Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Name that AFV: The New Tank ID thread

Walter_Sobchak

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

Leopard 1A6... prototype? 

That's basically it.  This example is just it before it got the further add-on armor and official designation.

You can tell it is not a 1A5 model because the coincidence rangefinders are still there, but interestingly, the thermal sight is present as well.  I assume that it was needed for the new gun and that the old sights were just not removed.

4 hours ago, Scolopax said:

That's basically it.  This example is just it before it got the further add-on armor and official designation.

You can tell it is not a 1A5 model because the coincidence rangefinders are still there, but interestingly, the thermal sight is present as well.  I assume that it was needed for the new gun and that the old sights were just not removed.

At one point the Leopard 2 was going to have a backup coincidence rangefinder in addition to the laser.  Given the proliferation of laser warning systems and the flat trajectory of APFSDS, I think this may be an idea whose time has come again.

5 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

At one point the Leopard 2 was going to have a backup coincidence rangefinder in addition to the laser.  Given the proliferation of laser warning systems and the flat trajectory of APFSDS, I think this may be an idea whose time has come again.

Maybe something like the EMES-13 the Germans were working on? I believe it’s on the Leopard 2 PT-14 mod(?), and worked pretty well, except it was expensive. 

Edit: because we need to keep on topic, here’s a picture. 

6271922771_64684c5a05_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Jägerlein said:

A "Jihaded" Jagdpanzer 38(t) with an Pz. 38(t) turret and a BBQ set in the trunk? :blink:

Wrong on Jihaded, correct on hull and turret (albeit not German naming here), and somewhat there on BBQ set.

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Is the turret mounted on the vehicle or is that something parked behind it?

Turret is mounted.

Here is another pic that I like better.

7ac7d7cfb6a928dbb3cf022d3f56ae05.jpg

Edited response to first quote

Edited by Scolopax

On 7/15/2018 at 1:51 PM, Scolopax said:

Looks to be a 2 1/2 ton gun truck.  I'm guessing M35-base given the front fenders, but I'm not positive. I don't think it's a US design, maybe from somewhere in central America.

It probably is based of the M35, but there's little info I've been able to find about this truck except that it isn't from the Americas. 

Yugoslav M-636

On 7/22/2018 at 10:54 AM, Scolopax said:

According to Rolf Hilmes' KPz Leopard 1 1956-2003, p.43, 

In year 1983, the Bundeswehr send two Leopard 1 tanks for 120 mm cannon conversion: one Leopard 1 A5 with cast turret, one Leopard 1 A3 with welded turret. 

103721f1h6zzo4194h6s1i.png

And in Tankograd No.5014, p.30, 

The conversion of normal Leopard 1 A5 also included the preparation for installation of a 120mm smoothbore cannon, though never realised in production models. 

On 8/1/2018 at 4:58 AM, Monochromelody said:

And in Tankograd No.5014, p.30, 

The conversion of normal Leopard 1 A5 also included the preparation for installation of a 120mm smoothbore cannon, though never realised in production models. 

This issue includes even more:
gwxUpVh.png

and:
ML25b1I.png
No further talk of the 1A3. Hope this wasn't to much derailing.

• 2 weeks later...