Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

I was actually taken aback by the gall of Clinton to claim that Trump was insulting blacks by talking about poverty, education, etc. Because it's not like that's a Democratic party line or anything!

And then she talked about how Ross Perot and George W. Bush were so anti-racist. Yeah, well, you and your party never gave them or any of their followers any credit for that, and now they have elected Donald Trump.

I just hope that when you lie in this bed you've made it swallows you whole instead of handing you a crown.

Honestly, this is the first time a Republican candidate in decades that has ever taken the gloves off in regards to race in America and has been willing to fight back.

I remember the 1996 Vice Presidential debate between Algore and Jack Kemp. Kemp was sort of the Great White Hope in terms of attracting poor and inner city blacks.

Watch at the 1:17:52 mark. (Or a little before if you want Kemp's comments). Algore pays a back-handed compliment to Kemp thanking him for not being a coarse bigot like the rest of the GOP. 

And Kemp THANKED Gore for saying that.

https://youtu.be/FuxEkzOCiuQ?t=1h17m52s

GORE: I think Mr. Lehrer, that throughout much of his career, Jack Kemp has been a powerful and needed voice against the kind of coarseness and incivility that you refer to in the question. I think it's an extremely valuable service to have a voice within the Republican party who says we ought to be one nation. We ought to cross all of the racial and ethnic and cultural barriers. I think that is a very important message to deliver. And we ought to speak out against these violations of civility when they do occur. You asked about the incident involving Roberto Alomar. I won't hesitate to tell you what I think. I think he should have been severely disciplined, suspended perhaps, immediately. I don't understand why that action was not taken, but the same could be said of so many incidents in all kinds of institutions in our society, but I compliment Mr. Kemp for the leadership he has shown in moving us away from that kind of attitude.

KEMP: Well, I thank you, Al. I mean that very, very sincerely, but I'm trying to make a bigger point.

Scott Adams describing one of the qualities I hate most in people:

Clinton also associated Trump with various unpopular groups, such as white supremacists, based on the fact that many support him. Obviously there are lots of terrible people supporting every candidate for president, but they don’t all have a label. The existence of the Alt-Right movement allowed Clinton to slap a label on Trump’s supporters to invite what I call word-thinking.

Word-thinking is a popular alternative to reason. A word-thinker ignores facts and logic, and tries to jam all observations into existing labels. For a word-thinker, everyone in the world is either a racist or a good person. The reality is that human brains operate on pattern recognition, which pretty much guarantees that all of us are sexists and racists to some degree. But word-thinkers only see two categories. 

This same type of word-thinking was seen in the GOP primaries. Much of the discussion was about whether or not Trump was a conservative. People believed, quite irrationally, that if Trump didn’t fit into that label with precision, he was not worthy to be president. Word-thinkers are not confined to one side of the political world. It is a universal mental phenomenon. 

Word-thinking is important to persuasion because if you can convince someone to accept a label on an opponent, it turns off their critical thought and turns on their confirmation bias. Nuance is lost. Context is lost. All that matters once the label is accepted is whatever qualities the label already contained.

So Clinton succeeded in associating the Alt-Right label with Trump, even though he isn’t one of them. That was good persuasion technique. By my scorecard, Clinton won that news cycle.

Similar to what's said in the quote just posted above me, in hindsight I'm feeling like this is going to be pretty good thing for her campaign.

Some people have already been saying this, but now Hillary is playing 4D chess like Trump has been doing since the start. Your well-read and critical-thinking voter is not only a minority, but you're probably not going to be winning many of those over at this stage. The 30 minutes of emotionally fuiled half truths and lies makes very clear she doesn't care about them. The fact that she uses logical fallacies like guilt by association is irrelevant because logic isn't what's going to win this electio anyways.

Policy, reason, and a clear direction aren't enough to win you an election. Being able to work on peoples' emotions and craft up convinent labels helps get you a vocal, cohesive, and loyal voter base. Of course, it's not the only thing that matters, but Trump the underdog absolutely steamrolled the rest of the GoP doing so. Winning in this case I don't think is as much about making yourself look like a good leader as it is knowing what makes people tick and how to use that for your gain.

