Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Guardium with that kit was used in limited service in highly hostile areas, and as I understand also in airport security.

This one specifically was equipped with an HMG just to show you can properly activate it, so they didnt add a swivel mechanism on it. Just a feasibility test really.

The Guardium was since further developed and seems to have dropped that heavy armor kit, and recently was tested with an RCWS.

I think only the recent variants are in service.

The Israeli military industrial complex may face yet another major shift.

IAI and RAFAEL have held talks in the past over their merger, and may renew them now in a move that could serve as a counterweight to Elbit Systems.

RAFAEL has technologies for ground warfare such as passive, hybrid, and active armor, turrets, short to medium range air defenses, precision guided missiles and bombs for land and ground, air-air missiles, electro-optics, aerial and naval EW, and even hard-kill protection systems for aerial vehicles and submarines. It can also contribute in its space engine designs.

IAI dominates the radar sector, long range air defense to ABM (up to ICBM defense), effectively also dominates the naval sector including with anti-ship missiles, and most importantly composite structures for aircraft and the ability to conduct very deep overhauling for aircraft and even production if needed.

A merger would allow these firms to essentially tap into all markets in some way, and become a strong bloc that prevents Elbit from trying to compete locally in IAI's and RAFAEL's core technologies.

It could thus become better prepared for privatization if needed.

Considering Israel's size, it needs a leaner more effective industry, with 2 giants being enough.

As it stands, both RAFAEL, and IAI, being state-owned, are not very efficient as they have an overblown staff.

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-new-iai-ceo-mulls-merger-with-rafael-1001242790

On 6/20/2018 at 10:38 PM, Mighty_Zuk said:

Haven't heard any complaints so far. 

Considering how the Namer and Eitan (and the Merkava) are built intentionally with rear sponsons around the exit, I think they prefer the added safety to the troops (sponsons shield them from fire as they exit) over a slightly quicker dismount.

In fact, rear sponsons are of no use to protect section dismounting. 

Spz-Puma, Namer and Eitan (even the Griffon) are representative of the trend in armored combat vehicles design. To keep gross weight reasonable while improving crew protection, vehicles are now made with a survival crew cell surrounded by separated volume. Those volumes are now part of the protection concept. 

So, both Eitan’s rear boxes are permanent protection for the crew cell.

The straight rear ramp is a complementary advantage. With rear side boxes, it’s very hard to achieve a direct hit to the ramp. 

One can imagine himself with a weapon trying to sight the ramp and understand how close is the angle. 

You have other advantages :

- the hull is more rigid ;

- the ramp is lighter so the mechanism is more compact, easier to integrate...

- rear storage are larger. And storage volume is always an Achilles heel.

15 minutes ago, Serge said:

In fact, rear sponsons are of no use to protect section dismounting. 

Spz-Puma, Namer and Eitan (even the Griffon) are representative of the trend in armored combat vehicles design. To keep gross weight reasonable while improving crew protection, vehicles are now made with a survival crew cell surrounded by separated volume. Those volumes are now part of the protection concept. 

So, both Eitan’s rear boxes are permanent protection for the crew cell.

The straight rear ramp is a complementary advantage. With rear side boxes, it’s very hard to achieve a direct hit to the ramp. 

One can imagine himself with a weapon trying to sight the ramp and understand how close is the angle. 

You have other advantages :

- the hull is more rigid ;

- the ramp is lighter so the mechanism is more compact, easier to integrate...

- rear storage are larger. And storage volume is always an Achilles heel.

You're of course right on all points. What I meant is that if the vehicle is attacked from one side and the troops need to dismount quickly, they will stack up on the other side of the vehicle, opposite to the attack's direction, and the sponsons will guard their exits. At best, they may expose their legs while moving straight to the side of the vehicle.

A female tank crew has just finished the pilot program and demonstrated the women are indeed capable of manning tanks. Of course, they are not the first as there are countries where tank operation is already open to females.

Still, congrats to them. 

And to remind you guys of the aspect they probably don't want to talk about; They're there just to replace men in border patrol roles while the combat brigades are doing the fighting.

Overall they seem to be doing a good job. Uniform's kinda saggy on them, and the loading is kinda wompy, but otherwise all's good.

By the way, I've noticed there's some smoke coming inside the turret, and a dangerous looking bunch of sparks. I'm pretty sure this is not normal. Anyone with some insights care to comment on that?

13 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Now that's a really cool box:

The one sticking out on the right side from our perspective, in case you didn't notice.

30953955_194334171185917_489520077818612

Hi,

On two computers I tried, the photo is just blank. Please would you try downloading it again?

cheers

Marsh

3 minutes ago, 2805662 said:

Looking at the launchers themselves on Trophy - they seem have a shield (to protect the crew), a reloader, and a retractable armoured cover that covers the launcher. 

Is this correct?

That is correct, although the armored cover is rarely seen in retracted position as it is usually completely removed when the tank's not parked.

https://www.google.co.il/amp/s/m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Israel-gives-Jordan-an-IDF-Merkava-tank-for-a-museum-562330/amp

Jordan will receive a Merkava tank, probably Mark 1 as usual or at best a decommissioned early Mark 2.

Other than Jordan, there are now only 2 Merkava 1 tanks roaming free outside Israel. One in the Czech Republic, and another one travelling, being spotted at least in France and Russia.

This seems like a gesture of improving ties above all else. I believe 2-3 years ago Jordan took delivery of a squadron of AH-1Z Cobra helicopters free of charge.

1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Other than Jordan, there are now only 2 Merkava 1 tanks roaming free outside Israel. One in the Czech Republic, and another one travelling, being spotted at least in France and Russia.

This seems like a gesture of improving ties above all else. I believe 2-3 years ago Jordan took delivery of a squadron of AH-1Z Cobra helicopters free of charge.

The one in Munster doesn't count? Or is it because it's an Mk. I ( the black sign on the lfp reads "Merkava Mk. I" ) which received some of the Mk. II upgrades? FCS and some ITAR parts got removed but it should be able to move on own power as far as I know.
NgKL4WrHh6EUdOjyeFETEkTRCjzyeuo5NM8KdElr

7 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

https://www.google.co.il/amp/s/m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Israel-gives-Jordan-an-IDF-Merkava-tank-for-a-museum-562330/amp

Jordan will receive a Merkava tank, probably Mark 1 as usual or at best a decommissioned early Mark 2.

The Merkava 1, (updated with elements of a Merk 2) in France, isn't "travelling". It is on permanent display at the excellent French tank museum at Saumur, which I have had the pleasure of visiting.

cheers

Marsh

6 hours ago, Jägerlein said:

The one in Munster doesn't count? Or is it because it's an Mk. I ( the black sign on the lfp reads "Merkava Mk. I" ) which received some of the Mk. II upgrades? FCS and some ITAR parts got removed but it should be able to move on own power as far as I know.
NgKL4WrHh6EUdOjyeFETEkTRCjzyeuo5NM8KdElr

I could have sworn I heard of one at least visiting Kubinka, but I guess it hasn't really happened. But the German one kind of surprised me. 

First one I've seen abroad was in a Czech museum, and I haven't really followed the topic since then, until I was proven, same as here, that there was one in France as well. So Jordan gets the 4th one, unless someone wishes to tell me where the Mark 1 has also been.

2 hours ago, 2805662 said:

I believe they were AH-1S (single engine), not AH-1Z (twin engined, not operated by Israel).

Correct. Guess I pulled this out of an article with poor fact checking without doing a fact checking of my own.