Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Worm Thread

Sturgeon

I am not sure how we have not had a thread for this yet, considering that several members of the Nobility are huge fans of this serial.

Worm is an epic* dark fantasy superhero web serial by "wildbow" (pseudonym for John McCrae), which follows the story of Taylor Hebert, a victim of bullying who manifests the lamest superpower: Bug control. The story has been finished since 2013, and totals nearly 1.7 million words. It was followed by Pact and Twig, which are in different universes and are also welcome topics in this thread, as well as Ward starting late last year, which is the sequel to Worm.

Worm is one of the greatest pieces of fantasy fiction ever written, both in scale and in the quality of writing. It is, in my opinion, the single best work of superhero fiction ever published, leading the rest by a very wide margin. So let's talk about it.

Starting off, I was recently introduced to We've Got Worm (WGW), which is a podcast discussing the serial (and Ward, as We've Got Ward). I have listened to about 15 minutes of it at this point, but I am told it's very good.

*Epic in the classical, rather than dudebro, meaning.

I dunno if it's the best work of metahuman/superhero/villan fiction ever, but it's damned close.  As someone who reads a lot, I've covered a lot of ground.  Skitter is an interesting case of watching command of powers grow and become damned near apocalyptic/godlike. Such a fucking amazing character.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since this thread got me to start reading Worm, and so far I'm enjoying it, I was wondering if some of you had read this one:

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

The prompt being, what if HP had been raised by a scientist?

Personally it's a kind of humour I like, so I though I might share (that if you didn't knew it already).

17 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

Since this thread got me to start reading Worm, and so far I'm enjoying it, I was wondering if some of you had read this one:

Personally it's a kind of humour I like, so I though I might share (that if you didn't knew it already).

@T___A, be triggered.

I think I actually found worm through MoR. I've read it a couple of times. It's OK if you're into that sort of thing, but holy shit Worm surpasses it on every conceivable level.

I do like that a lot of people think of Worm as a rationalist story... It's really, really not.

18 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

Also, glad we could expose you to Worm. it's one of the best pieces of fiction ever written.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...