Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Gun Control Megathread

Xoon

7 hours ago, Meplat said:

I'd rather see that for politicians and bureaucrats.

Maybe with an added shock-collar, and the remote(s) in the hands of their constituents.

This is the future.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

Ah, but who programs the AI? Because that person will be your king.

Another AI of course.

3 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Oh I agree. As this would also prep the next generation for a career in major league baseball. 

Which is undoubtedly safer than football.

You'd think that, but how many Palestinian baseball players came out of the Intifada protests on the West Bank and Gaza Strip?

• 2 weeks later...

A new look on studies conducted by the Centers of Disease Control regarding "Defensive Gun Use" by Americans.

After slogging through the explanations, the author contends that the number of times a gun is used in a self defense situation is quite high and roughly matches the numbers cited by pro-gun activists Namely that about 1 to 1.25 percent of gun owners claimed to use a gun in self defense (these numbers don't include police or self defense against animals btw) which translated to about 2 million Americans. 

The CDC studies took place in the mid-1990s and had pretty large sample sizes. And the author states the results were suppressed due to the political stance of the Clinton Administration. 

2 hours ago, Donward said:

A new look on studies conducted by the Centers of Disease Control regarding "Defensive Gun Use" by Americans.

After slogging through the explanations, the author contends that the number of times a gun is used in a self defense situation is quite high and roughly matches the numbers cited by pro-gun activists Namely that about 1 to 1.25 percent of gun owners claimed to use a gun in self defense (these numbers don't include police or self defense against animals btw) which translated to about 2 million Americans. 

The CDC studies took place in the mid-1990s and had pretty large sample sizes. And the author states the results were suppressed due to the political stance of the Clinton Administration. 

Old news to some of us, but it still needs repeating.

This is how figures are fudged to meet the narrative, with outliers (such as this study) being suppressed or obfuscated into obscurity.

20 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That does look kind of bad.

Governmental incompetence has been honed to a fine art in the English speaking world, it really has.....Either that or it really is all a conspiracy!  ;)

Honed to a fine art that is indistinguishable from conspiracy, at least to a casual glance.

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not entirely on topic, but close and it made me smile:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/25/customer-in-cowboy-hat-helps-thwart-armed-robbery-at-monterrey-butcher-shop.html

Score one for the good guys.  ;)

While amusing, the cowhands I knew would have "noped" then either shot the miscreant or broken his arm.

Personally, having had a gun pulled on me more than once, I would have said "really?" then walked out.

Last guy who pulled a piece on me is still in prison and probably still learning to write with his left hand. (Much boot was involved).

Really, work toward local PD's co-operating with citizens. Hire locally. Insist that officers KNOW the neighborhood and it's residents, and PAY  THEM.

Saves shit like the fuckbag I dealt with demaniding to see the registration on my  Colt AR.