Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

She has had a long political career sure,  and that long career has resulted in her being maybe the most disliked politician in history. Granted, the Donald is less well liked, but after over a year of the media spinning everything the guy says and does as evil, the only surprise is how close Hillary is in the same category, and that's with the media in her pocket. The Donald will only be a politician when he wins. 

She's the worst sort of feminist, because she is pushing bullshit feminism in this country as if there is some kind of serious gender issue, while taking money from some of the most disgusting anti women nations around (namely Saudi Arabia ), just to try and get someone to vote for her.  And you stated her being behind the curve on LGBT rights as if that's something I should like, when in fact, I'm pro gay marriage and don't have issues with transgenders and have been that way longer than she has, far longer. That she couldn't figure out it would not have hurt her to openly support this stuff much earlier is just another sigh of her poor judgement.  That she just didn't stand up for it because it's the right thing to do is sign of her poor character. 

I think I covered the baby boomers and how they think they did so much, when they really didn't, and the anti war movement of the 60s was as disgusting as the war they were protesting, plus who doesn't resent their parents generation for being a bunch of rock heads? :D

Now, onto Clinton the criminal, I'll give you there was a lot of republican witch hunting, but not all of it resulted in nothing. Bill was disbarred after all. The scandals that matter are all the recent ones.

Her private server in her own basement is nutty, it's not like Powell using a private email, she had a server, (he used AOL lol) the government didn't have access too, that she later had destroyed, but still gets away with it makes it seem like the fix is in. I'm not a conspiracy kinda guy, but she did things that if my dad had done while in the navy, he'd been in federal prison. It's clear her shit got hacked, since it's not being released by various hackers and wiki leaks, and these releases prove she lied to the public about the whole thing. Her sloppy handling of classified documents is damning, peoples lives can depend on that stuff, and it's damn clear she gives no shits about that.  

I'm not sure why Bush came up, he was a shitshow too, and I wasn't a fan, but I bet he'd be more pleasant to have a few beers with.  I thought the general consensus on politicians is they were all lying scumbags, with a few being better or worse than others, but I have to say, a politician that takes kickbacks through her charitable foundation for favors from the state department is going to have to top the scumbag scale. 

As others have pointed out, her political career is pretty humdrum if not bad. She has accomplished little, but fucked up much, and the United States international image is worse now than under Bush. At least Bush knew how to counter Putin.

I want to revisit the corruption thing, I do not want to believe the fix was in on the FBI not prosecuting her, but it can be seen that way, and people I've  never heard make any conspiracy theory noises before thing Clinton bought off the FBI, or he decided Trump couldn't be handed the presidency.

Personally, if I were a democrat, and I'm not, I'm no party preference, I would be livid with the party, and not want to vote for Hillary either.  It's a strait up fact the DNC and Hillary worked together to sabotage Bernie Sanders.  The DNC chose Hillary for the party, their primary system was a fixed joke. Now regular American democrats are stuck with a horrible candidate that no one likes, and if Trump gets his shit together, will lose to him. If that doesn't cause as many problems for the DNC as the Tangerine Tornado does for the RNC, then I guess the dems are getting what they wanted.  

Now, I'll prolly write in something on my ballot, being in california any vote not for Clinton doesn't count. 

The only upside to any of this, is millennials seem to have as little interest in political parties as they do in organized religion, so maybe both with die out in the next few decades.

I think Trump getting into office will be bad, funny, but bad, but not nation ending, nuclear war with Russia, because Hillary has to prove she has the biggest nuts on the street, when she doesn't, and Putin will fuck her/us up.

I think she will restrict the rights of law abiding gun owners pushing laws that will make no difference in crime rates, and she will appoint judges who will hammer away at the second amendment every chance they get. Plus she was making noises about reversing the decision on not being able to sue gun makers because the products work. In the present climate of cops shooting people for no good reason, and guns, drugs, being black, etc are scapegoated, she'll probably get the job done, since she is an experienced politician.

It's amazing in a pretty sad way that these are the choices we ended up with. Both political parties failed, and failed big, and so did the we I guess.      

source your quotes

Guys, let's not get into this. We've done a great job so far not devolving into liberal vs. conservative, and I don't think it's worth it to sacrifice that just to have an argument.

Brick, if you're wondering why I'm saying this after you asked for sources, it's because sources don't mean anything in political debates. I'm sure your intentions are good, and normally I'd be completely in favor of sourcing stuff, but let's just... Not have this argument. We could throw PolitiFact and Breitbart against each other all day long, but I think honestly everyone would rather just not do that. Or, if that sounds like a good time to you, maybe take it to private messages. Does it make sense where I am coming from?

Speaking of shitshows, am I the only one who found the faces being made as one of the most amusing parts of it?  I only took a few screencaps to spam people with, but there were more good ones than just the 4 shots I grabbed.  I could just be finding them funny since I'm a bit bonkers right now, but maybe I'm right.

XMdo8Yk.png

http://imgur.com/a/oLEzt

I have 100 posts now.  Someone give me a golden sticker.

