8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Overall, quite beefy. And the side armor modules finally got their ERA inserts.

Which turret they're going to apply? the same one the namer has?

13 minutes ago, asaf said:

Which turret they're going apply? the same one as the namer?

Yep, it's designed for both these vehicles.

As a side note, it seems now the passive armor (3 layers, one before the ERA modules, and 2 sandwiched between the modules, with the outer-most being rather thick on its own).

With the ERA it's definitely surpassed STANAG 4569 level 6 (though I remind that Israel does not use that standard unless for marketing purposes), but is that sufficient to reach that level without the ERA?

1 hour ago, Toimisto said:

What books should i buy to get information on the pre-merkava days of the IDF and into the development of Merkava and Patton/Centurion upgrades? The 75mm French gunned Shermans and their performance and development are especially of interest.

Might want to ask @Marsh on that one.

Don't worry, he has been summoned.

Who dares summon the Marsh?  Oh, Hi Zuk!

Well there is very little in English. There is a wonderful book by Moshe Givati in Hebrew about the work of  Ordnance Repair and Upgrade facility 7100, from 1948-1996. Unfortunately, since I can't really understand Hebrew, all I can do is rock back and forth and lick the pictures .... If you can read Hebrew Toimisto, get this book.

In English Robert Manasherob has an excellent series of books covering the history and service of IDF tanks such as the Centurion etc. Michael Maas has an equally good series of books covering IDF armour, but they tend not to cover the historical development in as much detail, being more concerned with contemporary service. Still must buys though.

Not much else springs to mind.

Sorry

Marsh

http://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/34655

Elbit is now very close to finalizing the acquisition of IMI, for  $522 million. A funny thing to remember is that IMI has only recently been tasked with an over $500 million contract to supply long range rockets (Extra) and short range ballistic missiles (Predator Hawk) to the IDF, which means that Elbit doesn't really pay a dime for buying IMI, as it gets all the money back on that contract (of course the net revenue is not going to be all that money, but production costs will be offset by maintenance contracts).

What this means is that soon enough there will be a private company in Israel that is far more aggressive than IMI, RAFAEL, and IAI combined, and capable of marketing its own AFVs. So offering, say, the Namer, or Eitan, now become much more viable.

On 6/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, Marsh said:

Who dares summon the Marsh?  Oh, Hi Zuk!

Well there is very little in English. There is a wonderful book by Moshe Givati in Hebrew about the work of  Ordnance Repair and Upgrade facility 7100, from 1948-1996. Unfortunately, since I can't really understand Hebrew, all I can do is rock back and forth and lick the pictures .... If you can read Hebrew Toimisto, get this book.

In English Robert Manasherob has an excellent series of books covering the history and service of IDF tanks such as the Centurion etc. Michael Maas has an equally good series of books covering IDF armour, but they tend not to cover the historical development in as much detail, being more concerned with contemporary service. Still must buys though.

Not much else springs to mind.

Sorry

Marsh

Are you talking about Michael's modeling books, going in depth into visual details for enthusiasts? 

42 minutes ago, VPZ said:

Even though the Namer here is closer to the photographer, I think it's safe to say it's noticeably taller than a Merkava 4M.

On 6/18/2018 at 10:05 PM, 2805662 said:

Regarding Eitan: is there any feedback on how the one-soldier-wide exit is considered by the users?

Haven't heard any complaints so far. 

Considering how the Namer and Eitan (and the Merkava) are built intentionally with rear sponsons around the exit, I think they prefer the added safety to the troops (sponsons shield them from fire as they exit) over a slightly quicker dismount.

27 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Are you talking about Michael's modeling books, going in depth into visual details for enthusiasts? 

Yes, very good books in their own right, but not rich in historical detail. Still very worth buying, but not really what Toimisto is looking for. 

That was a bad angle so here's a better one:

• M270 with 122mm guided rockets called Romach.
  • Puma CEV (oddly they didn't show the Namer CEV which is already in service).
  • Eitan APC.
  • Merkava 4M MBT.
  • Namer IFV w/30mm.
  • Ofek APC.
  • D9 bulldozer.

98121629.jpg

The Namer is definitely taller than the Merkava, and the Eitan seems to be only slightly lower.

10 hours ago, MRose said:

Is the 30mm turret in production now?

Not as far as I know. 

It still requires testing with other components that were not confirmed to have been tested on the Namer and Eitan.

The Eitan and Merkava 4 Barack are scheduled to receive a system that displays a picture of the surrounding area on a helmet, and can interface with the turret's sights and weapon systems, by 2020-2021. 

So the Eitan's turret should be able to interface with it.

Tests of the helmet system, called IronVision by Elbit, were said to have been conducted for the first time in April 2017, but these were feasibility tests and no news were yet given on whether it matured enough for production or not, or whether it was even integrated on the Eitan. As far as I see, for now, it hasn't.

The Namer may also get that system, but again no signs of it happening yet.

I assume the turret will enter serial production by 2020-2021 when everything else is ready and together with the Eitan.