets with Sturmgewehrs and the frontal plates of Maus tanks.

I know it's fun to make fun of Trump for being a buffoonish Oompa Loompa.

But Hillary Clinton is really running on the fact that the US government needs to come clean on UFOs and space aliens?

Hillary Clinton Wants more transparency about Aliens via FiveThirty Eight.

Hillary Clinton Gives UFO Buffs Hope She Will Open the X-Files via the New York Times

CNN also has a story.

And my local Alt Weekly.

So we finally get to learn whether the Greys are responsible for all of our futuristic technology or whether everything is derived from Nazi Scientist Wunderwaffe amalgamating V-2 Rockets with Sturmgewehrs and the frontal plates of Maus tanks.

Or whether the Nazis were secretly aliens.

Or whether the Nazis were secretly aliens.

Wait a second...

Aliens are sometimes called Grays. Nazis wear Gray uniforms.

Grays are aliens. Tiger tanks are Gray.

Grays = Field Gray = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray Uniforms = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray Uniforms = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray Uniforms = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray Uniforms = Grays = Gray Tigers = Greys = Gay Tigers = Grays = Grays = Field Gray = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray Uniforms = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray = Grays = Gray Tigers = Grays = Field Gray Uniforms = Grays = Gray Tigers = Gay Uniforms = Grays

*Maniacal Laughter*

Irrelevant Green Party candidate Jill Stein hosts AMA on reddit, posts uninformed hippie screed about how nuclear power is bad and should feel bad, gets downvoted to hell.

Ah, the Green Party, pandering to hippies with ravings against nuclear power and for woo like homeopathic medicine, and accomplishing nothing of any benefit for the environment. Hilarious.

Irrelevant Green Party candidate Jill Stein hosts AMA on reddit, posts uninformed hippie screed about how nuclear power is bad and should feel bad, gets downvoted to hell.

Ah, the Green Party, pandering to hippies with ravings against nuclear power and for woo like homeopathic medicine, and accomplishing nothing of any benefit for the environment. Hilarious.

I'm surprised they don't support nuclear, especially considering that nuclear waste is depicted as green afterall

It'll be curious to see what comes of any Third Party run this season. The Libertarian Party seems to think that Gary Johnson is going to magick up 15 percent of the popular vote this season if the race actually comes down to Hillary and Trump and that they're the natural heirs to the #NEVERTRUMP #NEVERHILLARY movements.

I'm pretty skeptical. 

It's probably a symptom of them being fucking stupid

oh look we have this virtually carbon neutral power source with ridiculous energy density

let's not use it

If you believe Jill Stein, nuclear power plants are weapons of mass destruction waiting to go off. I guess we're still building Chernobyl-like reactor designs staffed by imbeciles in her mind.

If you believe Jill Stein, nuclear power plants are weapons of mass destruction waiting to go off. I guess we're still building Chernobyl-like reactor designs staffed by imbeciles in her mind.

Theory; Jill Stein and other anti-nuclear activists are secretly funded by coal industry.

It'll be curious to see what comes of any Third Party run this season. The Libertarian Party seems to think that Gary Johnson is going to magick up 15 percent of the popular vote this season if the race actually comes down to Hillary and Trump and that they're the natural heirs to the #NEVERTRUMP #NEVERHILLARY movements.

I'm pretty skeptical. 

The Libertarians could probably get 5% if they end up nominating Johnson, who's probably the best third party candidate in a while (in terms of qualification and not being a fucking loon)

Rod Adams is convinced that anti-nukes are chiefly puppets of the oil industry.  I haven't actually heard his entire case for this, but the bits and pieces I've heard have not been altogether convincing.  He has demonstrated that the oil industry absolutely does fund anti-nuclear activism, but he has not demonstrated to my satisfaction that they are the primary force behind the movement.

But like I said, I've only ever heard him mention it tangentially in his podcasts.  He may have more damning and comprehensive evidence that I'm just unaware of.

