Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Gun Control Megathread

Xoon

14 hours ago, Ulric said:

Ah yes, "provide statements". I hope they aren't dumb enough to do that. We have the 5th for a reason. I guarantee you that they cops don't give two shits about the attempted robbery, they have some bigger fish to fry now.

I'd have dumped a belt or three through the windshield, and claimed the fifth (and fourth).

Police are not your friends.

A VERY comprehensive survey by the Dept of Justice which includes 287,400 prisoners who used a firearm in a crime and how they obtained it. Includes graphs and other info

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/suficspi16.pdf

Highlights

An estimated 287,400 prisoners had possessed a firearm during their offense. Among these, more than half (56%) had either stolen it (6%), found it at the scene of the crime (7%), or obtained it off the street or from the underground market (43%). Most of the remainder (25%) had obtained it from a family member or friend, or as a gift. Seven percent had purchased it under their own name from a licensed firearm dealer.

Among prisoners who possessed a firearm during their offense, 0.8% obtained it at a gun show.

State prisoners with no military service were more likely to possess a gun during their offense (21%) than prisoners who had served in the military (16%).

Almost 3 in 10 (29%) black prisoners serving a sentence in state prison in 2016 possessed a firearm during their crime. White (12%) and Hispanic (21%) state prisoners were less likely to have possessed a firearm during their crime. Similarly, white (17%) and Hispanic (13%) federal prisoners serving a sentence in 2016 were less likely to have possessed a firearm during the crime than black (29%) federal prisoners.

3 hours ago, Donward said:

A VERY comprehensive survey by the Dept of Justice which includes 287,400 prisoners who used a firearm in a crime and how they obtained it. Includes graphs and other info

Highlights

An estimated 287,400 prisoners had possessed a firearm during their offense. Among these, more than half (56%) had either stolen it (6%), found it at the scene of the crime (7%), or obtained it off the street or from the underground market (43%). Most of the remainder (25%) had obtained it from a family member or friend, or as a gift. Seven percent had purchased it under their own name from a licensed firearm dealer.

Among prisoners who possessed a firearm during their offense, 0.8% obtained it at a gun show.

State prisoners with no military service were more likely to possess a gun during their offense (21%) than prisoners who had served in the military (16%).

Almost 3 in 10 (29%) black prisoners serving a sentence in state prison in 2016 possessed a firearm during their crime. White (12%) and Hispanic (21%) state prisoners were less likely to have possessed a firearm during their crime. Similarly, white (17%) and Hispanic (13%) federal prisoners serving a sentence in 2016 were less likely to have possessed a firearm during the crime than black (29%) federal prisoners.

FIGURES ARE RACIST (Or some such twaddle).

7 hours ago, Donward said:

Highlights

So basically gun crime is a non-issue, but the Press hates guns, and will never report honestly on the issue... 

Opioids are killing far more Americans than guns used in crime. 

I mean sure, we should be concerned about the Democrat voter base robbing, raping, and murdering people while their politicians try and take law abiding citizens right to defend themselves from said Democrat Voter vase away,  but nothing being proposed by either side will have any real effect gun crime. 

We should all take a step back, and take a real look at our heart health, and get some fucking exercise, because heart disease, not guns is what's going to kill us. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, Sturgeon said:

The fix is, "Be a single issue voter". 

If an elected official Violates/Infringes on the Second, assume they cannot be trusted on the other amendments, and send them packing.

Remind currently serving ones of the repercussions.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:56 PM, Sturgeon said:

What a shock! Someone in the gun manufacturing industry wants the peons to shut up and get in line. 

The fact that an NRA board member has to write something like this is indicative of how shit is unraveling.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:30 PM, Donward said:

Gun crime is still a big deal.

The way they're going about trying to fix "gun crime" is the issue.

Gun crime isn't a big deal the war on drugs is the bigger deal. Most of the gun homicide in this country is black guys shooting other black people over gang related issues. Said issues usually boil down too...

1. DRUGS

2. turf wars

Legalize drugs and these gangs no longer have much to fight over. Plus people no longer have to go to shaddy underground dealers to get some pot instead they'll just walk down to the local shop and buy which is a plus for everyone. We don't have a gun problem in America we have a Drug problem and a Gang problem. If you look at gun homicide statistics and factor out all the gang nonsense then gun homicide is truly a non issue.  

FYI: I'm Black so you dont get to pull the race card on me :sunglasses:

24 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Gun crime isn't a big deal the war on drugs is the bigger deal. Most of the gun homicide in this country is black guys shooting other black people over gang related issues. Said issues usually boil down too...

1. DRUGS

2. turf wars

Legalize drugs and these gangs no longer have much to fight over. Plus people no longer have to go to shaddy underground dealers to get some pot instead they'll just walk down to the local shop and buy which is a plus for everyone. We don't have a gun problem in America we have a Drug problem and a Gang problem. If you look at gun homicide statistics and factor out all the gang nonsense then gun homicide is truly a non issue.  

Reading comprehension and context is a thing. 

I grew up in White Center so you don't get to pull the race card on me.

59 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

1. DRUGS

2. turf wars

I Used to hand out watermelons from a patch back home to shoe pushers and grandparents. Miss Betty loved me.  I get offered up drugs and squares off of kids in backpacks that roamed the street after school. I was the only white guy on my street and everybody knew me. I had the main dealer on speed dial in case I "ever wanted anybody fucked up" cause I helped him with his car once. 

But I'm freakishly white. Welcome, brother.

And yeah black on black kill the fuck out of each other. It's sad as shit.

10 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

1. DRUGS

2. turf wars

So what have you contributed to this forum?

Portland businessman who shot to death homeless camper agrees to pay $400,000 to settle lawsuit

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/02/portland-businessman-who-shot-to-death-homeless-camper-agrees-to-pay-400000-to-settle-lawsuit.html

In the afternoon, Petersen walked into Chan’s insurance agency at 5821 S.E. 82nd Ave., told Chan he’d camped on the porch the previous night and asked what happened to his belongings, according to Chan’s account to police. After Chan told Petersen he threw the belongings away, Petersen threatened to kill him and torch his business, Chan said.

Chan told police that he shot Petersen with his .22-caliber revolver as Petersen was coming at him to assault him -- and that Chan had no time to warn Petersen that he was about to shoot. Chan said he didn’t intend to kill Petersen.

Chan, who is 5-foot-6, told investigators that he thought Petersen was much bigger and could overpower him. An autopsy report lists Petersen at 5-foot-7 and 145 pounds.

Police said Petersen had schizophrenia.

A Portland insurance agent who shot to death a homeless man -- after the man apparently camped out on the doorstep of his business -- has agreed to pay the dead man's estate $400,000.

Insurance agent Charlie Win Chan agreed to settle the case with the estate of Jason Gerald Petersen after fatally shooting him in the torso on Feb. 20, 2017. A lawsuit was filed later that year for $1.1 million, but the amount sought was later increased to $15.9 million.