Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

Bud, having a basic grasp of mechanical functions is (well was) near a detriment in one's credibility.

You bring in things like "engagement area" and "rate of burn" and you are likely to be burned as a witch.

But he's a Male! wouldn't he instead be crucified and whipped repeatedly as a Warlock instead?

Bud, having a basic grasp of mechanical functions is (well was) near a detriment in one's credibility.

You bring in things like "engagement area" and "rate of burn" and you are likely to be burned as a witch.

If I had ten dollars for every time somebody told me I had lost all credibility, I'd have enough money to go shooting every day for a month.

But he's a Male! wouldn't he instead be crucified and whipped repeatedly as a Warlock instead?

Yeah, Meplat, that's how the Patriarchy works, get with the program!

• 2 weeks later...

I learned that I have visual snow. After so many years trying to find out why I see static, it feels relieving to be honest.

I learned that I have a recurrent corneal erosion. I also learned that a go-to treatment for it is a viable way to treat my eyes not actually being very good at focusing light (PRK), so that's nice.

For those who don't know what recurrent corneal erosion is, it's when the cornea and epithelium don't stick together as well as they should so when your eyes get dry in the morning the epithelium might just decide it likes the eyelid more and suddenly all the nerves at that attachment suddenly get exposed. I've got a real good idea why you get pain pills when they open the eye up there for surgery.

Today I learned that Igor Stravinsky did his own arraignment of the Star Spangled Banner during WWII, and for reasons that can only be considered retarded, the Boston police warned him that it was illegal to tamper with the national anthem.  

"After the first performance, the audience was apparently shocked by what they considered to be an unconventional harmonization. The Boston Police, misinterpreting a Federal law prohibiting “tampering” with the National Anthem, told Stravinsky that he had to remove his arrangement from the remaining programs. Reluctantly, he conceded."

Considering all the horrendous renditions that the national anthem has had to endure at sporting events, it seems rather ridiculous that Stravinsky should have been subjected to such scrutiny.  Actually, I really rather like his version.

Today I learned 18th century Chinese needed to work on their tiger drawing skills;

zPq5eJv.png

(larger picture = http://i.imgur.com/qYX0VO9.png = from Album of the Yongzheng Emperor in Costumes)

The paper I found it in - Kleutghen, Kristina. "Chinese Occidenterie:The Diversity of "Western" Objects in Eighteenth-Century China." Eighteenth-Century Studies 47.2 (2014): 117-35. Project Muse. - was actually very interesting and dealt with there being a similar "Occidentalist" craze in Chinese court culture as there was an "Orientalist" fixation in Europe, with interest in Western modes of painting and clothing, import of Western "curious things" ie. goods like mirrors, glass working, clock making, enamel working, spectacle manufacturing, tabletop amusements such as miniature perspective theaters, and the establishment of manufactories for their domestic production. Its fascinating that a similar phenomena occurred in China as in Europe, for an admittedly brief period of time, given that previously only Orientalism was explored and the Chinese are perceived as having rejected European goods as inferior - which they were in most cases, there was a reason why the only thing that sold was opium. But that tiger drawing was hilarious. 

How much damage would one torpedo do against an Iowa class ship?

Odds are that one torpedo against an Iowa would have damaged her range and speed more than her chances of staying afloat. I'm not sure how well her shafts were protected, there's always the chance of a hit like PoW took, but other than that modern battleships usually did pretty well against contemporary torpedoes. US carriers that had a TDS (Jesus fucking christ, Wasp) usually did pretty well, I bet the UK ones would have done fine, since it seems the Japanese problems were poor ventilation and avgas storage that was pretty weak against shocks, and that's particular to their ships.

As an example, the North Carolina ate a torp from the spread that killed Wasp just forward of the number 1 turret. That wasn't really back far enough to catch the TDS full on, but her list was righted quickly and she was able to maintain formation at 26 kn. On the other hand, the Kongo ate two torps from the Sealion, flooded two of her boiler rooms, and caused progressive flooding (going fast enough to keep the sub from a follow on shot caused wave action to hammer away at her now exposed insides) that eventually caused her to list and be obviously sinking when she exploded.

TIL United 232 wasn't the first time a DC-10 was flown using engine power as controls; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_96

Although in this case, part of the flight controls were working, which some people might say was cheating. At least this time the Death Cruiser 10 failed to live up to its name.

• 2 weeks later...

Odds are that one torpedo against an Iowa would have damaged her range and speed more than her chances of staying afloat. I'm not sure how well her shafts were protected, there's always the chance of a hit like PoW took, but other than that modern battleships usually did pretty well against contemporary torpedoes. US carriers that had a TDS (Jesus fucking christ, Wasp) usually did pretty well, I bet the UK ones would have done fine, since it seems the Japanese problems were poor ventilation and avgas storage that was pretty weak against shocks, and that's particular to their ships.

As an example, the North Carolina ate a torp from the spread that killed Wasp just forward of the number 1 turret. That wasn't really back far enough to catch the TDS full on, but her list was righted quickly and she was able to maintain formation at 26 kn. On the other hand, the Kongo ate two torps from the Sealion, flooded two of her boiler rooms, and caused progressive flooding (going fast enough to keep the sub from a follow on shot caused wave action to hammer away at her now exposed insides) that eventually caused her to list and be obviously sinking when she exploded.

Also, would the torpedo have even gone off? Or did the torps destroyers used not have the same detonator problems?