Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

5 hours ago, Rico said:

This doesn't have mean that they weight that much (real weight might be around ~66t) but a bridge that such a vehicle needs to cross needs to be built up for the number of tons that is written on the sign.

If M1A2C would weight 66 t then it will probably receive sign with No. 73 or 75 because 66 t = 73 short tons.

A US short ton is 2,000 pounds, which equals 907kg (~0.907 tonnes). I’m using the Australian military convention on tonnes to differentiate metric from non-metric units of measure, noting that a metric tonne isn’t a SI unit for 1,000kg. 

MLC 70 equates to 70 US short tons. 

70*0.907 = 63,490 kg = 63.5 tonnes.

MLC 81 = 73.47 tonnes. 

Some shots and footage of the Americans in Wartime Museum's EFV automotive test rig:

img%5D

fahTJIq.jpg

The water jets, etc. are replicas, presumably since this was an automotive test rig.

img%5D

The rear door was open this year; interior is likewise non-functional from a troop-carrying persepctive.

BgxFoMF.jpg

RkBZFIb.jpg

rfz9dgq.jpg

current plan is

-to upgrade 6 SBCT to DVH (currently 3) and then decide whether to upgrade the remaining 3

-modernize the ATGM Stryker to catch it up with TOW equipment in ABCT and IBCT

-upgrade the CROWS in all 9 SBCT to CROWS-J

-equip 3 more SBCT with 30mm guns (making 4) and then decide whether to upgrade the remaining 5

-a mobile howitzer for the SBCT

Edited by Ramlaen

43 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

-equip all 9 SBCT with CROWS-J

-equip 3 more SBCT with 30mm guns (making 4) and then decide whether to upgrade the remaining 5

Does this mean Stryker Dragoons will have *both* CROWS-J and 30mm guns, or just non-30mm variants in the same SBCT will get the -J?

7 hours ago, DogDodger said:

Is this what you're talking about? Not 100% legible but I think it's the closest I have. Taken at the Memorial Day event at Ft. Knox on 26 May 2007. Link to original: click

Hide contents

QPkQaBA.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Yes thank you! The side skirts on the M1A2 SEPv2 here at USMA intrigued me as the serial number begins with a U, wondering if this means anything. I though if older sideskirts lacked this U it might shown an update in the composite maybe, similar to turret serial number.

46 minutes ago, Jackvony said:

Yes thank you! The side skirts on the M1A2 SEPv2 here at USMA intrigued me as the serial number begins with a U, wondering if this means anything. I though if older sideskirts lacked this U it might shown an update in the composite maybe, similar to turret serial number.

IIRC, (Damian stated) that the U in a vehicles serial number indicated that it uses first or second generation DU inserts, or something along those lines. The source is questionable (I mean, Damian is fucking crazy), but seems logical. My memory is also a little hazy on the subject.