Edit: I was feeling awfully enlightened at 5am. Don't quote me on the above. Maybe it has some value to it, but oh well.

Edited by ApplesauceBandit

Wait, let me get this straight;

Trump's base of support is a group of internet weirdos that was hitherto rare and hard to find even on the internet, which is a well-known kook-amplifier who have grown in numbers so explosively that they are now threatening to carry him to victory.

Yes.  That is definitely a satisfactory explanation for what we have seen.  Trump definitely didn't butcher the other Republican candidates because his campaign is better funded, organized, and because he's fundamentally more charismatic and better at telling people what they want to hear.

Yes.  By the logical device known as "Occam's fuck you I'll believe whatever I want," QED.

I note that if the democrats can convince people that half the population are Nazis, they will have gained a significant political advantage that they can continue to use even beyond this election.

The fact that that is just one step away from purges probably doesn't bother them much, either.

Funnily enough, during the last week I've seen / heard about twice as many Johnson ads as Trump ads.

Trump's campaign is an absolute mess right now. The guy he tapped to be his campaign CEO is a former Breitbart contributor whose ex-wife once filed domestic abuse charges and accused him of anti-semitic ramblings. Then he picked up David Bossie of Citizens United to be deputy campaign manager. I called this months ago. Once he got into the main election, you'd see him do anything he could to tank it while still collecting his speaking money.

The more I hear about the way Trump runs things like his businesses and campaigns, the more it reminds me of stories that older chefs told me about the restaurant booms of the '70s and '80s. Some guy got some money working for dad, or being born for dad, and for this reason or that, a lot of people know his name. He pays everyone to do the work, take the blame, and forgo credit. He spares no expense in building a beautiful dining room while the kitchen is stocked with a CRAY array of microwaves pushing out Stouffer's-quality with Le Pyramide presentation. The people running the sham spots are the types who could robbing Wall Street if they actually used shampoo once in a while. The ventures make money on name recognition. All the way for the guy who started it, the game is "fuck you got mine" until the venture inevitably crashes when while the police are investigating claims of ink leaking off cash register money, a rat the size of a Possum drags a ziploc bag of Rohypnol across the floor in front of them. Then he's nowhere to be seen, but people remember that big, beautiful dining room and the guy who came by comping checks for them, and as long as he's got money, they remember his name.

I'm very tired rightnow

Trump's campaign is an absolute mess right now. The guy he tapped to be his campaign CEO is a former Breitbart contributor whose ex-wife once filed domestic abuse charges and accused him of anti-semitic ramblings. Then he picked up David Bossie of Citizens United to be deputy campaign manager. I called this months ago. Once he got into the main election, you'd see him do anything he could to tank it while still collecting his speaking money.

The more I hear about the way Trump runs things like his businesses and campaigns, the more it reminds me of stories that older chefs told me about the restaurant booms of the '70s and '80s. Some guy got some money working for dad, or being born for dad, and for this reason or that, a lot of people know his name. He pays everyone to do the work, take the blame, and forgo credit. He spares no expense in building a beautiful dining room while the kitchen is stocked with a CRAY array of microwaves pushing out Stouffer's-quality with Le Pyramide presentation. The people running the sham spots are the types who could robbing Wall Street if they actually used shampoo once in a while. The ventures make money on name recognition. All the way for the guy who started it, the game is "fuck you got mine" until the venture inevitably crashes when while the police are investigating claims of ink leaking off cash register money, a rat the size of a Possum drags a ziploc bag of Rohypnol across the floor in front of them. Then he's nowhere to be seen, but people remember that big, beautiful dining room and the guy who came by comping checks for them, and as long as he's got money, they remember his name.

I'm very tired rightnow

No, this is fucking lyrical. Damn if it makes any sense at all, but I feel like I understand the impression you're trying to capture here.

Then again, I'm tired too.