Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

Why? Smarty-pant elite republicans, that make up a tiny fraction of the republican coalition, have been anti-Trump from the start. I'm not surprised at all, and this likely means nothing as no one is going to change their vote because some Harvard bowtie-wearing fraternity man-children say no to Trump. 

Why? Smarty-pant elite republicans, that make up a tiny fraction of the republican coalition, have been anti-Trump from the start. I'm not surprised at all, and this likely means nothing as no one is going to change their vote because some Harvard bowtie-wearing fraternity man-children say no to Trump. 

Pretty much this.  Much though it pains me to say this, Rush Limbaugh's analysis of how much closer Beltway Republican insiders really are to the Democrats than their base has been right all along.

Now, the important question is whether the selective reporting of these sorts of non-events has impaired the objectivity of opinion polling data.  I'm wondering if this will be similar to Brexit, where wonky polling and large error bars hid some big surprises.

If you go back far enough you'll find Democrats talking about how McCain seems like an alright sort of moderate guy... back when he was an obstacle and opponent for George W. Bush.

Politicians aren't people.  They're windsocks.  They change direction frequently and are full of blowing air.

If you go back far enough you'll find Democrats talking about how McCain seems like an alright sort of moderate guy... back when he was an obstacle and opponent for George W. Bush.

Politicians aren't people.  They're windsocks.  They change direction frequently and are full of blowing air.

Prior to him losing to GW Bush in 2000, McCain had cultivated a reputation as a bit of a "maverick", which was the source of his crossover appeal in that period.  I don't agree with much of his politics but I respect him as a man who has survived much and accomplished much.  Trumps comments regarding McCain and other POWs earlier in this election season were reprehensible.  My biggest complaint about McCain is that he inflicted Sarah Palin upon us all.  

Prior to him losing to GW Bush in 2000, McCain had cultivated a reputation as a bit of a "maverick", which was the source of his crossover appeal in that period.  I don't agree with much of his politics but I respect him as a man who has survived much and accomplished much.  Trumps comments regarding McCain and other POWs earlier in this election season were reprehensible.  My biggest complaint about McCain is that he inflicted Sarah Palin upon us all.  

Palin was the first big rip for the republicans. There's a difference between being the common man party and the spiteful anti-intellectual party, and the fact that they were pushing no-name dipshits who couldn't get a coherent sentence across as presidential material wasn't working well for the former. This is the party that realistically could have had an absolute run  of presidents like McCain or Luger, but I feel got a little too hungry for short-term gratification.

A friend of mine who I met doing Get Out the Vote type stuff in college who now has a pretty high position for a young guy in the GOP sounds like a nervous wreck right now. Going with what I can perceive, I predicted that the Republican establishment would start culling the congressmen and personalities who've hurt the party's image, and he basically said:

"That's probably what we'd do if we knew who stood where and if anyone high up had any power left."

I play TW: Attila with him, and he kind of went on a roll about how the GOP feels like late-Rome. Fractured, mistrustful of every shadow, too willing/too unwilling to fight in the wrong areas. He talks about basically being locked up in a corner of the office with some boss of his, drinking at daylight and talking about just where things went wrong. There's a lot of regret vis a vis Fox News. Having a doughy manbaby crying about hot dogs with no mustard and Jon Stewart being ready with Hannity vs. Hannity clips scared away a lot of people. The only thing anyone there can agree on is that cutting down on tea party rhetoric and pillow-strangling the Freedom Caucus are highest on the to-do list, and Huelskamp getting kicked out of his spot is probably the first volley.

My other two friends in the Dems sound less pessimistic than they used to. Debbie Schulz was a disaster that they'd been complaining about for years. One of the complaints is that they were still in Bush-years mode, pissing and whining about everything but party establishment holding them back from passing home runs like minimum wage increase and financial sector reforms. Apparently Debbie just refused to work with Obama in any capacity and is often blamed as much for the stalemate as the Rebublicans were.

AKkvkA.jpg

Martin Shkreli has suggested that HRC has Parkinson's

https://twitter.com/martinshkreli/status/762374379514765314

Here's a gem from one of his followers...

Kyle @dealwithitKyle 3h3 hours ago

@MartinShkreli a diploma doesn't prove intelligence, You're an extremely intelligence man.

11 retweets 46 likes

The #NEVERTRUMP campaign's cunning strategy of picking some dude at random from the Goldmann Sachs employee handbook and running him for President has worked!

But seriously, this is the fevered dream of Glenn Beck who thinks this guy can win in Utah and other Mormon states like Idaho and Arizona and - something something - throw the vote to the House of Representatives because no one gets 270 electoral votes.

And folks wonder why these geniuses have lost elections in 2008 and 2012.

Incorrect, the only choice this election is Qrulath the Inevitable, Legion-Godhead of the Ninth Circle of the Outer Oort Cloud.

But a vote for Qrulath is wasted in a two-party system!

What your country needs is obviously {STATIC MIXED WITH INCOHERENT SCREAMING}

I know the third party logic seems sound, but it honestly makes me uneasy. Imagine what kind of weirdos we could end up with if they could win on 30% of the vote.

Countries that actually have systems like this moan about it all the time. Then again, plenty of them run just fine somehow anyway.

So I saw a couple weeks ago Gary Johnson endorsed Black Lives Matter. Now his running mate is calling AR-15s and handguns weapons of mass destruction.

http://www.guns.com/2016/08/12/libertarian-vp-nominee-william-weld-is-kinda-anti-gun-video/

And I guess he said you can take a standard military rifle that holds five shots, remove the pin, add a clip and it becomes fully automatic.

I'm... I'm kinda sad. I remember when Libertarians used to be about the Constitution, auditing the Fed and getting the US outta the UN. Now they're nothing but a bunch of Bernie Sanders wannabes.