Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The UK Brave Space For Shitposting and Other Opinions Thread

47 minutes ago, Xlucine said:

This scenario shouldn't feature in the SDSR, because any proper invasion of the UK (i.e. an existential threat) would warrant a nuclear response and no-one wins. Any threat nation invading just the UK would be an odd move, and would have to contend with almost every submarine in NATO en route (who've been salivating for a chance like that for decades).

The ability for the UK to effectivily use nuclear weapons against the United States or American forces is dubious.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:41 PM, Ramlaen said:

The ability for the UK to effectivily use nuclear weapons against the United States or American forces is dubious.

The system for transmitting launch codes to the SSBN's is entirely sovereign UK, we aren't piggy-backing off the US PAL system. The only obvious way for the US to impede UK nuclear weapons would be to deny maintenance in future, which doesn't do much for the ~8 missiles on patrol right now (and if HMG will no longer exist anyway, so what?)

3 hours ago, Xlucine said:

The system for transmitting launch codes to the SSBN's is entirely sovereign UK, we aren't piggy-backing off the US PAL system. The only obvious way for the US to impede UK nuclear weapons would be to deny maintenance in future, which doesn't do much for the ~8 missiles on patrol right now (and if HMG will no longer exist anyway, so what?)

I was referring to destroying the UK's means of firing them and/or intercepting any missiles that manage to get launched.

3 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Yo @Sgt.Squarehead you know anything about this case?

The article & video cover it pretty thoroughly, he'd well & truly lost the plot and chopped a poor old lady's head off.....Consequently while he's not guilty of murder by reason of insanity, he'll be indefinitely detained under the Mental Health Act. 

He won't be going anywhere in a long time and where he's going he'll fit right in. 

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The article & video cover it pretty thoroughly, he'd well & truly lost the plot and chopped a poor old lady's head off.....Consequently while he's not guilty of murder by reason of insanity, he'll be indefinitely detained under the Mental Health Act. 

He won't be going anywhere in a long time and where he's going he'll fit right in. 

How is the insanity plea defined in the UK?

From what I understand here in the States, it usually defends individuals who accidentally hurt others due to their illness. 

I'm at a loss as to how someone accidentally cuts an old woman's head off.

17 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

For reference, I carried this exact knife (buck 110) all through high school. That's right, in PUBLIC SCHOOL.

I had one similar, they were all the rage, probably still got it somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I'm at a loss as to how someone accidentally cuts an old woman's head off.

No disrespect intended, but did you actually read the article, or just toss it out there because it looks kind of spectacular?

He was suffering from schizophrenic delusions (ie: he wasn't seeing an old lady, rather something from the depths of his subconscious).....Presumably the problem isn't going to go away unless he's permanently medicated to fuck, hence Broadmoor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital

My question still remains. I read the article.  This is the part that stood out to me. 

CTV footage showed Salvador killing two cats before targeting Mrs Silva. He lost his job three days before the incident, and smoked skunk cannabis, the court heard.

His trial heard two psychiatrists agreed he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

When he carried out the killing, he believed Mrs Silva was a supernatural entity, either Adolf Hitler back from the dead or a demon who had taken the form of an old lady, jurors heard.

He was not previously diagnosed. Paranoid Schizophrenia victims that hold down a job are fairly rare. It all just seems so deliberate. Hacking off someone's head isn't a quick and easy thing like killing cats. 

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I had one similar, they were all the rage, probably still got it somewhere.

No disrespect intended, but did you actually read the article, or just toss it out there because it looks kind of spectacular?

He was suffering from schizophrenic delusions (ie: he wasn't seeing an old lady, rather something from the depths of his subconscious).....Presumably the problem isn't going to go away unless he's permanently medicated to fuck, hence Broadmoor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital

The equivalent in SA is often referred to as "acquitted but committed".

It's not usually considered the better option when compared to pleaing innocence in the usual fashion, as the most likely 'successful' outcome is involuntary detainment in a mental hospital (ie: not a fun place) which amounts to a lifetime sentence.

The only way to be completely acquited in this fashion (ie: in the sense of being found not guilty and walking free) is to show that the mental incapacity was non-pathological. Historically the courts have only ever recognised really obvious things such as epileptic fits or other involuntay actions as fitting this bill.

24 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

More silliness with knives:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/30/zombie-knife-attacker-jailed-judges-ruled-original-suspended/

Just lucky that this fucking moron didn't have easy access to a firearm, I guess.  ;)

Yes. Thank god glances at smudged notes written on hand in marker there was no one there with a gun to shoot the zombie knife attacker