Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Britons are in trouble

Mighty_Zuk

11 minutes ago, SH_MM said:

Doesn't the British army have any system similar to IDZ-ES or GLADIUS 2? 

For years the British Army had a program called “FIST” (future infantry soldier technology or similar). Having used the FIST BMS software back in the day, all I can say is “no thank you” - real gen zero stuff. Putting it on was like falling into a pit of snakes (lots of cables)...just one problem amongst many. 

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

I hope that isn't the mortar because it looks like you have to exit the tank to use it.

It also doesn't look like the most practical place to add a mortar (if it were me I'd have it set on the turret roof behind the two hatches, where you could at least manually reload it) as its implies you have to traverse the entire turret to get it to bear onto its target. As for elevation, I'm not sure that wire sticking out at the bottom of the mount is meant to pull the tube towards the desired angle or if it's a data cable (in which case, I have to wonder whether the mortar barrel isn't actually some sort of antenna like a mini-CREW Duke, but then again...it's still a weird place to put such a device, since you could put that on the back of the turret).

And besides, what is that mortar supposed to shoot? A large smokescreen canister? Chaff? Don't tell me it's just an HE shell, leave that stuff to the infantry.

That mortar is completely useless. Impossible to aim, impossible to reload in combat conditions. Even ancient WW2 german Nahverteidigungswaffe would be 1000% more useful.

All in all, this "upgrade" is quite disappointing, looks like if somebody without any expertise with tanks would have thrown it together. I agree with Looser, the T-72B urban upgrade was far better than this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

Less competition for the Challenger 2 refresh?

Honestly, I'd completely support the UK MoD at this point if they'd just pit the CEOs of Leonardo and Rheinmetall against each other for a rock-paper-scissors game and have the winner do the work as fast as possible.

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Is it too early to take this as a guarentee the Challenger 2 is getting a new gun?

Even if Rheinmetall wins the chances of it getting a new gun is 50/50.

Peter Hardisty, managing director of Rheinmetall Defence UK, talked in the following video about the LEP:

Go to 3:00 for stuff about the Challenger 2. Notice he still talks mostly about electronics, not so much about a gun. Actually I haven't noticed any mention of a gun, so it seems they're either not going that way anymore and are perhaps trying to strike this deal at a low price, and try to capitalize on their know-how on the vehicle to later push for a gun upgrade as a separate program.

Also at 2:58 my boy Vago Muradian says:

Spoiler

You have the Merkava, obviously... very Israeli.

Is that because of the short barrel?

1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Go to 3:00 for stuff about the Challenger 2. Notice he still talks mostly about electronics, not so much about a gun. Actually I haven't noticed any mention of a gun, so it seems they're either not going that way anymore and are perhaps trying to strike this deal at a low price, and try to capitalize on their know-how on the vehicle to later push for a gun upgrade as a separate program.

Gun is being considered a key factor for Rheinmetall's offer in their slides for the investors' conference in January 2019.

jOTnG57.png

1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Also at 2:58 my boy Vago Muradian says:

Always find it ridiculous how people decide to speak about "the three best Western tank" (or four in this case) and then include the Challenger 2 over the Leclerc...

1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

Gun is being considered a key factor for Rheinmetall's offer in their slides for the investors' conference in January 2019.

jOTnG57.png

Always find it ridiculous how people decide to speak about "the three best Western tank" (or four in this case) and then include the Challenger 2 over the Leclerc...

Is the program budget set for approximately 800 million euro, or are Rheinmetall saying they can do the LEP including switching a gun for that amount?

Thanks btw.

53 minutes ago, TokyoMorose said:

At least nobody puts the C1 in that competition!

Still better than the CR2.

#ChangeMyMind