Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Gun Control Megathread

Xoon

3 hours ago, Donward said:

Chan told police that he shot Petersen with his .22-caliber revolver as Petersen was coming at him to assault him -- and that Chan had no time to warn Petersen that he was about to shoot. Chan said he didn’t intend to kill Petersen.

Chan, who is 5-foot-6, told investigators that he thought Petersen was much bigger and could overpower him. An autopsy report lists Petersen at 5-foot-7 and 145 pounds.

What the fuck kinda pansy ass shit is this? You have to "warn" someone before you shoot them?

On 2/2/2019 at 5:18 AM, Sturgeon said:

What the fuck kinda pansy ass shit is this? You have to "warn" someone before you shoot them?

As if the sound of the bolt closing was not warning enough.

Based on Joe Biden's suggestion, I could make a "personal defense unit" that just replicates the sound of a (I assume) Remington 870 shucking a high brass double ought into the smoke-hole.

I mean, "hey, the Veep suggested it".

https://needtoknow.news/2019/02/sheriffs-in-washington-state-are-receiving-death-threats-over-their-refusal-to-enforce-gun-control/

Looks like a crazy person is threatening to kill sheriffs who don't enforce Washington's new gun control laws.

At least this lefty is honest with his intensions.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1263/titles?r=13&s=1&fbclid=IwAR2zXQLiRQmqkJFDNALzcxNep6hnnaSPmvTs7A84ZstkNmLPmeuqU3zj4uQ

H.R.1263 - To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act any semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine.

27 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1263/titles?r=13&s=1&fbclid=IwAR2zXQLiRQmqkJFDNALzcxNep6hnnaSPmvTs7A84ZstkNmLPmeuqU3zj4uQ

H.R.1263 - To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act any semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine.

Let the Revolt commence.

On 2/22/2019 at 6:42 PM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I see it does not affect belt fed weapons.

I also see this working in ways the moronic writers of this bill never imagined.

You were worried about 30 round "clips".

Now you have 250 round belts to deal with.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:42 PM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Does this mean I can keep my Hotchkiss Mle 1914? 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

Emotional money grab or actual problems?  And would anyone here have a serious problem if the NRA went away?

https://www.newsandguts.com/nra-leader-we-could-shut-down-very-soon/?fbclid=IwAR3s8iYk32nuoONv4EwbnzPDzr911c3XWEPCCbPPJaUjLjIPF_2OFq--02w

Absolutely a fundraising ploy. Having said that, I am not confident that other gun groups could fill the gap if the NRA evaporated (it won't). 

12 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Absolutely a fundraising ploy. Having said that, I am not confident that other gun groups could fill the gap if the NRA evaporated (it won't). 

They could not.

Most of what we got in Kentucky (recently), was due to the NRA.

• 4 weeks later...

So gun nerds joke a lot about the Left thinking of firearms as these Tolkienesque evil magical artifacts...

Taking seriously the supernatural effects of guns has broad relevance for understanding and addressing gun violence globally. In the U.S., gun advocates tend to view the gun as a value-neutral tool. As they say: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." On the other side are gun control advocates who argue that guns do indeed kill people: Without their lethal power easily at hand, as in other countries, far fewer deaths occur. But the anthropological lesson from Haiti is that the truth is more complex. It isn't just the technological lethality of guns that makes them dangerous: They also exert a power on human agency. They change us. It is both the technology and the symbolism of a gun that can encourage someone to shoot.

Frantz, Papapa, and Henri died untimely, unnecessary deaths, as did the 142 people (139 victims and three gunmen) in the five mass shootings listed above. There is a lesson to be gleaned from understanding the supernatural potency of guns. We cannot think about guns and people as separate entities, debating gun restrictions on one hand and mental-health policy on the other. The target of intervention must be the gun-person composite. If we are to truly understand and control gun violence, we need to accept that guns have potent technological and psychological effects on people—effects that inspire violent ways of being and acting in the world.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:35 PM, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Some of them totally believe that shit though.  Guns are evil, they actually make you do bad stuff, like drugs in the 80s!

I'm sadly related to some.

That I've owned firearms since I was old enough to legally do so, and have yet to shoot up a school (or ballpark full of congressmen) has yet to make a dent in the adamantine armor of ignorance they have deployed.

One who is an avid deer hunter was horrified when he saw me showing a cousin my rather nice BYF42 P-38, proclaiming "Who knows how many that has killed!?". (Zero, as I bought it unfired).  My reply was "In my hands? None, so far." and slid it back into it's holster.

This guy is such a fudd he thought my 870 with extended mag tube was "a weapon of war", and had never seen nor handled an AR-15 of any kind til I had my absurd R6700CH MT out. (Great gun if you want a 14 pound AR that will cut ragged holes at 600 yards, and costs $300~$500 more than any comparable AR because of the fucking horse).

Many are still horrified that I "worked in the war-profiteering industry" (As did their parents, my grandparents).

This sort of stuff really gets me excited. Now that barrels are almost hashed out thanks to the wonders of ECM milling technology, it becomes significantly harder to limit the global proliferation of firearms by people DIYing them on their own. Basically, this guy along with another guy I know called Jeff have been successful not only in rifling a steel barrel, but also drilling it completely. The ECM process doesn't care about hardness or whatever, only conductivity as far as milling goes so even 4150 steel is no problemo.

Sure there's still limitations regarding making nitrocellulose propellant, but Jeff has some cool ideas on making a "boom loom" that takes cotton string through an automated process that nitrates it and then washes it, along with other neat things like nichrome electrical primers. I think the future looks pretty bright, don't really need to depend on an incompetent NRA or some men in black dresses if technology marches forward enough.