Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

On 2/15/2017 at 6:01 PM, Damian said:

It does not matter where the tank is hit, if the projectile gets inside, if there is no ammo inside crew compartment, there is no ignition of ammo, and crew members are only injured but alive in worst case scenario.

In case of direct hit in to ammo storage, well ammo storage blows up, but again crew is safe, and probably tank can be repaired.

Now let's take a tank with ammo storage in crew compartment that is not isolated, if the crew compartment is penetrated by the projectile, there is a big chance of catastrophic ammo cook off, and crew death.

So in all cases, isolated ammo storage is better, as it increases survivability of both the crew and the tank.

And honestly only a fool believes that armor will always protect him.

26.1.jpg

Another example, destroyed Merkava Mk2, with the catastrophic ammo cook off, when primary ammo storage was hit.

R0WSuuk.jpg

Another two catastrophic ammo cook offs.

There's no hard confirmation yet as to what exactly happened to the Leopards. While it is evident that at least one suffered ammo detonation at the hull, causing catastrophic kill, it may not have been caused immediately in combat. I do however think that its ammo storage is flawed.

And that Merkava 2 pic... bro... an IED hit. When several hundred kilograms of explosives detonate below you, and don't turn a tank to dust, give me a call. 

19 hours ago, Donward said:

A good friend of mine's M1 got hit by the turret of another M1 that was ripped out of its mount by the Incredible Hulk.

Abrams is worst tank in the world. 

Why is the GOVERNMENT sending our boys into battle without the weapons needed to win the fight?

Actually those are chieftains, finally we have solid proof that non-isolated ammo is a death trap!

M1A1%20SA%20tank.jpg.scale.LARGE.jpg

I heard that US Army felt M1A1 (before M1A1HA) didn't have enough protection against Russian new tanks in 1980s, so they welded 80mm RHA plate to M1A1's hull and turret front. But I hardy see any picture of it.

So, is this the 1980s upgrade welded plate ? and why they kept so ancient stuff on a M1A2 tank?

28 minutes ago, U-47 said:

I heard that US Army felt M1A1 (before M1A1HA) didn't have enough protection against Russian new tanks in 1980s, so they welded 80mm RHA plate to M1A1's hull and turret front. But I hardy see any picture of it.

So, is this the 1980s upgrade welded plate ? and why they kept so ancient stuff on a M1A2 tank?

I think those are just weight simulators for certain upgrades. I've never seen anything like that before unless it was just a weight simulator. Like the M1E1.

13 hours ago, U-47 said:

Where did you hear this, out of curiosity?

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have high-res blueprints/schematics of the M1A2? (preferably with TUSK v2) I recently started learning 3ds Max and I thought the Abrams might be a nice little guinea pig for my modeling experiments, since the tank has a lot of angles (I seem to have bad luck with curves and all that, so T-series are out of the picture for now) and details that can be duplicated (like the M32 ARAT-2 array). It doesn't matter if it's official/unofficial or even from model kits, for as long as it can be used to build a "virtual studio".

Just so I'm clear, I'm looking for something like this, preferably high-res, not too grainy, and with all profiles at the same scale. Oh, and of course, it should be accurate.

JAygDNdm.jpg (click to expand)

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Sovngard said:

You mean M1A1 ?

According to many websites the first M1A2 was built in 1986, although it's not clear if they are talking about a prototype or not. The mass production happened somewhere between 1986 and 1992, if they are correct.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/abrams.htm

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/US/M1_Abrams.php

It was first produced in 1986, I don't know if it was "mass" produced by that time per say but yes the M1A2 first entered service in 1992.

It did have a "second generation armor package" installed on it, though I'm not sure at what point that happened in the design or production stages.

Just now, Khand-e said:

It was first produced in 1986, I don't know if it was "mass" produced per say but yes the M1A2 first entered service in 1992.

It did have a "second generation armor package" installed on it, though I'm not sure at what point that happened in the design or production stages.

What did have a "second generation armor package"? The 1986 prototype or the 1992 version? Isn't the "second generation armor package" is what's on the M1A1?

7 minutes ago, chebuRUSHka said:

What did have a "second generation armor package"? The 1986 prototype or the 1992 version? Isn't the "second generation armor package" is what's on the M1A1?

Memory serve only the M1A1HC variant got the same armor package that the M1A2 did, which came after the M1A1HA/HA+.