Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

On 2/11/2019 at 3:15 PM, skylancer-3441 said:

And here is an article from International Defence Review on Bradley -
which was reprinted in 1982 in Volume 13 "Tracked armoured vehicles" (of The International Defence Review Special Series) - a compilation of articles which appeared in IDR in late 70s.BfBEOLc.jpg

Where can I read  the rest of this document ?

Speaking of relatively fast options - somewhere not online, I guess. Well, if we exclude option of buying on Ebay or somewhere else.

It seems to me that in English-speaking countries large public libraries definitely should have IDR issues of 1970s. In non-English-speaking countries one probably have to look at largest of public libraries, or some very specialized libraries.

For example for me personally it would require 500 mile trip to get to RSL aka Leninka (which is simply largest Russian public library) in Moscow.

Even though I got this on Google Books, it took me smth like half a dozen man-hours to get a single article, and then sometimes they are only partly available.

The thing is, in order to protect copyright and avoid been sued by publishers again, Google now by default puts everything on Google Books in that snippet view mode. One actually can ask them to review copyright status, to put any book in full view - which I did for about 400 other magazine issues and books over last 14 months - but in this particular case they would definitely deny such request. With recent news of books from 1923 going into Public Domain this January, this IDR's book could be put in full view somewhere in - what, 2078? 

Although judging by Popular Mechanics and Life magazines, sometimes Google makes a deal with publishers of some important magazines, in order to allow full view but not downloading (=no "download pdf" option. One still can, obviously, manually save all pages)  - of those magazines which are still not in Public Domain. But I have no idea whether anyone in - whoever is a copyright holder for IDR right now - would be interested in doing that, even if someone asks them. Anyway, I don't think they will listen me on historical importance of old issues of their magazines been freely available.

Alternatively one might hope that some day Internet Archive's scanning project would include IDR issues, and that they would become available under their "borrow" option.

Unfortunately currently they work on much smaller scale than Google did, and they do not use whichever scans are available at GoogleBooks and Hathitrust, and judging by what they usually endorse - defense and military oriented publications are definitely not their top priority, so this also seems rather far from now.

It's pity that even though people in different countries have scanned - unofficially - a whole bunch of different magazines from the past - IDR, Jane's Defense Weekly, Soldat und Technik, Military Technology and many others - are not among them. People obviously have different priorities - even those which definitely have access to such magazines and from time to time do upload articles from older issues, translated into Russian, to their blog

2 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Tons of articles about Stryker rollover problems. Just one example:

https://aviationweek.com/awin/army-taking-steps-solve-stryker-rollover-problem

The vehicle's center of gravity is higher compared to other vehicles in its class, this causes these issues.

>2004

>driver training issue

You can do better than that.

This is what I was thinking about. 

Both ballast are too much well integrated onto the turret. This is a little bit too much for a simple weight simulation. 

On the other hand, this new volume can help to have new sides cover to better integrate external options. 

Marines want vehicle mounted kamakazi drones. Although according to this article it could also be a missile (like Spike NLOS).

Organic Precision Fires-Mounted (OPF-M)

https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=6476baa4ac38ffcffcd4b689c1c166e1&tab=core&_cview=1

The Department of the Navy, United States Marine Corps seeks ideas and information regarding an Organic Precision Fires-Mounted (OPF-M) capability for potential contract for prototype efforts actions, which may include traditional Federal Acquisition Regulation based contracts, Other Transaction Authority opportunities, or both.

The Program Manager Fires (PM Fires), Portfolio Manager, Ground Combat Element Systems (PfM GCES), Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM), seeks industry input to help identify potential sources for an OPF-M system capable of attacking targets at ranges exceeding the ranges of weapons system currently in an organic infantry battalion: (7km) and up to 100 kilometers. PM Fires plans to develop future acquisition strategies that may include a Family of Systems or tiered capability identified by systems attributes and requirements. In the near-term, the PM Fires intends to conduct a limited Field User Evaluation using an OPF-M prototype to inform concepts of employment and capability requirements.

The OPF-M should have the following characteristics:

a. Ease of Command and Control (C2) during flight up to and including impact; 
b. Accept and integrate with Government-owned C2 systems and architectures;
c. Controllable from a common tablet (T) and the Target Handoff Systems v2 (O);
d. Able to loiter mid-flight while performing ISR / target recognition;
e. Able to perform Positive Identification (PI) or target identification;
f. Able to engage and attack a variety of targets, to include personnel, armored vehicles, and facilities;
g. Mountable on multiple Marine Corps vehicles using government-furnished or a specified mounting platform
h. Operable and storable in accordance with MIL-STD-810
i. Transportable via commercial air

PM Fires also seeks industry input regarding OPF-M payloads that may perform aerial reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition (RSTA) and perform communications retransmit requirements in order to achieve greater ranges. Small businesses and non-traditional defense contractors with only partial capabilities of this requirement are encouraged to submit their capabilities statement demonstrating the portion of the requirement they are capable of providing.

Vendors currently working with other Government organizations should identify those efforts as well as the Government Points of Contact information.

Any Government Agency that is performing similar or complementary efforts are encouraged to attend the Industry Day and share their insights with our project team.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:45 PM, Scolopax said:

AAV-P7A1 CATFAE (Catapult launched Fuel Air Explosives).  Troop carrying capabilities were exchanged for 21 fuel-air ordnance launchers for the purpose of clearing minefields and other obstacles during an amphibious assault.

1522149112_aavp7a1-catfae-4.jpg

Short range American TOS-1 "Flamethrower" anyone?

AchingMajorBlacknorwegianelkhound-max-1m