Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Name that AFV: The New Tank ID thread

Walter_Sobchak

I swear that this crazy bike thing was in this same book too.  I just can't recall the title or author(s). It was basically a history of tracked and armored vehicles from ancient times to about the 60s.  Publication date was probably in the early 70s, but that's just an approximate guess. I'm still trying to see if I can find anything about it online.

These illustrations are found in it, but I do not recall them being in color.

njfhyghgyfnjhh.jpg

57 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

I swear that this crazy bike thing was in this same book too.  I just can't recall the title or author(s). It was basically a history of tracked and armored vehicles from ancient times to about the 60s.  Publication date was probably in the early 70s, but that's just an approximate guess. I'm still trying to see if I can find anything about it online.

These illustrations are found in it, but I do not recall them being in color.

Hide contents

njfhyghgyfnjhh.jpg

I'm not sure which particular book that is, but the artwork is by John Batchelor.  His stuff got reprinted and reused in a bunch of books, such as Tank: A History of the Armored Fighting Vehicle by Kenneth Macksey and Fighting Tanks by Ian Hogg, to name a few.  All decent books for their time but really of rather limited use in the internet era.  Still, I pick them up if I find them cheap, I like looking at them.  His art was used in a bunch of these magazine format tank books as well.

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Used copies are quite affordable on Amazon if you want to take a trip down memory lane.

Sometimes they are affordable but somehow some books are even more expensive than new ones. For example the AN-72 book by Yefim Gordon, 25$ but the transport cost 39$! So I get me a copy at abebooks for 24£. 

I have no clue on the wheel-cum bike thing.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How about this one:

Immediate response is T-80UK, but there seems to be only 4 smoke dischargers per side.  I never really got what a -UA is.

38 minutes ago, T___A said:

Top should be a K-90, a fun looking little tank.

Bottom appears to be an IT-1 turret on something other than a T-62 hull.  I'm guessing Obj. 140, but the road wheel spacing is off.

6 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

Top should be a K-90, a fun looking little tank. 

Yep.

6 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

Bottom appears to be an IT-1 turret on something other than a T-62 hull.  I'm guessing Obj. 140, but the road wheel spacing is off. 

This was meant to be a trick question as it is the first iteration of the IT-1. It actually predates the T-62 so they initially envisioned it on the 140 hull.