Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

The fact that he went against DOJ recommendations and went ahead and sent the memo anyway?  

I'm trying really hard to filter for my own bias, but when you have Janine Pirro calling you out, there just might be an issue...

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/10/30/judge-jeanine-pirro-opening-statement-jim-comey-announcement-fbi-hillary-clinton-disgrace

Yeah... I just quoted FOX. I feel dirty. :P

Now, I'll turn around and say if there is anything significantly new in the e-mails, it is worth looking at and discussing.   But they just freaking got the warrant, and there are apparently enough emails that it is going to take weeks to go through them. 

On the whole, IMHO, this email thing makes either the NSA or your Congress look totally fucking incompetent when it comes to information security.  I think that is a take away that no one is really talking about. 

I have no idea who Janine Pirro is or why I should care what the hell she thinks.

So basically, you have no reason to believe Comey had partisan motivations for his actions, other than that the actions he took negatively affect Clinton. I remain unconvinced.

Janine Piro is a major Trump supporter on Faux News.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanine_Pirro

It could just be that Pirro is either a) personally biased against such an action as she seems to think that the same sorta deal costed her an election or B) she's pretty dumb. 

I'll go with both. 

Random thought... 

The fear level for this election is off the charts, on both sides.  The level of consequence that this election has is way beyond normal levels.

FB anecdotes do not equal evidence.  But still...

On FB, this election season from my friends list I have seen the following:

A former Lt. Col. of the US Army thinking that he will be killed if Hillary wins. He has to have lots of guns so he doesn't go quietly.

Several people semi-seriously asking me if they can crash at my place if they have to run here if Trump is elected and things go south.

One of the things that saddens me the most is that both sides have so little faith in the process.  I'm Canadian. So I guess I'm speaking from a place of privilege on this.  I have the highest level of confidence in the Canadian electoral process. Gerrymandering, vote suppression, etc are just not issues here.

Random thought... 

The fear level for this election is off the charts, on both sides.  The level of consequence that this election has is way beyond normal levels.

FB anecdotes do not equal evidence.  But still...

On FB, this election season from my friends list I have seen the following:

A former Lt. Col. of the US Army thinking that he will be killed if Hillary wins. He has to have lots of guns so he doesn't go quietly.

Several people semi-seriously asking me if they can crash at my place if they have to run here if Trump is elected and things go south.

One of the things that saddens me the most is that both sides have so little faith in the process.  I'm Canadian. So I guess I'm speaking from a place of privilege on this.  I have the highest level of confidence in the Canadian electoral process. Gerrymandering, vote suppression, etc are just not issues here.

I honestly think people don't have faith in themselves. You know how if you had doubts about yourself, you would just shit-talk your co-workers, friends, acquaintances, other kids at school, etc.? Well, now we have this media that's accessible to anyone 100% of the day and leads people to believe that they're now part of the system. Now people who barely scraped by with a high school education or even less genuinely believe that they are smarter than any "expert" politician, scientist, military personnel, etc. and can beat their chests about it to other average yokels who then keep up the momentum. There's even a term that describes the trend: The Law of Group Polarization. This is the idea that any people of a like-minded group who spend enough time in the same chamber will eventually escalate their narratives and shut anything else out. It's a part of the human condition, whether the bonds are formed over identity, politics, ideas, or other factors. Hell, we see it with Wehraboos and Commieboos. 

(I was mostly reminded of it because I finally watched The Mist recently it's a pretty good movie)

Americans need to re-learn the concept of "I don't know." Try to ask what someone's opinion is on something that you're positive they have no information on. Regardless of having any correct or even any amount of information on the subject, odds are that they'll take a position that they won't move on depending on how well you argue for them, or how persuasive any information you supplement your argue with is. Depending on how stubborn they are, they will not move from that position and absorb or make up any information that they can because they've formed too much of an identity around that idea that can be proved wrong so easily, and can jump onto the internet to find like-minded people to support them and feed into that cascade. All because they couldn't admit to "I don't know."

