vaWICbf.jpg

lSfTTm6.jpgmrh4I9L.jpg

uYnAmh1.jpgC0RlZJO.jpg

cS5pM9L.jpg7MgRBaK.jpg

FXx6Zn7.jpg

8H4rShj.jpg

Tested against 30 mm AP from 400 m distance; no penetration

0p9VSK6.jpg

UFP after shot by 35 mm PELE (at least that was claimed on a German forum once); no penetration of the base armor

1451251337-marder-bmp-2-armor.jpg

(lower vehicle is BMP)

On 7/15/2018 at 2:49 PM, Toimisto said:

By the way, given the armor of modern IFV´s are guns like 35mm oerlikon capable of engaging them from the front or are they limited to side engagements? Same for engaging tanks, are Autocannons usefull for  engaging tanks from the side?

It depends on the ammunition and range, but in general yes. Even an old 35 mm APFSDS round from the late 1980s/early 1990s can penetrate 100 mm steel armor at 2,000 m distance. A more modern design with longer penetrator should be able to deal with quite a bit more armor.

Modern IFVs are often designed with very limited amounts of additional protection over the demanded/desired protection level due to the large physical size and the relatively low weight spend on armor. The CV90 Mk II and CV90 Mk III for example are both designed to resist 30 mm APFSDS ammo (from 1,000 m distance), but they are not meeting the NATO STANAG 4569 level 6 standard (protection against modern 30 mm AP, APDS and APFSDS ammunition from 500 m distance along the frontal arc). The difference in armor penetration of a 30 mm APFSDS between 500 m and 1,000 m is probably just about 5-10 mm steel.

So a 35 mm gun, a 40 mm or a 57 mm gun would probably cause quite a lot of trouble for some of the lighter IFV types that are designed to just reach protection against 25 mm/30 mm rounds.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:26 PM, Militarysta said:

Sorry but polish manufacurer this armour is fucken angry about those photo in net.

Sounds like a good reason to post the photos again :anticipation:. Doesn't bother to paint the armor on the inside, but then gets angry when someone takes a photo...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not sure about LAV25 having 36 deg(only about angle)   this is basic armour structure, without any addons

Well known APC Rosomak in Afgan. version armour:     Orginally it was israeli but after that it was produced by polish company "Mikanit": http://www.mikanit.com.pl/produkty/os

Most NATO-member-made AFVs, especially for marketing, are made to meet a certain protection level described in STANAG 4569. It basically saves the vehicle manufacturers some of the time and money it t

4 hours ago, Jägerlein said:

How does the visual impression of the 1A3's frontplate correlate to the 11mm given in the diagram? The outer plate alone looks like ~1cm :blink:

Sorry, I forgot to explain that correctly: the diagram shows the armor of the Marder before the 1A3 upgrade. Source for the values is the book "Schützenpanzer Marder: Die technische Dokumentation des Waffensystems" by Lohmann and Hilmes.

2129_900.jpg

The listed thickness of the front plate is the engine cover thickness. The engine cover has a lid around the edges, that make it look a bit thicker when seen from the side:

marder_1_a3_17_of_57.jpg#

The actual steel plate is less than half as thick as it seems from the side, due to the lid around the edges.

11 hours ago, SH_MM said:

Sorry, I forgot to explain that correctly: the diagram shows the armor of the Marder before the 1A3 upgrade. Source for the values is the book "Schützenpanzer Marder: Die technische Dokumentation des Waffensystems" by Lohmann and Hilmes.

Ah, that makes sense! Sadly a Tankograd issue is the only thing I've here about it and it lacks info in this area. 
The lid was expected because a ~30mm baseplate would be a bit heavy ;)

• 3 weeks later...

A few photos regarding the Boxer's armor:

General:

jNzE6rv.pngiEyMsdK.png

YHnuURZ.jpg

Note that the Boxer is - like the AMV - not protected against RPGs in its basic configuration. Additional armor packs or active protection systems have to be installed.

Frontal hull armor:

walk-around-detailbilder-gtk-boxer-sanit

042g.jpg

Note that there is a change in thickness of the spaced armor (see left corner). The upper portion's outer armor layer is about twice as thick..

Wdy77bP.jpg

The outer layer of the spaced armor seems to be maybe 5 mm thick at the lower (thinner) portion and ~10 mm

hCfOUPY.jpg

The thickness of the armor at the center seems to be thicker by a considerable amount. 

XHXakpP.jpg

ERn7nQe.jpg

Upper section of the frontal hull / driver's hatch:

boxer_75_of_96.jpg

detailbilder-gtk-boxer-lance-walkaround-

The driver's hatch seems to feature a lot thicker add-on armor modules, probably because there is no spaced armor. Unlike the spaced armor, this might be ceramci composite armor.

boxer_83_of_96.jpg

The cover for the engine's radiator. Also note that there is an additional layer of side armor at the driver's hatch.

Side armor:

The side armor consists of AMAP-B ceramic armor modules bolted to steel plates, whcih are bolted to the structure of the vehicle.

