Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

I think her career as SecState tells us she'll be much riskier in this regard than I'd be comfortable with.

It wasn't pretty, and I'd agree it would be riskier than Obama's policies. However, I don't think you can make the argument that this means that she'll start shooting Su-34s out of the sky willy-nilly. 

Assad is not in favor of a caliphate, that is one of the big differences. SA wants to expand outside of their borders, if not by taking territory -- by spreading ideology. This is why they publicly (basically) supported ISIL, Nusra and other such terrorist groups. Assad is not a nice guy, but he is not as sinister. I'd argue he'd be tame under Russian control regardless, too much to sacrifice if he is not. 

I think Russia has a good chance of uniting Syria, Iraq, and Iran. Maybe even Turkey if they are lucky. Saudi Arabia is a wildcard and always has been. 

You could not support either one, but oh well. 

Putin's feelings towards Clinton seems to be likewise. 

Apparently this dates back to the 2011 Russian elections. Clinton said they were rigged, Putin said they weren't and accused Clinton of spurring protests

Apparently this dates back to the 2011 Russian elections. Clinton said they were rigged, Putin said they weren't and accused Clinton of spurring protests

Makes sense. It's just repeating the same thing over and over. 

I think Russia has a good chance of uniting Syria, Iraq, and Iran. Maybe even Turkey if they are lucky. Saudi Arabia is a wildcard and always has been. 

Why unite when you can just annex, comrade?

I'm waiting for neither candidate being able to lock up the 270 electoral votes, both coming in at 269 and the whole shooting match getting kicked over to the House of Representatives. Whereupon Paul Ryan and enough #NEVERTRUMP congressweasels give the race to Hillary.

I'm waiting for neither candidate being able to lock up the 270 electoral votes, both coming in at 269 and the whole shooting match getting kicked over to the House of Representatives. Whereupon Paul Ryan and enough #NEVERTRUMP congressweasels give the race to Hillary.

UTAH WANTS TO BELIEVE!

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-evan-mcmullin-could-win-utah-and-the-presidency/

So, what does everyone think of the chances of substantial civil unrest if Hillary and the Dems sweep the election and take control of all three branches of government?

I think they're pretty high.

I think the chances are rather low, primarily because conservative and right wing groups tend to be more civil than unrestful, while low level mass violence tends to come from left wing and progressive groups. However, god help us all if right wingers see fit to actually practice civil unrest on a large scale, because that will most likely end up being a civil war.

Rioters tend to usually be impulsive people with no to few other preoccupations or social obligations. If we see right wing / conservative people rioting, that means that participating in social unrest is more important to them than things like there employment status, providing for a family, or maintaining a clean or cleanish criminal record.

I think the chances are rather low, primarily because conservative and right wing groups tend to be more civil than unrestful, while low level mass violence tends to come from left wing and progressive groups. However, god help us all if right wingers see fit to actually practice civil unrest on a large scale, because that will most likely end up being a civil war.

You don't think there's a significant risk of violence from right-wing groups if Hillary and the Democrats sweep the Presidency, House, and Senate, and appoint Democratic justices to the SCOTUS, and thereby take control of every facet of government for eight years and possibly deal the death blow to the Republican party and conservative movement as we know it?

I dunno, I don't really share your optimism.

I think that there are a very few people that will initiate violence, but those that are inclined to violence will be much more motivated to act. This itself may not be enough to spark civil unrest and mass violence, but I can see several scenarios that could provide the necessary conditions for unrest to occur. Firstly, if these acts of violence occur with enough frequency and or intensity, it will bolster the motivation of some of the more reserved individuals. This may result in a positive feedback loop and escalation until a critical mass is reached. Secondly, there could be an event of an unprecedented nature that severely and negatively impacts the quality of life, or even the continuation of the everyday activities of enough people that they see fit to take action to rectify the cause of their discomfort.

Either way, if these is violent demonstrations from the right, I think it will be a level of violence that this country has never seen before.