Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

5 hours ago, David Moyes said:

BAE to Get Green Light for $10 Billion Howitzer Project:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/bae-to-get-green-light-for-dollar10-billion-howitzer-project/ar-BBYxHIM?ocid=st

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Army Now Has Enough Upgraded Abrams Tanks To Equip An Entire Brigade:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/army-now-has-enough-upgraded-abrams-tanks-equip-entire-brigade-109656

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAE Raven:

bYukF2m.jpg

This Ronkainen fellow keeps posting old information.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:56 AM, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

can do KE reliably.

I saw performance data for the Diehl APS in 2015.  Could deal with KE 30mm and above.  25mm too small to reliably detect.  The 120mm gets bent or knocked off axis.  Still a mighty bang on impact but no penetration.  But - Diehl did a diehl :) with IMI and Iron Fist is the outcome.  The performance of that is very much less.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:41 PM, DIADES said:

I saw performance data for the Diehl APS in 2015.  Could deal with KE 30mm and above.  25mm too small to reliably detect.  The 120mm gets bent or knocked off axis.  Still a mighty bang on impact but no penetration.  But - Diehl did a diehl :) with IMI and Iron Fist is the outcome.  The performance of that is very much less.

Iron Fist is a result of earlier cooperation, don't think they had anything to do with each other by 2015.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/january_2020_global_defense_security_army_news_industry/general_dynamics_land_systems_releases_first_picture_of_new_mpf_combat_vehicle.html

The new “light tank” will have improved armor and a 120 mm main gun that looks like the Abrams’ 120mm cannon. 

Though it is rather 105 mm cannon on the prototype.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2020/01/16/army-takes-step-back-on-bradley-replacement-prototyping-effort/

Several sources confirmed a letter was circulating around Capitol Hill from GDLS to the Army secretary that strongly urged the service to continue with the program without delay.

Gee sure doesn't sound like something done to favor Raytheon/Rheinmetall after they failed to deliver a bid sample on time.

I would bet money if I had it, that the requirements list was in the recent DoD tradition; being simply absurd and couldn't be met reasonably - and everything else is saving face for that. You don't end up with a sole offer on a program of that size, unless you are demanding something goofy. Nobody even bothered (sure, the Lynx technically couldn't be shipped in time - but failure to ship in time is something that reeks of the bosses not treating it as a plausible thing) to bid outside of GDLS, and if Breaking Defense is right, GDLS couldn't even actually meet the monstrous spec list.

3 minutes ago, TokyoMorose said:

I would bet money if I had it, that the requirements list was in the recent DoD tradition; being simply absurd and couldn't be met reasonably - and everything else is saving face for that

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but googling around I found the draft RFP:

https://imlive.s3.amazonaws.com/Federal Government/ID229292510237748546949630439132667118527/DRAFT_NGCV-OMFV_RFP_(W56HZV-18-R-0174).pdf

10 minutes ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but googling around I found the draft RFP:

https://imlive.s3.amazonaws.com/Federal Government/ID229292510237748546949630439132667118527/DRAFT_NGCV-OMFV_RFP_(W56HZV-18-R-0174).pdf

That's just the contract legalese, actual vehicle requirements are tab 2 of attachment 0045, which I have not found.

7 hours ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

specific requirement

as I understand it - not a single requirement but the conflict between having to fly two in a C17 and a 360 degree protection level beyond laughable.  The Requirements aren't strictly the problem - the problem is the engineering and technology development to meet them had to be done in a stupid timeframe and also had to be mature....  DoD clearly a victim of salesmanship over engineering.

I have seen the docs but not sure if I have access to a copy.

10 hours ago, DIADES said:

as I understand it - not a single requirement but the conflict between having to fly two in a C17 and a 360 degree protection level beyond laughable.  The Requirements aren't strictly the problem - the problem is the engineering and technology development to meet them had to be done in a stupid timeframe and also had to be mature....  DoD clearly a victim of salesmanship over engineering.

I have seen the docs but not sure if I have access to a copy.

Hey, I guessed right - the absolutely stupid 360 degree protection requirement was what doomed the GCV as well (remember the baseline config was 60 something tons and the system max was 84?). The Puma is as good as you can get protection wise and fitting two on a C-17.

2 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

Anyone who actually knows wouldn't tell you.

Correct, well certainly shouldn't.  If you want to estimate it yourself, pretend you are a spotty teenager and go around the web copy paste every threat you can find (lint ballistic to 30mm) = OMFV threats to be defeated.  Specification development by window shopping.