Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

DRDO; India's Porsche

Bronezhilet

• 1 month later...

This thing makes the Brazilian Nuclear submarine development looks easy and smooth by comparison.

But what baffles me the most is not that this is a bad vehicle, but that Indians themselves defend it. Why? Why defend something you know is shit, bad for the country you say you love? Every nation has made some POS equipment before, but to defend it because muh national pride is ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...

If they’re still considering the Sprut, locally producing the BMP-3 and/or BMD-4 might be an option*. Both BMP and BMD are decent IFV’s, more mature and would probably be better vehicles than any of India’s in-house designs. 

*Quality control would probably be... lacking. 

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

BMP-3 Dragoon in particular wouldn't be a bad choice. The 100mm ATGM compatible gun would also help bolster antitank capabilities in mountainous regions or those with less developed infrastructure. 

But Indian procurement being what it is, expect the most reasonable option to be the last one they consider.

Also, posters on India Defence claim that the RFI is for domestic companies only, so I suppose we can check back in 20 years to see how that's going.

19 hours ago, ADC411 said:

BMP-3 Dragoon in particular wouldn't be a bad choice. The 100mm ATGM compatible gun would also help bolster antitank capabilities in mountainous regions or those with less developed infrastructure.

IMHO the 100 mm gun would be especially helpful against fixed fortifications and buildings in the hard mountain terrain where most of Indias troubles happen. With some variant of BMP-3 there is little need for a light tank (if own MBTs can't go there, the opponent's ones can't most likely too and for the rest the 100 mm gun/GLATGM is enough). 

19 hours ago, ADC411 said:

But Indian procurement being what it is, expect the most reasonable option to be the last one they consider.

Oh I know it’s highly unlikely they will make a sensible option, but it is important to give a suggestion that is on-the-mark so as to gauge how far off-the-mark they choose to go. 

14 minutes ago, Beer said:

IMHO the 100 mm gun would be especially helpful against fixed fortifications and buildings in the hard mountain terrain where most of Indias troubles happen. With some variant of BMP-3 there is little need for a light tank (if own MBTs can't go there, the opponent's ones can't most likely too and for the rest the 100 mm gun/GLATGM is enough). 

Not only, the lightweight and amphibious nature of the BMP-3 would also be a benefit when crossing rivers and poorly constructed bridges/ roads. Sprut or Dragun 125 might still be a good choice, considering China does have that Type / ZTQ-15 (or whatever it’s called), which it would most definitely see in the mountains. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Serge said:

T-15 is heavy IFV, it can't replace MBTs, neither there are tanks designed using T-15 layout.

23 hours ago, Serge said:

My bad, I was considering the T14 MBT of course.  

I'm not sure that Indians are that much interested in T-14. At least engine and gearbox are not going to be locally produced for some time, probably same with ammo.

They might be more keen on T-90M version. At least it will be cheaper overall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...