Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Land 400 Phase 3: Australian IFV

9 hours ago, Kal said:

Lynx's ammunition

Bullshit.  May I remind you that CoA is already in contract for the Rheinmetall weapon and ammunition.  And has taken delivery of a dozen BOXER with this weapon and is firing this weapon and its ammo.  So - no way is "Lynx's ammunition" a factor - except maybe positive as it is common with in service ammo :)

23 hours ago, 2805662 said:

New (infantry) boss for L400 at the end of the year, new guy in AHQ (black hat), new user rep in forces command (infantry - lightfighter); all setting up for an interesting evaluation. 

Rotations, one of the wasps in the jam of life...

So, we have Baaaanaby Joyce back as leader of the Nationals and thus Deputy PM.  Given his serious foot in mouth disease, I anticipate an early end to RMA and an early call on the winner.    Defence do not want the next Federal Election to impact the program and with Joyce in the mix, the odds are for an early election and real prospect of delaying the overall program due to caretaker provisions and or a change in Government.

2 hours ago, DIADES said:

I anticipate an early end to RMA and an early call on the winner.  

I was actually thinking that would be a good idea anyway, both seem excellent options, call for sharpened pencils and start manufacture anyway.  the m113 has long been effectively a capbility gap.

Elphinestone LAND FORCES 2021 - Elphinstone & Hanwha team for Redback IFV hull fabrication | ADBR for hull fabrication.

50 tonne vehicles,  Elphinestone's sweet spot, 52 tonnes operating mass R2900 LHD (+17 more for payload)

EDITORIAL || An even money chance for the North-West to win big | The Advocate | Burnie, TAS

https://youtu.be/OltnuP4SuJI

7 minutes ago, DIADES said:

We can debate relative merit once the decision is made and we can really share :)

Absolutely. 

I’m glad that the Rheinmetall’s MILVEHCOE is viable on the back of the business they’ve already won. Otherwise it’d be a capability Ponzi scheme! 

The Land 400 Phase 3 RMA path - Australian Defence Magazine

"Prior to the start of the user trials, a Lynx and a Redback were displayed side by side outside Defence headquarters on 12 March, both weighing in at more than 40 tonnes and towering over a well-preserved example of the M113AS4 that they’re competing to replace. The user trials will continue until October, when the project will move to a final evaluation phase.

Test locations include the High Range training area outside Townsville during the wet season, and the 2,100 square kilometre Cultana combined arms training area in South Australia at the height of summer.

According to Defence, the test vehicles will have been delivered to the trials “in a configuration representative of their tendered configuration with any exceptions agreed to by Defence and documented in the RMA contracts that Defence has signed with each tenderer”."

On 7/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, 2805662 said:

Unverified reports from the Czech trials describing the LF41’s (automotive) performance as “disastrous” citing “multiple pack failures” of the Liebherr engine.

Anyone heard/seen anything to confirm or refute?

I haven't sen any such reports. All latest reports are related only to the fact at this moment it's impossible to sign the final contract before parlamentary elections which means everything will be again delayed (if no other issues come with the new government).  

Before there was a lot of fuss related to Rheinmetall lobbying but there were basically no reports about any technical issues of any of the contenders (which doesn't mean none issues appeared). 

• 2 weeks later...