Obama gave a speech at Rutgers that all the news outlets are saying was "political."  And yes, it was political in that he touted his successes and gave indirect warnings about Trump.  I decided to read the transcript since I seldom trust how reporters cover such things. One thing I liked was his comments toward the end regarding Rutgers student's treatment of Condi Rice in 2014 when they protested against her being commencement speaker.

I know a couple years ago, folks on this campus got upset that Condoleezza Rice was supposed to speak at a commencement.  Now, I don't think it's a secret that I disagree with many of the foreign policies of Dr. Rice and the previous administration.  But the notion that this community or the country would be better served by not hearing from a former Secretary of State, or shutting out what she had to say -- I believe that's misguided.  (Applause.)  I don't think that's how democracy works best, when we're not even willing to listen to each other.  (Applause.)  I believe that's misguided. 

If you disagree with somebody, bring them in -- (applause)

-- and ask them tough questions.  Hold their feet to the fire.  Make them defend their positions.  (Applause.)  If somebody has got a bad or offensive idea, prove it wrong.  Engage it.  Debate it.  Stand up for what you believe in.  (Applause.)  Don't be scared to take somebody on.  Don't feel like you got to shut your ears off because you're too fragile and somebody might offend your sensibilities.  Go at them if they're not making any sense. Use your logic and reason and words.  And by doing so, you'll strengthen your own position, and you'll hone your arguments.  And maybe you'll learn something and realize you don't know everything.  And you may have a new understanding not only about what your opponents believe but maybe what you believe.  Either way, you win.  And more importantly, our democracy wins.  (Applause.) 

There you have it, even Obama thinks what passes for "activism" on campuses these days it pretty silly.  

And President Obama was then viciously stoned to death for violating the students Safe Place.

President Joe Biden took office the next day, saving the nation from a Trump/Hillary President and thereby bringing in a Golden Age of politics by vowing to be the Trans Am driving, wife-beater shirt wearing, tatted up caricature portrayed by The Onion when it used to sometimes be funny.

Alright, what is the over-sensitive response to safe spaces about? I thought this would be something really inoffensive, but after talking with Nate recently, apparently the over-reactionary internet tough guy crowd are harassing these groups with bomb and death threats because they have the gall to help domestic abuse victims find shelters and legal help or soldiers/civs with PTSD affordable care

I think the backlash against "Safe Spaces" is the completely arbitrary nature of what constitutes that social construct.

As for threats, yeah, there are morons on the Internet. They either have a large and loud voice, or you realize that most are simply trolls or are sockpuppets and ignore them. 

Alright, what is the over-sensitive response to safe spaces about? I thought this would be something really inoffensive, but after talking with Nate recently, apparently the over-reactionary internet tough guy crowd are harassing these groups with bomb and death threats because they have the gall to help domestic abuse victims find shelters and legal help or soldiers/civs with PTSD affordable care

I think both "sides" have their shitheads. On the safe spaces "side", you have the people who shout until speakers are barred from campuses, that kind of thing.

I know you're thinking "but those people don't have anything to do with the mental health volunteers I am talking about", and you're probably right. Wouldn't be the first time the would-be Che special snowflakes on Tumblr and college campuses coopted and misused a concept they didn't understand.

As for neoreactionaries, there's a reason I don't talk much about my participation in the early part of that "movement", as it turns out THOSE concepts are catnip for edgy 4chan tough guys who lie about their sexual prowess and whose favorite movie is Fight Club.

Those paying attention will have already realized both of these problems are the result of stupid people having unlimited access to information that is too complex for them. Feel free to point out this connection whenever someone from one or the other group is annoying you.

It's just that I've pretty much stopped participating in social media and even browsing imgur to look at a funny picture on the toilet, because so much of it is latching on to the anti-SJW train. Circle-jerks are bad enough as it is, but when it's in my face and these people, though they are the 98% majority believe that they are a minority under assault. I guess it's just a shortcut for some people to feel tough and validated that to be celebrated on the internet, you only need to be ideologically opposed to something.