(full disclosure, I'm still guilty of it and hate when I catch myself doing it)

I honestly think people don't have faith in themselves. You know how if you had doubts about yourself, you would just shit-talk your co-workers, friends, acquaintances, other kids at school, etc.? Well, now we have this media that's accessible to anyone 100% of the day and leads people to believe that they're now part of the system. Now people who barely scraped by with a high school education or even less genuinely believe that they are smarter than any "expert" politician, scientist, military personnel, etc. and can beat their chests about it to other average yokels who then keep up the momentum. There's even a term that describes the trend: The Law of Group Polarization. This is the idea that any people of a like-minded group who spend enough time in the same chamber will eventually escalate their narratives and shut anything else out. It's a part of the human condition, whether the bonds are formed over identity, politics, ideas, or other factors. Hell, we see it with Wehraboos and Commieboos. 

Yep. Tribe-based conflict is so heavily mapped in our brains that we will delineate group lines and fight along them even if there are no actual resources we are fighting over.

(I was mostly reminded of it because I finally watched The Mist recently it's a pretty good movie)

The Mist is indeed a good movie.

Americans need to re-learn the concept of "I don't know." Try to ask what someone's opinion is on something that you're positive they have no information on. Regardless of having any correct or even any amount of information on the subject, odds are that they'll take a position that they won't move on depending on how well you argue for them, or how persuasive any information you supplement your argue with is. Depending on how stubborn they are, they will not move from that position and absorb or make up any information that they can because they've formed too much of an identity around that idea that can be proved wrong so easily, and can jump onto the internet to find like-minded people to support them and feed into that cascade. All because they couldn't admit to "I don't know."

(full disclosure, I'm still guilty of it and hate when I catch myself doing it)

This is incompatible with democracy, and one of the primary reasons why I am not a fan.

Seriously... I'm kinda way overtired and stoned.  But after watching that I went looking for videos of Trey.  He is one hell of a speaker. 

He can really lay it down, and pulls no punches. I assume you have seen his initial questioning of director Comey already. That is one of my favorites.

The fact that he went against DOJ recommendations and went ahead and sent the memo anyway?  

I'm trying really hard to filter for my own bias, but when you have Janine Pirro calling you out, there just might be an issue...

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/10/30/judge-jeanine-pirro-opening-statement-jim-comey-announcement-fbi-hillary-clinton-disgrace

Yeah... I just quoted FOX. I feel dirty. :P

Now, I'll turn around and say if there is anything significantly new in the e-mails, it is worth looking at and discussing.   But they just freaking got the warrant, and there are apparently enough emails that it is going to take weeks to go through them. 

On the whole, IMHO, this email thing makes either the NSA or your Congress look totally fucking incompetent when it comes to information security.  I think that is a take away that no one is really talking about. 

You do know that other than Hannity, Justice with Jeanine and Lou Dobbs, Bela, that Fox News has been decidedly #NEVERTRUMP since he got in the race.

Don't really care who exactly FAUX is shilling for.  Same thing with KOS.  There is a point where you get so obviously partisan in your viewpoint that it isn't worth subjecting your brain to the damage.  It's like going back to the WoT forums.  I'm just not subjecting my brain to that level of cancer voluntarily anymore.

Understood. Fox News sucks. I mean really bad. I just wanted it noted that it doesn't suck because it is "pro-Trump" though since Fox has been pretty anti-Donald.

As much as I am anti-Donald, I like my information sources to be at least semi-convincingly faking being unbiased. One way or the other.  Or to put it this way, I don't want to be embarrassed to cite it as a source in a real argument.  Anything that Fox posts, I would triple check before I even thought about citing it.  Same goes for Daily KOS and a few other left wing sites that like to get spread around FB.   I spent some time today on FB smacking people who should know better across the back of the head for spreading left wing shite that was unsubstantiated.