Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

I think. Spotted hyena females are also just bigger in general, but the purpose of their dingly dangly diddly dongly doodly diggly dong bits is to assert dominance by putting them into poopers, so I suppose it would make sense for them to be exaggerated proportionally.

The Vikings have actually hung out a lot in the Middle East over the years. The Varangian guard was composed mostly of Scandis, one of whom left runic graffiti in the Hagia Sophia. Crichton's Eaters of the Dead is based vaguely on an actual account by an Arab who ended up running into some Rus in what I understand to be Bulgaria.

The Vikings have actually hung out a lot in the Middle East over the years. The Varangian guard was composed mostly of Scandis, one of whom left runic graffiti in the Hagia Sophia. Crichton's Eaters of the Dead is based vaguely on an actual account by an Arab who ended up running into some Rus in what I understand to be Bulgaria.

You should read John Ringo's Keldera series. :P

#OhJohnRingoNo!

You should read John Ringo's Keldera series. :P

#OhJohnRingoNo!

Pros: references to Varangian Guard

Cons: Shit writing

Weird sex

Weird sex involving rape

Weird sex involving underaged people

Weird sex involving rape and underaged people

Weird sex involving rape, underaged people, and shitty writing

Ignorance of basic military matters

Ignorance of plausibility

Complete lack of any editing

Shit writing

Pros: references to Varangian Guard

Cons: Shit writing

Weird sex

Weird sex involving rape

Weird sex involving underaged people

Weird sex involving rape and underaged people

Weird sex involving rape, underaged people, and shitty writing

Ignorance of basic military matters

Ignorance of plausibility

Complete lack of any editing

Shit writing

But still amusing as fuck when Ghost gets nominated as Romance of the Year.

John Ringo has admitted that Ghost was basically mental masturbation.  But he's enough of a whore to be willing to sell it when his publisher is willing to buy it.  His reaction was basically.,.. "WTF? You want to read this shit?.... Wellllll, I'm super embarassed, but what the helll....Money is money." 

Edit:  I could prolly do a more detailed breakdown of how Ghost got published for you next time we're on TS at the same time.  I watched the process over FB and over at Bean's Bar.

But still amusing as fuck when Ghost gets nominated as Romance of the Year.

#Betterlovestorythan50shades

(I don't think it actually is, it's a bus ride to hell, and I've got a real feeling about some of that stuff being him putting way too much of himself into the main character (and by proxy into other characters)).

Does the Meredith effect produce significant thrust or is it just min-maxing?

It's there to offset the drag of the big, boxy radiator, but even that is a big deal.  At low speed the Meredith Effect would produce negligible thrust, but at high speed I've seen estimates that the P-51's radiator actually produces slight net thrust, or comes very close to cancelling out its own drag.

So it only does anything at high speed, which is not surprising because it's basically a ramjet, and ramjets only sorta work at the sorts of speeds where propellers stop working at all.

But again, the radiator cancelling out its own drag at high speeds is a pretty big deal, since drag force increases more or less with the square of airspeed.  On top of that, taking advantage of the Meredith Effect the radiator does not need any more moving parts, so it's basically free thrust.