Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

Awww. Just when Ted Cruz was doing something awesome, they pulled this ad.

Wait. Why would they pull that ad? It's pretty good and fairly succinctly captures the mood of the GOP base regarding the betrayal they feel over politicians backsliding on their campaign promises.

It's because the blonde in the ad, Amy Lindsay, is - or was - and "adult actress".

http://www.fox4news.com/politics/89558800-story

Yeah, I'm not sure what the timetable is for a replacement and whether Obama can push something through, maybe even with a recess appointment or whether the GOP led Senate has the fortitude to fight the President over an appointment during an election year.

Justice Roberts when his was nominated in September, 2005 only took a couple weeks. Conversely Justice Clarence Thomas was nominated on July 1, 1991 and he wasn't confirmed until Oct. 25, 1991 after a media circus with the Anita Hill allegations. 

Also, the Supreme Court will be considering cases the next go round about abortion, union membership, race based quotas, and birth control. 

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2016/01/five-supreme-court-cases-to-watch-in-2016/

The name I here being thrown around as a possible replacement is Sri Srinivasan. He seems to be a moderate for the most part. I'm not convinced that the congressional republicans think they can possibly win the presidential election so they might as well take what they can get now before Clinton or Sanders appoints whoever they want. 

I'm trying to find a statement that has been released by Judiciary Chair Chuck Grassley that they just flashed on the news but it implied that there would be no confirmation hearings if he had anything to say about it.

Which leads one to wonder about a recess appointment.

Edit: Well, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell - who is generally regarded by conservatives as kind of squishy - came out and said there'll be no confirmation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitch-mcconnell-senate-should-wait-for-next-president-to-replace-antonin-scalia/

"The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice," the conservative leader said in a statement following the news of Scalia's death. "Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

Welp.  McConnell will be exposed as a total hypocrite if he tries to keep running with the “The American people‎ should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice, therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President."

He voted for Anthony Kennedy in '88.  Obama's people should be able to beat him with that like he was a pinata.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court-antonin-scalia_us_56bfcde2e4b08ffac1259285

I'm not certain that she can beat Sanders at this point. And the Email thing isn't going away short of the Administration making it go away.

Seeing how she got the same amount of delegates as Sanders did in NH I'm not convinced that Sanders chance. It looks like Clinton will get about 95% of all the Democratic "super-delegates" as of now. 

Whoa.  Did anyone watch the Republican debate tonight?

Did I read this right? Did Trump actually have the stones to call out Bush for the Iraq war?

Holy shit. Talk about going nuclear.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/02/14/trump-amplifies-personal-attacks-in-latest-gop-debate-analysis.html

I watched the debate. This whole moderator tactic of "JEB! Bush, tell us how much you hate Donald Trump and give us a good insult this time". Has grown stale.

Donald Trump is Donald Trump and who knows where this will end. But his (second?) question answered about Syria and the fact that we might have to just work with Putin and the Russkies to beat ISIS and end the civil war is probably the right response and the best one mentioned on the stage.

JEB! has been a sniveling cunt ever since it became apparent that he wasn't going to win this and he's been running a sleazy campaign attacking everyone since.

Yep. Trump attacked W and it is going to probably help him since a lot of conservatives - let alone independents and Dems - dislike him for a host of reasons from No Child Left Behind, the Wall Street Bailout to Iraq and the government's overreach in the War on Terror.

Trump also gets some points for calling out the fat cat donors hooting and booing in the debate audience.

With all that, I think John Kasich helped himself the most tonight.

Seeing how she got the same amount of delegates as Sanders did in NH I'm not convinced that Sanders chance. It looks like Clinton will get about 95% of all the Democratic "super-delegates" as of now. 

Oh to be sure. But I'm not sure how much longer that will continue. To me all of the excitement for the Dems with Sanders' who is mirroring the distrust for the Establishment on the Progressive/Liberal side. Obviously South Carolina and Super Tuesday will tell how much Bernie's popularity translates to Dems in the South where I'm not entirely sure why it is written in stone that Black voters must automatically cast their lot with a cranky, old white woman who is in the pockets of corporate donors. 

Maybe if she gets arrested and goes to jail after refusing arrest and getting roughed up?

But yeah, the DNC nomination process is kind of crooked with how much weight is given to party insiders.