Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Gun Control Megathread

Xoon

Off topic, but my favorite "American Tourist" story comes from a Belizian guide who I traded with to get some spearpoints. 

He said that the one thing Americans always did when he'd point out a plant or something was try to eat it. Every time. 

And even on the trip I took to one of the m=Mayan ruins with him, he picked some lemongrass and showed it to some tourists that were with us (I guess I was a tourist too technically) and they all tried to taste it. "It doesn't taste like lemon?" They exclaimed, and he just shook his head.

21 hours ago, Toxn said:

My experience of US tourists, for what it's worth, has pretty consistently been that they're friendly, outgoing, overweight and clueless.

That perfectly describes my buddy, who was the "pastor" at my wedding, who also toured Africa in his late 20s, post-college. Now he is married and much much fatter, and still progressiv- er I mean clueless. 

I'm trying to think it I know people whos would taste things, then I remembered, the wife of one of the families who pool we take care of,  had us out because they had a leak in the yard. They called us, because the husband tasted the water, from a flooded irrigation box, on his back lawn, where the dog shit, and said it was salty and tasted like pool water. The way the wife told the story, and the follow-up comment, of "I hope he gets sick!" Indicates she is not a taster. It wasn't pool water, just normal city water, there was a broken valve in the irrigation system. The pool is a very large infinity edge pool, that looks over, not a cliff, or into a forest, no it looks right at the back wall of the neighbor's house. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:42 PM, Meplat said:

Really bud, you're going to get all insulted over how a foreigner views your country, via your own press?

Dude, you guys always seem to quote from the shittiest sources imaginable.....It's like me confronting you with something that I read in the National Inquirer (or whatever the current equivalent is).  :rolleyes:

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:42 PM, Meplat said:

Welcome to "Being a U.S. Citizen".  You go overseas and everyone thinks you're either a baccy chawing yehaww redneck, or a vapid cali sun-bunny.

You mean you're not?  :o

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What bias?  I was fucking joking!  :lol:

Fuck me you lot are right touchy ever since you elected Trump.....Buyer's Remorse much?  :rolleyes:

Your post on the 19'th would suggest other. 

I would also suggest that "jokes work both ways", be cautious in their application.

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How does my post of the 19th imply a bias against anything other than shitpoasting? 

"What a puerile comment.....Are you somehow under the impression that the Express is the voice of the UK Government or Her Majesty's Opposition?"

(expressing that said commenter is beneath understanding of media in discussion)

I know your 'country' has been subject to rule by media for some time, but that's just not how it works in the civilised world.

(Inferring said country is somehow "beneath"  other nations or collectives)

Granted, this for me is an amusement at most, but if you did not see this coming, you were wearing blinders in the railroad tunnel.

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yeah I just re-read it.....See my edit above.

The latter bit was out of order.

Then LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS.

Nobody is out to flay your hide. 

That being said if you could find me a mint condition  Parker-Hale target sight for my No1MkIII I might be persuaded to forgive you.. (just kidding).

20 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I recently acquired a WWI issue British bayonet with an interesting story attached.....Too complex to explain in detail, suffice it to say that the real value of education is that you don't get sent to the front first!  ;)

But, is it a WEBLEY bayonet? (cause I have all kinds of other British bayonets. )

The United States ranks 56th per capita in rate of attacks, and 61st in mass public shooting murder rate... 

But mah narrative!!! 

For or those who don’t want to look at the NYP article, here’s their source, with lots of pretty pictures and graphs :3 

https://crimeresearch.org/2018/08/new-cprc-research-how-a-botched-study-fooled-the-world-about-the-u-s-share-of-mass-public-shootings-u-s-rate-is-lower-than-global-average/

17 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

For the left, yes.

For all sides.

I'm not including the folk in this (virtual) room, because frankly I don't think we represent the average level of debate going on*. But if that study had shown that the US was even worse than popularly claimed I doubt there would be many people from the gun ownership side of the debate changing sides.

*We're also fairly convergent on this issue, which shifts the tone significantly. Knowing that the person debating you doesn't want to expunge you allows you to at least contemplate the nuances of your ethnic identity marker. Which is essentially what the stance on gun ownership has become in the US.

9 hours ago, Volkswagen said:

Don't you think Norway gets a little unreasonable statistics for one really high victim count attack? I have also doubts on validity of the statistics in areas where it is basically war during those years. Could be interesting to see what that map would look like if it was 1998-2018.

No, because Lott is counting shooters, not casualties:

NY-Times-Lankford-vs-Corrected-Data-on-M

Sorry you've been lied to. :|