Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Forum Improvements and Changelog

Collimatrix

Honestly no one even used chat that much after the first week or so anyway. Seems like a waste of time and effort to get something back that was dead in the first place to be perfectly honest.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:16 AM, Khand-e said:

Honestly no one even used chat that much after the first week or so anyway. Seems like a waste of time and effort to get something back that was dead in the first place to be perfectly honest.

Thanks for keeping it real.  If there's anything I'd like to avoid, it's change for change's sake that nobody actually wanted.

May 10, 2017

Some users have complained that they are getting security certificate warnings when trying to log into the site, or load the HTTPS version of the site.  If this is happening, please tell me either by posting here or shooting me a PM so I can forward it to our hosting.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

September 3, 2017

The forum has seen a relatively large number of new posters in the last two weeks or so, and I'm very pleased about that.  It has also underlined to me that I need to change a lot of things in order for this forum to comfortable support a larger active number of posters.

Changes to Members

The current permissions for members are extremely lax.  While nobody has been abusing these privileges, I am a strong believer in taking things away before they can be abused without any recourse or further justification.  Terror must be maintained.

To this end I have implemented search flood control.  Members may only use the search function every 15 seconds.  Guests (people who aren't signed in) may only search every 60 seconds.  Signatures may only have a maximum of 3 pictures which will be at maximum 1550x300 pixels.  NB; if you have three 1550x300 signature images, you are a jackoff.  If you have one signature image that's 1550x300 pixels tall, that's OK.  If you have three pictures that are 500x300, that is also OK.

I have also limited signatures to a maximum of five hyperlinks and five lines of length.

These are still very lax limitations by the standards of most internet forums.  Five lines, three pictures and five links is a goddamn Tolstoy novel by the standards of most places, and nobody was getting even close to these limits.  But the thing was, there simply were not any limits before, and I needed to change that before someone made the pages unloadable or accidentally DDOS'd the server by abusing that.

Member display name changes have also been limited to 2 times every 34 days.  There is no actual rationale behind this, I just felt like implementing an arbitrary restriction for no reason at all.

Changes to Nobility

I didn't change any of the privileges of the nobility because they are a cantankerous lot.  If you so much as insinuate that there might be a new rule against anime avatars, they'll all switch to goddamn anime avatars out of spite.  Obviously, I am above such behavior myself.

September 3, 2017

I have made a few further changes to the Members group and the New Members sidebar.

From now on, and Members with one post or more will automatically be promoted to the Contributing Members group.  The sidebar will now display the most recent Contributing Members.  The permissions between Members and New Members are identical.