Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

7 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

What would be the point of that if the Trophy they're buying, and plan to integrate on all the Army's fleet, already has such a radar system? 

Sounds like they’re intended for different roles? Trophy for short-range threats, MTAS (if that’s what it is) for surveillance & target acquisition...seemingly. 

22 minutes ago, 2805662 said:

Sounds like they’re intended for different roles? Trophy for short-range threats, MTAS (if that’s what it is) for surveillance & target acquisition...seemingly. 

We don't know the max range of the EL/M-2133, but we do know it puts all existing ATGMs well within its surveillance range. A typical Kornet missile will have a range of 5km, while higher end missiles have a typical range of 8km. 

So if I were to guess, I would assume this is meant for foliage, where typical radars would have a hard time discriminating a target, or an air search radar to warn against artillery, UAVs, or helicopters.

At this point I'm fairly confident that it's a CREW antenna and the electronics were moved under armor. Especially since you can see the same thing on the (now called A4) Bradley, which also received a CREW as standard equipment. It would also make sense then if the black bar next to the drivers hatch on the SEPv3 was also a CREW antenna.

A707Dxd.jpg

16 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Mind explaining what a CREW antenna is?

(C)ounter (R)emote control improvised explosive device (E)lectronic (W)arfare/Duke, the IED jammer.

On a SEPv2 there is a box in right side of the bustle rack for the CREW/Duke that has a small pedestal for the antenna, which is similar in size to the meteorological sensor sticking up next to it.

IQKLe53.jpg

Anecdotally most of the time the box is/was empty. If a CREW/Duke is installed you will see one of those fat antennas.

H2nztXb.jpg

I prefer the Tri color woodland, but a solid olive is nice too, certainly better than desert tan. That tank looks like it's finally the tan sandblasted off too, so the green looks much better. If they did paint over the tan they did a much better job than the some other Abrams I've seen.

Also seems like the 2018 SETC starts tomorrow, anybody got any details on the participates this year? 

Just from some casual googling it looks like it's going to be Austria, America, UK, France, Sweden, German, Germany, Poland, and Ukraine. 

Edited by JNT11593
added info

1 hour ago, Karamazov said:

when the photo was taken?

An US tank type type 'M1A2 SEP' arrives for the friendship shooting of several nations during the exercise 'Strong Europe Tank Challenge 2017' at the exercise area in Grafenwoehr, near Eschenbach, southern Germany, on May 12, 2017. Platoons from NATO nations France, Germany, USA and their partners Austria and Ukraine take part in this exercise. / AFP PHOTO / Christof STACHE

On 5/27/2018 at 9:54 AM, Ramlaen said:

IQKLe53.jpg

Anecdotally most of the time the box is/was empty. 

Interestingly (well, to me) the CREW box power is supplied via a power adapter adjacent the cross-wind mast. That power adapter was first developed to meet the Australian requirement for a refrigerator.