Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

5 hours ago, Meplat said:

(I can still lift absurd amounts, even with half a bicep on my left arm,and outwork the swarm of 19 year olds here.  Growing up heating with wood, I choose you!).

I really feel like I'm gonna be the last man in America who grew up chopping wood for the stove.

I mean, I know I'm not, but I feel like that. 

On 8/23/2017 at 11:23 PM, Sturgeon said:

I really feel like I'm gonna be the last man in America who grew up chopping wood for the stove.

I mean, I know I'm not, but I feel like that. 

I still have hatchets and axes I can shave with. And chainsaws? Most of mine, or the ones I work on are at most, two pulls.

I used to have a huge old Tecumseh (? ben a while) powered felling saw, that had a cast aluminum megaphone exhaust.  Had a bar almost four feet long.  It NEVER failed to start,and you could horse it as hard as you wanted into the Maple where I grew up, and it just got louder. 

One guy I knew tried to "bind it up" felling, and it had so much torque it dragged him hard into the trunk,and began eating clearance, as the whole three and some foot diameter maple tried to stall it. 

I was laughing as he then just fed it more throttle, and it was shitting blue flame from the stack as it macerated it'sway through the trunk.

Now I have a Stilh and Husquvarna, which are good, but I miss having a really obnoxious chainsaw. 

26 minutes ago, Donward said:

I get to scrounge old dock wood and use it to heat our cabin up in Alaska during fishing. There is a certain amount of satisfaction heating coffee and cooking breakfast from a fire that you built yourself out of wood you chopped.

Having lived in Arizona for so long (~30 years), I am discovering Hickory.

Hickory smoke in a warm house in midwinter is about as welcoming a smell as one could want. Other than some not mentionable in a polite forum...

24 minutes ago, Meplat said:

Having lived in Arizona for so long (~30 years), I am discovering Hickory.

Hickory smoke in a warm house in midwinter is about as welcoming a smell as one could want. Other than some not mentionable in a polite forum...

Out here we basically have softwoods (fir, pine, alder) so being able to use hardwood as a fuel is pretty handy in many ways I'd imagine. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 8 years in Portland Oregon (the actual capital don't listen to what those fuckers in that other place say Portland is the capital of Oregon and quite possibly the Western hemisphere, just ask any Portland native they'll tell you!)

I came to Utah and went 2 weeks before I even SAW a pothole. Not only that but (including my multiple trips out to the hinterlands, aka everywhere in Utah that's not the "Wasatch front") I have yet to drive on a road that hasn't been resurfaced in the last decade! 

Even in Portland (the real capital of Oregon) the roads etc they're proudest of at best get a once a decade refresh and meanwhile the city has actually decided that neighborhood street upkeep etc is not what property tax money should go to at all...

Going from Oregon to Utah has been as night and day different as when I used to cross back into Arizona after a week in Mexico.

If they got this matchup that wrong I have no faith in any of the others.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, Priory_of_Sion said:

DTGvUW_XkAImdIz.jpg:large

Interesting map showing road quality besides fucking up the upper peninsula. 

This isn't a fair assessment. 

It needs to be done via department of transportation districts. Each state has different, usually county based DOT programs that are either better or worse at maintenance due to a variety of factors both in and out of their control.

For example, Trinity county in Texas has better roads than Harrison county. 

Averages for an entire state can be misleading.

Source: my father worked for TXDOT for 27 years.