Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Land 400 Phase 3: Australian IFV

16 hours ago, SH_MM said:

No, they are not. You may not know what the relevant performance metrics are, if you come to this conclusion...

I'm sure I don't know what the relevant performance metrics are,

however using the public advertisments in my country, I get

COAPS 2016 COAPS_2016.pdf (elbitsystems.com.au) FLIR •target NATO NFOV (DRI 10.5, 4.5, 2.2) km

R400 R400BrochureAUS_WEB.pdf (eos-aus.com)  thermal imager•target  (DRI 13.7, 5.1, 4.0) km

If I were to draw a conclusion, it would be that 4 years is currently a long time in sensor tech, and that COAPS2016 is different to COAPS today.

Question, how friendly (or otherwise) are rubber tracks to dirt roads.  I assume the rubber tracks are still too aggressive to place on bitumen roads, but do they tear up dirt roads too?   (Ie australian rural dirt road, but still traversable by RWD. Ie ford falcon)

Never (personally) had an issue with tracks tearing up roads. T130, Diehl 513, T150F: never damaged the roads I operated on, in Australia & overseas. Re. Dirt tracks, we’d normally parallel them if we thought we’d damage them by repeated traffic. 

We’d also road run Leopard AS1 (similar MLC as AS21/KF41) with no issues regarding damage. Can’t imagine composite rubber track would be any more aggressive than conventional track using rubber pads. 

2 hours ago, Kal said:

I assume the rubber tracks are still too aggressive to place on bitumen roads, but do they tear up dirt roads too? 

Military track (in peacetime) is friendly to all road surfaces simply as load is distributed so well compared to wheeled vehicles.  Exceptions are when the midden intersects the ventilator and we revert to steel track and even rubber pad or band track does rip up bitumen if you pivot turn.  Less damage on dirt as less traction. (less resistance to pivot)

3 hours ago, DIADES said:

Military track (in peacetime) is friendly to all road surfaces simply as load is distributed so well compared to wheeled vehicles.  Exceptions are when the midden intersects the ventilator and we revert to steel track and even rubber pad or band track does rip up bitumen if you pivot turn.  Less damage on dirt as less traction. (less resistance to pivot)

what I'm trying to understand, would a carefully driven rubber banded IFV be capable of travel on australian/asian roads without causing damage.  because excavators have a bad reputation for tearing up the roads.  we have plenty of that thin cheap, spray seal (chip & seal) road The Nature of Sprayed Seals | Austroads.  

7 hours ago, Kal said:

excavators

earthmoving equipment uses pure steel track - literally a steel edge or two contacts the road at every link..  99% combat vehicle track (in peacetime) use a steel track with rubber pads - only the pads contact the road.  Same impact as a rubber track.  Tracked earthmovers have no suspension so there are high in-equalities in load distribution as well.  No comparison

36 minutes ago, 2805662 said:

I don’t believe that’s been integrated into the KF41 as of yet. 

AFAIK according to the original schedule (before covid-related delay) by this time the Lynx shall have been under state trials here in CZ in its final configuration, i.e. including the Iron Fist. For sure the Australian version is different but the Iron Fists shall be present in both and by now already integrated at least in one. 

On 12/20/2020 at 12:52 PM, Cleb said:

The 3rd AS21 prototype has left Korea and is en route to Australia. It departed from Masan Port on the 18th.

According to the press release (machine translated), "prototype 3 will be officially delivered to the Australian Army in the middle of next month along with the 1st and 2nd units sent to Australia in July, and will be used for a full-fledged test evaluation from February." (Link: https://www.news1.kr/articles/?4155699

5mKZEWf.jpg

Hide contents

something that is standing out is that both as21 and kf41 seem to have the drivers position a lot further aft than CV90 or KF31....LYNX-5_(c)HDF.jpg

periscopes seem to at front of AS21 drivers  hatch, but halfway back of KF41 hatch

22 hours ago, 2805662 said:

integrated into the KF41

Yes it has been.  The pics with no sensors are of the blast vehicle which has many expensive bits omitted.  Not fitted is not the same as not integrated.  Later pics of the non-blast vehicles for RMA clearly show the sensors.

H9J6VRp.jpg

Queensland's cabinet hosting a meeting at Rheinmetall Defence Australia’s Military Vehicle Centre of Excellence on Monday. The state government signed a MoU that day reiterating its support for RM's KF41 bid.

Also the Department of Defence says that it has received the three prototypes of each contending IFV as of 13 February https://www.overtdefense.com/2021/02/19/queensland-government-reaffirms-backing-of-rheinmetall-land-400-phrase-3-bid/