MSF3Ol0.jpg

bHEENBo.jpgbVFnWuX.jpg

n5Byfo0.jpg

Also note that the Boxer A1 has additional aside armor at the drive module to better deal with EFPs:

Boxer_A1.jpg

Note the additional layer of armor arround the traffic indicators. It is not part of the Boxer A0 configuration:

GTK_Boxer_side.jpg

Additional roof armor against artillery bomblets:

9OtPvJ1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Did the side aplique armor just burn? It looks like mats from glassfibre or something similar are the only thing left of the sandwich. In the first picture there are white small titles between textile layers visible on an opened unburnt plate. I guess it's some ceramic titles but how come they burned? 

The photos show two damaged Piranhas - one hit by an IED and one that apparently burnt (after hit by an IED or something else...).

The armor is made by TenCate and follows the standard layout for lightweight bolt-on ceramic armor: ballistic cover, ceramic tiles, backing made of kevlar or other polyaramides. The small tiles are also visible on the second vehicle, but only at a few places next to the bolts. The armor panels/ceramic tiles were most likely removed after damage, .

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sksslrkalqek said:

Korean

K-21 IFV protection data

Eg4ANKKVoAAZW-n?format=jpg&name=small

Hide contents

front : 30mm APDS (BMP-3)

side : 14.5mm API

Daewoo's K21 is 25 tonne class vehicle with Al, fibreglass and Alumina.

AS21 is 42 tonne class vehicle with steel,  although Hanwha is major plastics petrochem company and used to make lots of silicon including some silicon carbide.

21 hours ago, SH_MM said:

Yes, no protection against 30 mm APFSDS. AEP-55 Volume 1 (1st edition) also specifies no 25 mm APFSDS threat.

So something equivalent to 3UBR8?

Was there ever a stanag 4569 that had a level 6 but not explicitly APFSDS?

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Must Be Spoon Fed
      Hello,

I'm interested in Soviet armor production and deployment. Especially of T-55 tank and its variants. Sadly, most sources touch this subject very generally while I would want to get a more detailed view. How much tanks were produced in which country and at what year. Were Soviets producing armor for themselves or for export. Any source which would go into bit more detail about it is appreciated. I would appreciate if someone could help me find information required about those tanks as so far I can rely only on quite general information. 
    • By SirFlamenco
      I want to calculate the weight required to make an armor that can resist 7.62 RUAG SWISS AP, also known as VPAM level 12. I needed a baseline so I took NIJ Level IV and then tried to find the difference of weight so I could get a percentage. The only plate that's still made for this threat is the TenCate CX-950 IC. This plate is 8.93 lbs for a sapi medium and is alumina in-conjonction with soft armor. I then needed to find a Level IV alumina IC, which I found on UARM's website. It's 7.6 lbs, so if we do 8.93/7.6 we get around 1.175, but I put 1.25 considering UARM's plates are often quite heavy. Now that we have 1.25, we can start applying it to silicon carbide and boron carbide. Denmark's group has a level IV silicon carbide plate at 5.95 lbs, so times 1.25 it gives 7.4375. Hesco's boron carbide IV plate is 5.1 lbs, so times 1.25 we get 6.375.

Now, I wanted to know what was the weight for hardened steel. I took MARS 600, which is one of the best armor steel you can get. Using this page, I can easily calculate that you would need about 19mm to stop it. Using a calculator, we know that a full inch sapi medium plate would weight 33.9 lbs. 19mm/25.4mm = 0.748 inch so if we do 0.748*33.9 we get 25.3572 lbs. 

The problem is obvious : How is boron carbide 4 times as light as steel? Silicon carbide is 3.4 times as light too? It doesn't make any sense, giving that they are both around 2.2 ME and hardened steel is 1.3 ME, so it should be around 1.7 times heavier for steel. What did I get wrong? 
    • By Gripen287
      Do you like pontificating on the infantryman's load? Want to see how different gear choices affect said load?  If so, check out this spreadsheet including an itemized list of "best of breed" (IMHO) gear! Download it and customize to suit your own preferred equipment.  The "Configured Totals" section should auto-calculate weights and ammunition totals for your selected items, and you can copy and paste "Configured Totals" values into the light and heavy load sections for comparison. 

I've tried to provide a fairly comprehensive list of gear for the rifle squad and machine gun teams.  A few items are notional, and those should be noted as such. I've also tried to balance both lightness and capability.  I, however, mostly intend this spreadsheet to serve as an outline and handy way to calculate total values for any items you choose to add or change.

While I'm sure there are a more than a few errors, this spreadsheet is merely intended as a starting point for your own explorations, and I am NOT likely to maintain this particular version. Enjoy!

Infantry Packlist Spreadsheet
    • By Indigo
      Hey y'all, long time no see. I Thought I understood the premise of perforated armor, but earlier today I realized I probably don't. I thought perforated armor was just supposed to damage/decelerate a projectile as it passed through, but then I realized that I thought that's what spaced armor is for, so what's the difference. I also realized I may not really know what perforated armor is at all. I realized that I simultaneously associate two fairly different images with perforated armor.

I imagine this as just breaking small projectiles as they hit it. But then there's this

which appears to have slots all throughout it, which is more of what I think of when I think of something being perforated, but this doesn't look like it really serves the same purpose, nor do I have any idea what purpose this does serve now that I think about it. So what am I missing about perforated armor(and whatever one of these things is if not perforated armor)?