Also, random comment from FB observations. Don, watching you on FB has been fascinating, and very educational.  You and I are not quite as far apart as I thought at first.  Very different 1st priorities, and very different tolerance levels on certain subjects... but still. Interesting.

Also, random comment from FB observations. Don, watching you on FB has been fascinating, and very educational. You and I are not quite as far apart as I thought at first. Very different 1st priorities, and very different tolerance levels on certain subjects... but still. Interesting.

I post on FB far less than I used to.

Guys, let's not get into this. We've done a great job so far not devolving into liberal vs. conservative, and I don't think it's worth it to sacrifice that just to have an argument.

Brick, if you're wondering why I'm saying this after you asked for sources, it's because sources don't mean anything in political debates. I'm sure your intentions are good, and normally I'd be completely in favor of sourcing stuff, but let's just... Not have this argument. We could throw PolitiFact and Breitbart against each other all day long, but I think honestly everyone would rather just not do that. Or, if that sounds like a good time to you, maybe take it to private messages. Does it make sense where I am coming from?

Shouldn't have pulled it since we have non-Goons, but it's usually something someone responds to a large angry rant with regardless of anything just as a joke.

I read that Hillary Clinton worked a slime line at a cannery in Alaska back in the 1960s.

Maybe. 

http://www.adn.com/politics/2016/10/05/the-untold-story-of-hillary-clintons-1969-summer-in-alaska/

I mean the woman can't even tell an anecdote about processing fish without embellishing it into a lie.

Also, another person affiliated with the Clintons died under mysterious circumstances.

*Rushes to the Alex Jones/InfoWars Signal*

With that said, holy shit. I've heard about Haitians being ticked off that all the money in US donations meant to help the country is being siphoned off the Red Cross and other charities and not getting to the people who need it.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of donations that go overseas wether it is charity or foreign aid. 

I was a bit late with this, but Johnson's Wild Ride never ends.  I guess he at least could have answered this more poorly than he did though.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/gary-johnson-north-korea-229221

In the Times interview on Wednesday, Mr. Johnson conspicuously sought to avoid another misstep. Asked if he knew the name of North Korea’s leader, Mr. Johnson replied, “I do.”

“You want me to name” the person, he said, then paused, before adding dryly, “Really.” But he declined to supply the name.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/trump-says-hes-allowed-to-grab-women-by-the-p-y-because-hes-famous-in-leaked-2005-private-recording

Curious as to what the board thinks about this. I don't think the average Trump voter will give a shit. They will probably want to high five him.  Grabbing a married woman by the pussy because you are rich enough to get away with it is perfectly acceptable behavior to them.  Rob Ford syndrome writ large.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/trump-says-hes-allowed-to-grab-women-by-the-p-y-because-hes-famous-in-leaked-2005-private-recording

Curious as to what the board thinks about this. I don't think the average Trump voter will give a shit. They will probably want to high five him.  Grabbing a married woman by the pussy because you are rich enough to get away with it is perfectly acceptable behavior to them.  Rob Ford syndrome writ large.

Shit, that makes Trump sound like the next Bill Clinton.

Wait... Have things really gotten so bad that I find that thought comforting?

What happens is a rational weighing of facts comparing a candidate who made politically incorrect jokes in 2005 as part of his schtick while playing a celebrity 1980s-esque billionaire on TV and a candidate - who at almost the exact same time this was happening - bilked the citizens of Haiti out of billions of dollars of relief aid after the 2006 earthquake. 

It's an either-or choice.

What happens is a rational weighing of facts comparing a candidate who made politically incorrect jokes in 2005 as part of his schtick while playing a celebrity 1980s-esque billionaire on TV and a candidate - who at almost the exact same time this was happening - bilked the citizens of Haiti out of billions of dollars of relief aid after the 2006 earthquake. 

It's an either-or choice.

I disagree with that characterization very much. I think Trump is another rich asshole who thinks because he has power over women that he's entitled to stick his dick wherever he wants.  Looking at his marital history, the lawsuit coming up for child rape (http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/) and the video paints a pretty convincing picture to me of his attitude towards women.

I disagree with that characterization very much. I think Trump is another rich asshole who thinks because he has power over women that he's entitled to stick his dick wherever he wants.  Looking at his marital history, the lawsuit coming up for child rape (http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/) and the video paints a pretty convincing picture to me of his attitude towards women.

Fine. Trump is a rich, entitled, arrogant asshole. This has been a description of him that has been part of the American mainstream media for over 30 years now. I grant all of that for the sake of argument.

In the meantime, the only other choice for President was personally enriching herself by bilking charity money destined to build earthquake and hurricane proof housing in Haiti, an action that has now resulted in the loss of life of hundreds of poor Haitians.

That's the difference.

Edit: I guess the Haiti earthquake was in 2010. I thought it was 2006.

I don't give a shit because it has no relevance beyond an attempt at an October surprise.

And possibly to keep the Podesta emails out of the news cycle.