Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Land 400 Phase 3: Australian IFV

9 hours ago, Atokara said:

Glad to see it. I've been rooting for the AS21 to win and would've hated to see it only get dropped for a reason other than it's performance and capabilities.

The optics were downgraded - so not much to be happy about. There is some speculation that EOS only installed its optics as a stand-in (as the hull previously was used for blast testing) and the offered variant still has the Elbit COAPS as gunner's sight.

On 6/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, DIADES said:

looks like it might t be useful too - unlike the balcony on the back of Redback

Not a fan of either, tbh. 

Speaking of, here’s some more pics. 
AVnnis7.jpg

Note the top cover sentry hatches open to the vertical & prevent turret traverse. 

F7dpVeI.jpg

The overhang to the rear. 

6DaZ7QR.jpg

sFgwzDP.jpg

Some “well proven” suspension components. 

More pics of the Redback. 

Suspension unit. 
5PpR5c5.jpg

Note the spacer between roadwheels to accommodate the Soucy track.

5LDIJL1.jpg

SA cameras. 

Fdsrr3K.jpg

Sadly, this (blast test hull) was displayed without its coat rack fitted. 

xhutMii.jpg

Marketing bumpf:

gjNjMJH.jpg

hFWrTnH.jpg

Information on the power pack:

czvPPHV.jpg 

The engine for the RMA Redback. 

Tu3QFRo.jpg

34 minutes ago, 2805662 said:

Yes…already addressed:

I don't agree.  That is pure show stuff.  If that was an actual functional system, why not fitted to RMA vehicles?  Plus, just look at it - the geometry means that there is almost certainly massive back pressure as the poor exhaust is basically pointed at a flat plate a few inches away.  OK, maybe I'm wrong about that and lets pretend that the exhaust is now flowing in that thing - which is now a massive thermal signature right down the side of the vehicle.  The vehicles as delivered are breathtakingly loud and I can't imagine Hanwha not fitting a solution if they had one ready to go.

3 minutes ago, DIADES said:

I don't agree.  That is pure show stuff.  If that was an actual functional system, why not fitted to RMA vehicles?  Plus, just look at it - the geometry means that there is almost certainly massive back pressure as the poor exhaust is basically pointed at a flat plate a few inches away.  OK, maybe I'm wrong about that and lets pretend that the exhaust is now flowing in that thing - which is now a massive thermal signature right down the side of the vehicle.  The vehicles as delivered are breathtakingly loud and I can't imagine Hanwha not fitting a solution if they had one ready to go.

Could well be correct - is the audible signature a requirement? Would be interesting to see what the respective interior noise & vibration profiles are, especially considering the UK AJAX experience. 

On 6/9/2021 at 6:41 PM, 2805662 said:

is the audible signature a requirement?

Yes - two Requirements FPS 2250 and 3381.  Static and in motion.  Non-detectable at 300m and 3,000m respectively.  Then there are crew/dismount habitability Requirements too.

Yes - AJAX is a valuable reminder.  In that case, given how old the vehicle is and that it is in service - I suspect the limits we accept now are lower than the bad old days!

1 hour ago, DIADES said:

Yes - two Requirements FPS 2250 and 3381.  Static and in motion.  Non-detectable at 300m and 3,000m respectively.  Then there are crew/dismount habitability Requirements too.

Thanks. Long since deleted my copies of the requirements. 

Regarding the habitability requirements, will be interesting to see whether the different suspension & track systems affect the crew & dismount experiences. 

9 hours ago, Kal said:

Hanwha will be demonstrating 2 turrets for Land 400 phase 3 RMA.

Yeah, read that.  Can't see how.  RMA is well and truly underway.  Pretty sure the rules do not allow late entries!  More likely that there is one turret type on their RMA vehicles (Elbit for sure) and they will show the CoA the "EOS" turret on the sidelines.

my understanding of phase 3 land 400, is that its easy to demonstrate multiple configurations and options, but the sales pitch is to about a sole particular best option.  I would consider it for australia to be demonstration of the better suited for Australia between the T2000 and the Elbit system, but could still be relevant for other countries looking for a in use, global solution.

RMA is underway, but each is a contract between the commonwealth and the tenderer; it can be amended via Contract Change Proposal. Either party can initiate a CCP. Would be surprised if they weren’t into double digit CCPs by now, for the RMA alone. 

Regardless, RMA would likely be followed by an offer definition & improvement activity (ODIA) which may occur on either side of a down-select. 

Interestingly, a separate project just (this month) shortlisted Elbit as a potential prime contractor for another Land project. 

On 6/19/2021 at 4:26 PM, 2805662 said:

Contract Change

True but CoA will not allow changes that to introduce any hint of unfair advantage.  As each part of RMA proceeds, extent of change that could be permitted will reduce for fear of damaging prior assessments - and CoA is definitely not going back to repeat prior work.  Changing the turret to a different design is massive.  I simply can't see it being allowed - it could invalidate blast results for example.

39 minutes ago, DIADES said:

True but CoA will not allow changes that to introduce any hint of unfair advantage.  As each part of RMA proceeds, extent of change that could be permitted will reduce for fear of damaging prior assessments - and CoA is definitely not going back to repeat prior work.  Changing the turret to a different design is massive.  I simply can't see it being allowed - it could invalidate blast results for example.

All reasonable points. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

New (infantry) boss for L400 at the end of the year, new guy in AHQ (black hat), new user rep in forces command (infantry - lightfighter); all setting up for an interesting evaluation. 

8 hours ago, Rico said:

Is there any current feeling/rumours/in between statements how Redback and Lynx are doing and which one is doing better?

don't know, it kinda feels like both have potential to make it to the finish line, barring some unfortunate self sabotarge ie, Redback's exhaust, Lynx's ammunition.