Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

American Sniper Draws Iraqi Audiences

Sturgeon

I have not seen the film.  I suppose people like a good war film regardless of who it is about.  I will say that I am always slightly suspicious of anything published in the NY Post.  It's not exactly the finest of newspapers.  Still, interesting response.

Earlier today I made a facebook post regarding sniper movies.  It was:

So snipers have been in the news quite a bit. Guess it has to do with this new Clint Eastwood Movie. Even local steakhouses seem to have an opinion on the matter. Personally, I have not seen the film and I probably won't bother to watch it. If it had been up to me to make a movie about a sniper, it would have been about World War II Soviet sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko. I have three reasons for this.

1) She was credited with shooting 309 Nazis. If you are going to shoot 309 people, Nazis are probably your best choice. Those guys kinda had it coming.

2) She became friends with Eleanor Roosevelt.

3) Woody Guthrie wrote a song about her.

I rest my case.

I saw it.  Wasn't overly impressed. Was hollywooded up a bit more than I would have liked. Does draw attention to the abysmal treatment of american vets returning home, so there is that.  How western countries treat returning combat troops is shameful.  Probably my single biggest beef with the Harper Gov't is how they have completely and utterly failed our vets coming home from 'stan.  I view it as a national disgrace and a violation of the covenent between service memebers and the government. 

That's Texas for ya. I'm starting to believe the Texans who talk like it isn't really America.

I saw it.  Wasn't overly impressed. Was hollywooded up a bit more than I would have liked. Does draw attention to the abysmal treatment of american vets returning home, so there is that.  How western countries treat returning combat troops is shameful.  Probably my single biggest beef with the Harper Gov't is how they have completely and utterly failed our vets coming home from 'stan.  I view it as a national disgrace and a violation of the covenent between service memebers and the government. 

Damn straight. Under no circumstances is it acceptable to externalize costs onto the people who put their lives and bodies on the line to scrounge pennies. If you can't pay for the people damaged by a war you have no right whatsoever getting in it unless it's a matter of absolute necessity and there's no other options.

• 1 month later...

Sets explosive devices...

Texas declares ‘Chris Kyle Day,’ as Medal of Honor petition drive launches

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/02/texas-declares-chris-kyle-day-as-medal-honor-petition-drive-launches/

Walks away...

Trying to blow up the forum Donward?  I'll do you one better and say that Chris Kyle is quickly becoming the closest thing the US has to Karl Korner.