Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

just ruski things

Akula_941

On 8/23/2017 at 5:46 PM, Akula_941 said:

orig150348_2839913_27303861.jpg

Army2017

and here we go again, i kind start to hope this fake AK-12 just die completely for good

According to my sources it performs better than the "real" AK-12, while being cheaper. I agree it's disappointing visually though.

Also EOTech lol.

On 2017/8/25 at 6:24 PM, Sturgeon said:

According to my sources it performs better than the "real" AK-12, while being cheaper. I agree it's disappointing visually though.

Also EOTech lol.

What kind of better performs? also does the new AK-12 cancel the burst firing mode entirely?

54 minutes ago, Akula_941 said:

What kind of better performs? also does the new AK-12 cancel the burst firing mode entirely?

Burst fire was sort of a short-lived fad, and I don't think that any AKs were ever mass produced with burst limiters.  It was just something that was offered if it would help sales.

30 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Burst fire was sort of a short-lived fad, and I don't think that any AKs were ever mass produced with burst limiters.  It was just something that was offered if it would help sales.

what about Bolt Catch? is the Bolt Catch mechanism from old AK-12 still available?

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

AFAIK the AK-12/400 has a four position selector with a 2 round burst mode.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'll give this thread a try:

So, here's what we know so far:

AM-17 and AMB-17 are supposed to be based on the old Dragunov MA design:

This design featured a steel "spine" that served as a contact point for the moving parts.  The weapon was made, otherwise, almost entirely of plastic.  This is a good design for cheap mass-manufacture, and should also eliminate some of the problems with other plastic receivers in rifles.  It is not clear if the AM-17 supersedes the reborn Dragunov MA that was first shown about a year ago:

9mHlx5W.png

SVCh is apparently also based (at least loosely) on the old Dragunov MA design, but it is apparently not the same thing as the SVK that was shown earlier (Max Popenker has also said this).

PL-15K looks like it might be striker-fired, and at least one brochure described the design as being optionally striker-fired.  The original PL-14 prototype was clearly hammer fired with an internal hammer:

0wrtkje.jpg

(#3 is the hammer)

The original arrangement, with the internal hammer, is better in my opinion than a Glock-style striker.  Strikers have two main advantages over hammers.  The first advantage is that they allow a lower bore axis.  The second advantage is that they are cheaper to make.  The PL-14 design solved the first problem, and the PL-14 clearly had a bore axis just as low as any striker-fired gun.  It seems unlikely that they were also able to make it just as cheap as a striker, but the price different is small in any case.

Hammers have a number of small advantages over strikers.  Hammers generally have greater spring energy and will reliably ignite ammunition with hard primers that strikers will not.  Additionally, Glock-style strikers are pushing against the frame in the opposite direction of the return spring when the slide is in battery.

MP-444 is described as striker-fired, but appears to have a hammer.  Did the rep mis-speak?  Otherwise, it looks very generic.  The big, square breech section of the barrel suggests that it is yet another tilting-barrel, short-recoil design that locks the slide and barrel together at the ejection port.

It appears that Kalashnikov Concern hired a product designer to improve the appearance of their products.  They do look much better now (the AM-17 in particular), but they also look very generic.