Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

So I heard that Ted Cruz got booed off stage at the Convention after not endorsing Trump.

That's his political career.

The thing with Cruz and his supporters is somehow they think they are God's Anointed just because they showed up to a couple caucuses and that somehow Ted Cruz is the Second Coming of Ronald Reagan and this is 1976.

I'm glad I wasn't pressured by my friends to sink any political capital or waste time campaigning for him.

I talked to an old college friend who worked for the Cruz campaign this year, and it's more far-reaching. The Republican party is in a bad position right now. Groups like the Freedom Caucus have put a lot of the party power in doubt. They made a lot of hardline promises over the years that were really hard to keep, and it's created some serious internal issues they have to work out.

I think Ted's in a bit more good graces, as I took his speech as "fuck the presidency, we gotta keep The Senate." I personally find him to be one of the worst of the career politicians, but I have respect that he didn't turn around and say "all is forgiven, vote Trump" after having to wade through the shitshow that was this primary.

The outcome of the Hillary email scandal will be extremely revealing as to exactly how the media-government relationship works. If Hillary does not face consequences of one variety or another for it, we'll have learned something, and if she does, we'll have learned something else.

https://www.facebook.com/wesley.davis.3762/videos/1154437641283093/

Arstechnica breakdown of the hows and whys of the email issue.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/07/indifference-and-ignorance-delving-deep-into-the-clinton-e-mail-saga/

The article seems to want you to believe that Clinton's culpability was reduced because in many cases "nobody told her the information was classified". However, much of the additional information in the article paints a picture of Clinton as a petulant child who wants to use her Blackberry, national security be damned.

Maybe Clinton didn't know some of that information was classified, but it sure sounds like she didn't give a damn either way.

Things could have easily changed, but the few (now released) classified docs that I've seen have how secret they are stamped everywhere on them and are pretty hard to miss.  Might be harder to do on emails, but I don't see not knowing they were classified as a valid reason at all, either way.  Whether or not she really realized they were classified doesn't change how they were handled.  Commie spies don't care about intent.

I've not read the link in question yet, but will in a bit when I've got the time.

So Hillary picked Sen. Tim Kaine of *looks up on Google* Virginia?

The only reason I can think for her doing this is because her advisors think she is playing with a safe lead and that this might somehow magically result in Republican #NEVERTRUMPers crossing over to vote for her.

Meanwhile it is increasingly apparent that Bernie Sanders supporters are bolting to Libertarian #FeelTheJohnson or will stay home.

Things could have easily changed, but the few (now released) classified docs that I've seen have how secret they are stamped everywhere on them and are pretty hard to miss.  Might be harder to do on emails, but I don't see not knowing they were classified as a valid reason at all, either way.  Whether or not she really realized they were classified doesn't change how they were handled.  Commie spies don't care about intent.

I've not read the link in question yet, but will in a bit when I've got the time.

Where I work, all emails with classified shit have to have classification headers on them. If there's classified attachments, that has to be in the email too. It's pretty easy to not miss it, a dialogue box pops up before you send an email asking you what the classification is.

VP picks almost never help, they can only hurt.  Think about it, the only time a VP candidate gets much attention is when they hurt the presidential candidate.  Take Sarah Palin and Dan Quayle for example.  Its always best to go "safe" with these picks, which is what both Hillary and Trump did.  

It depends. The VP this year is a way to secret handshake the base of your party that you mean what you're running on.

Trump's biggest obstacle has been conservatives in the GOP who still think he's a Democrat operative. Pence is a way to quash that.

Clinton on the other hand has her own internal troubles with the Sanders SJWs who are threatening to stay home or go Gary Johnson (LOL) or some other futile 3rd party choice.

The Hillary-beast must think these Sanders voters are in her pocket. Kaine is the traditional lurch to the middle candidate which I'm not sure will work this go round.

Particularly when all it takes is a 140 character tweet from Trump to send Clinton and her cohorts running down the street like the stupid neighbor dog chasing the garbage truck.

I guess the question that is on everyone's minds is what nickname Trump will give Kaine like Crooked Hillary, Lyin' Ted or Lil' Marco.

I mean. It's not like Hillary can run on her accomplishments.

And here's some analysis of the leaked information for those who CBA to dig through it themselves.

T___A has brought up a question; if the DNC had Hilary in mind already, why did it take her longer visibly defeat Sanders than it took for Trump to knock out many more opponents?

Rush Limbaugh has brought up this point several times.

The answer I feel is that a lot of experts working in D.C. and New York spend too much time hanging out with each other. That and the DNC is still behaving like they are running against Mitt Romney or JEB! Bush or Scott Walker. Nor can they use the scary religious fundamentalist argument like they would against Cruz.

I'm a little baffled by the anti-Trump rhetoric I'm seeing.  I shouldn't be baffled, but evidently I lack pattern recognition.  Pattern recognition in this case being the realization that Trump's opponents this year are cretins who cannot construct an effective anti-Trump campaign to save their lives.  Or at least to save their jobs.

The line right now, which if I had to guess is a carefully massaged and coordinated astro-turf product, is that Trump is dire threat to world peace, the balance of the Force, and virgin puppies everywhere.

So they're conceding the idea that he's strong.  The anti-Trump rhetoric is that the guy, when elected, will somehow arrogate absolute authority and start tossing undesirables into gas chambers while he munches on the pickled hearts of orphans from atop his throne of heartless orphans.

Now, maybe I've read too much Nietzsche, but surely it would be more effective to disparage the man as a posturing, fluorescent marmoset who's way out of his depth?  Not by wrath does one kill, and all that.  In fact, if I recall that was the anti-Trump line about a year ago; that the guy was a joke.  But suddenly now he's Vlad Tepes.  Why the change?  What does that betoken?  To me, it looks like fear.  Certainly, it does not look like being the strong horse.

Well that's the ultimate Win-Win scenario with a Trump presidency. If he really is Mussolini in spray tan, then we have the House of Representatives and Senate and Supreme Court to rein him in.

And that's the problem.

So many people regard the President as having unlimited imperial power.