Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

1 minute ago, Lord_James said:

Actually no, I meant the Democrats. If that claim is true (and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was), I would personally find it humorous for its blatant hypocrisy. 

And I did just read about the Warren, Indian thing on the “democracy dies” thread: lol that’s rich. 

Elizabeth Warren confirmed the One Drop Rule when she still clings to her Native American heritage when she possibly had an ancestor 6-10 generations ago.

Meanwhile Nazi racial autism stopped at your grandparents; if you don't have a Jewish grandparent, you are considered German.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

A little birdy told you about it, I'm guessing.

If you are talking about Black Pigeon Speaks,

then actually no, I just saw the title and wondered what it was, so instead of watching his video, I actually looked it up. 

He is a bit too propagandistic for me. Though I have to say, the 1900s were really a interesting time. 

40 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

His videos are fucking hilarious IMO.

Indeed they are, I watch them once in awhile for the entertainment. 

23 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

Never watched BPS, are there any good videos for beginner viewers? 

Anyway, just finished reading through the wiki article on Count Coudenhove-Kalergi, and it’s interesting, completely unattainable, but still interesting. 

I feel most of his videos are of good quality,  so just pick some topic you find interesting. 

Though I would not call the Kalergi plan unattainable. I actually think it is a genius plan, in a psychopathic genocidal way. 

Ethnic groups a problem? Simple replace them with a mixed of new people that don't really identify with the nation. How not to start a race war? Simply make sure the recipient country has low birth rates and make sure the sender country has high birth rates, and don't do it too quickly, death by a thousand cuts. After 100 years, the natives are a minority or gone. Then form a new national image around the new state. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I learned that before  Senator Joe McCarthy became famous for his anti-communist campaign, he lobbied for the commutation of death sentences given to a group of Waffen SS soldiers convicted of war crimes for carrying out the 1944 Malmedy massacre of American prisoners of war. McCarthy was critical of the convictions because of allegations of torture during the interrogations that led to the German soldiers' confessions. He charged that the U.S. Army was engaged in a coverup of judicial misconduct, but never presented any evidence to support the accusation.  Shortly after this, a poll of the Senate press corps voted McCarthy "the worst U.S. senator" currently in office.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:42 PM, Mogensthegreat said:

TIL that average height in Europe is still lower today than it was in pre-Neolithic times.

https://ourworldindata.org/human-height#mesolithic-times-middle-ages-subsistence-societies-and-modern-foragers

Image result for average height over time

Farming is a hell of a drug.

Also, life was apparently pretty miserable in the bronze age, then actually got better around the collapse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today I learned just how low energy and sad steam locomotives were. High end locos with large superheaters ran up only around 220-300 psi pressure at best.

For comparison, the USN in WW2 was running almost 600 PSI in destroyers, and postwar reached 1200 PSI before deciding that steam power isn't worth it and that gas turbines are where it's at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Where are you from, again?

A majority of the US lies nearly on the same latitude as northern Africa. 

We also hate efficiency over here. I was spoiled by growing up in a house with subfloor heating. My parents Incorporated a lot of "green" features in that house, not because it was environmentally friendly, but because it saved a lot of money in the long run. That house is 27 years old, and it still meets efficiency standards for houses built in 2018.

Ah, the good old days when you did things such as recycling for the sake of saving money, as oppossed to this namby pamby mother gaia green peace hippy shit. Proof that capitalism will always be the superior system.

58 minutes ago, Xoon said:

gxf7vzR.jpg

I am from Norway, north-west Norway. 

The land of heated floors and salt. 

Norway is roughly the same latitude as northern Canada, and just four degrees south of the latitude of Alaska. 

So yeah. Heated floors make more sense there.

Where I grew up, it hit 110 F in the summers and had 50 percent humidity. And basements didn't exist because the water table was just a few meters below the ground. If not just a meter in some areas.

52 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Norway is roughly the same latitude as northern Canada, and just four degrees south of the latitude of Alaska. 

So yeah. Heated floors make more sense there.

Where I grew up, it hit 110 F in the summers and had 50 percent humidity. And basements didn't exist because the water table was just a few meters below the ground. If not just a meter in some areas.

I think the hottest summer we have had is 34 degrees C.  Heated floor is pretty standard here, pretty much all bathrooms, some washrooms, and in new houses, most floors. 

Though, I asked a friend in Ohio, and she had never heard about them. Isn't Ohio a tad bit colder?

7 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Ohio is 40 degrees latitude. Italy is 41 degrees in latitude. 

So it might have colder winter than the southern US, but it's not exactly a chilly place like Norway. 

I've heard of heated floors, but they only make sense in certain situations.

couldclimate.jpg

I was thinking in relation to this, the gulf stream is what keeps Norway from being a cold wasteland. Considering that Ohio is center north in the US, it should be a bit colder than, for example, Italy. 

But I see your point.

2 minutes ago, Donward said:

Given the price to retrofit in heated flooring - especially when water pipes are used - it doesn't really make sense.

Remove the flooring tiles, cut into shape the heating mats, add a power cord and heat sensor, and hook it up to a thermostat. Then re add the flooring. 

Not very expensive at all. 

Besides, who uses water borne floor heating outside of eco houses?