Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Land 400 Phase 3: Australian IFV

13 minutes ago, DIADES said:

Note that the front camera has been replaced bu a mirror!  So, the strategy is cheap and nasty :)

Or, just maybe, “we don’t need a camera for the intended purpose that this hull would fulfil”, or “we’ll integrate it when it gets to where it’s going”?

Just as when Rheinmetall ships production Boxer, a lot of the situational awareness sensors are stripped off. 

1hqWZey.jpg

Seems smart to have scalable alternatives & redundancies in a complex system. 

17 minutes ago, DIADES said:

Note that the front camera has been replaced bu a mirror!  So, the strategy is cheap and nasty 

Considering they seem to be 2 equally appealing options, they gotta do what they can to seem more appealing than the Lynx, even if the strategy is “we are cheaper than our competitors”. 

1 hour ago, DIADES said:

Note that the front camera has been replaced bu a mirror!  So, the strategy is cheap and nasty :)

The press release mentions (machine translated), "The new unit was specially designed to test and evaluate its ability to protect against landmines, improvised explosives, external bullets and shell attacks, especially underneath the vehicle."

With that mentioned it's probably the reason as to why this specific prototype has a different configuration to the previous AS21s that were shipped out earlier this year.

1 hour ago, 2805662 said:

ships production Boxer,

not sure we have apples and apples - that is not a production boxer ex Germany.  They are painted DPP in Aus and have lots of gear including the SAS cameras fitted locally.  they use tectonica cameras;  I don't see a mirror added...

3 minutes ago, Cleb said:

With that mentioned it's probably the reason as to why this specific prototype has a different configuration to the previous AS21s that were shipped out earlier this year

could be.  This it would be odd as the mineblast test vehicle were to be first delivered.

12 minutes ago, DIADES said:

not sure we have apples and apples - that is not a production boxer ex Germany.  They are painted DPP in Aus and have lots of gear including the SAS cameras fitted locally.  they use tectonica cameras;  I don't see a mirror added...

Well aware of that. It’s literally Boxer ARN213083, the first Block 1 Boxer delivered to the Australian Army. Boxers are also fitted with wing mirrors, as appropriate. I’ve circled the mount for the mirrors in the pic below. ARN is 213084, pic taken at 2/14 QMI open day on 2019. 

qdpH09D.jpg

1 hour ago, DIADES said:

Understood and agreed - the mirror I am talking about is the one mounted near the right hand front lifting point on the REDBACk, the one angled to look down/forward instead of a camera.  No BOXER has that.  They have a camera.

Don’t know about that. The mirror you refer to on the Redback looks angled to view where the front of the track comes into contact with the ground. Boxer’s camera, located midway up the glacis, can’t see that area. Boxer does have equivalent mirrors positioned to view the same area, albeit located outboard, rather than inboard. These are circled in the attached pic. Cheap & nasty? Seems pragmatic. 

n0hLsTd.jpg

Just as a comparison of the mirrors of the AS21s out there.

Spoiler

Hanwha test rig? Not sure what to call this one but it lacks any sort of mirrors and has the low slung front facing camera cluster which is seen on the AS21 that was fitted with a turret at the Elbit Systems facility.

X8F5rjX.jpg

4Dv5fJF.jpg

Elbit test rig. Has the same low slung front facing camera cluster as the Hanwha test rig but has additional mirrors though of a different design to the ones fitted to the two AS21s that were rolled out in July and the recent 3rd prototype.

b4EmIVp.jpg

JbampxJ.jpg

The AS21 in the suspension test video has the same mirror setup as the one in the Elbit Systems Turret and Hull integration video. 

LUBms9X.jpg

1st and 2nd AS21s rolled out in July. These ones have a different front facing camera cluster to the Hanwha and Elbit test rigs and new mirrors. The mirrors on these two are the same as that on the 3rd prototype. Though as is being discussed it is lacking the front facing camera cluster.

wsTxh5I.jpg

WEqBE1Q.png

TejjtQt.jpg

Completely useless detail info...

1 hour ago, 2805662 said:

mirror

we have driven down a mirror rabbit hole..!  My point is that the CAMERA has been deleted.  No number of mirrors on any platform in any way is equivalent to a CAMERA.  Clebs post is very useful.  Looks like the drivers camera has evolved.  Latest version is more practical as it sits back behind the front edge of the glacis.  I take back my comment about mounting provision too.  It looks like the latest cast housing picks up on 4 existing armour mount bolts,  Cable routs still not obvious tho.

And on mirrors :) BOXER does not look t have any mirrors fitted during driver conversion training.  It does have cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

ADBC : 네이버 블로그 (naver.com)  page 4, google foo translate

they seem to suggest, Korea can offer bomblet protection like the Germans (Puma) and assume that Lynx will offer bomblet protection.

they seem to suggest, Korea did not have the tech to have the hull blast protection required, but that only Israel's Plasan and Germany's IBD do.  Obviously Plasan feeds into Redback.

seemed to suggest, Redback's 42 tonne combat weight can rise to 47 tonne.

they seemed to suggest that (주)삼양컴텍 (samyangct.com) is involved (an armour company supply both Korean tank, and K21 IFV armour 'glove')

there is also an obvious error where they mix up Rafael for Elbit.

as i understand it, the vendors are allowed (not discouraged) to display various configurations, but when it comes down to the final analysis, the competition is a single variant vs a single variant,  ie, the tender score  normalisation is about a single offer each.

• 2 weeks later...