Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

Gary Johnson won the Libertarian Party nomination; http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/politics/libertarian-party-nominee-vote/

This is probably a good thing for them, since apparently some of the other candidates were pretty fringe-libertarian (also Johnson at least has experience in government). Still doubt they'll get more than 3-4% of the vote.

It looks like William Weld, the former Massachusetts Governor and Guy-Who-Became-Libertarian-Two-Weeks-Ago got their Veep nomination. That'll piss off half em.

Also, there are a higher number of Furries and Starfleet officers and Stormtroopers than one normally sees at a political convention.

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/05/libertarians-catgirls

Libertarians: "The Patriot Act is bad, we should legalize guns and weed."

Me: "Alright, I would like to hear more about your platform."

Libertarians: "Drivers licenses are tyranny, meth should be legal, wearing pants is tyranny."

Me: emot-yikes.gif

Libertarian philosophers: Living is tyrrany

None of this shit is new:

He [Joseph McCarthy] had a diabolical fascination and an almost hypnotic power over news-hungry reporters.  They were somehow reluctantly grateful to him for turning out their product.  They stood astonished that he could make so much news from such meager raw material.  Many hated him; all helped him.  They were victims of what one of them called their "indiscriminate objectivity."  In other words, McCarthy and the newsmen both thrived on the same synthetic commodity.  Senator McCarthy's political fortunes were promoted almost as much by newsmen who considered themselves his enemies as by those few who were his friends.  Without the active help of all of them he could never have created the pseudo-events which brought him notoriety and power.

-The Image: a Guide to Pseudo-Events in American, Daniel J. Boorstin

C. 1962

An NRO writer by the name of David French might be the #NeverTrump candidate that the neocons wanted.

I met him at a free speech seminar at my college a couple months ago. He seemed to be pretty consistent on 1st amendment rights, but is a complete dork (and war mongering social conservative) and nothing at all about him said "president." At the very least it's an excuse for the dozen or so people who hate Trump but just can't vote for Clinton or Johnson.

I guess a few protesters got tackled by the Secret Service for trying to rush the stage at a Bernie Sanders rally.

It didn't look like Sanders was wanting the "protection".

That one guy looks uncannily like a certain (in)famous Indian robot.

m8dD8kj.jpg